News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 556     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Honour System/Proof of Payment

Imagine what would happen if Kinnear represented another "essential service" in this city... like the police, firefighters or EMS workers.

Um..but they risk their lives to save lives. Its a bit more valuable than $2.75. And he's right. Why should they get in a potentially violent confrontation with a passenger?

Is your life worth $2.75?

The union is not saying it will tell people not to pay the fare, just not to *enforce* the fare should passengers decline to do so, which they currently have the discretion to do already. Drivers do this every day. This action is just taking that current provision to its extreme. More to the point, why should they get risk getting beaten up by some POS asshole, then not be supported by management when they are?
Imagine what would happen if Kinnear represented another "essential service" in this city... like the police, firefighters or EMS workers
What would happen? Well, whoever he represented, he would try to improve their working conditions, as he's attempting do here, essential or non-essential. That's his job. Don't know why this "infuriates" you, unless you feel certain classes of workers aren't in need of protection.

The union is not saying it will tell people not to pay the fare, just not to *enforce* the fare should passengers decline to do so, which they currently have the discretion to do already. Drivers do this every day. This action is just taking that current provision to its extreme. More to the point, why should they get risk getting beaten up by some POS asshole, then not be supported by management when they are?

Exactly. The Union is absolutely right to protect their workers. Their physical safety isn't a petty issue.

What if they just made it all automated, and no TTC collectors would be needed?

I'd rather make surface transit free, but get rid of free transferring to the subway. Given that most people end up on the subway anyway, let them pay a fare when they pass through the turnstyle. There could be a dedicated fare collector for people paying exact change.

It used to *kind of* work that way when zone fares were still in use. The subway was a separate "zone" and required a new fare.

This is just a matter of laziness. That's all unions do: protect the workers who don't want to do their job.

On MT it is the opposite. The bus drivers are the bus Nazis, demanding that students show their school ID, and not accepting even last years school ID, even though the students are obviously young and are wearing their uniform and the bus stop is right in front of the school. Of course, this delays the bus for at least five minutes and the rest of the people on the bus not only have to endure the long wait, but also the bus driver's screaming at the students in the meanwhile.

So if the bus drivers get their ass kicked by the passengers it's their own fault and I have no sympathy for them.

Leaving aside the fact you just contradicted yourself as MT drivers are unionized... :rolleyes

I guess the whole student ID issue affects you directly as it seems you have lots of growing up to do. And the fact you tell me you have "no sympathy" for when someone gets assaulted for doing their job tells me you're callous to boot, on top of being ignorant. Any other people you like seeing the shit kicked out of? Old ladies walking out at night (should know better than to go out at that time, etc.)? Enlighten us.

This is just a matter of laziness. That's all unions do: protect the workers who don't want to do their job.

On MT it is the opposite. The bus drivers are the bus Nazis, demanding that students show their school ID, and not accepting even last years school ID, even though the students are obviously young and are wearing their uniform and the bus stop is right in front of the school. Of course, this delays the bus for at least five minutes and the rest of the people on the bus not only have to endure the long wait, but also the bus driver's screaming at the students in the meanwhile.

What the hell was that?

How the f*ck do you compare dealing with students to dealing with commuters who abuse their bus driver?

Doady. That was what I like to call a miketoronto post.

The drivers should inforce the rules when its safe to do so.
We should not just let the thugs win everything.

I have been on many TTC routes where the driver does not take crap, and just kicks the thugs off. If they know the TTC won't put up with that crap, then they will change.

I have had a bus driver kick a guy off a Blue Night bus on York Mills at 3AM in the morning for not having proper fare.

Some drivers are just tought.

You don't see GO not inforcing fare. They have fare inspectors who are very tough.

Why don't we just put the drivers behind a barrier. All the buses in England have them. Just a little pass through to hand the driver money.

So if the bus drivers get their ass kicked by the passengers it's their own fault and I have no sympathy for them

So if the bus driver asks for identification he/she should get their ass kicked, but they are lazy if they don't ask for identification?

So in your world, nobody wins, huh?

Why don't we just put the drivers behind a barrier. All the buses in England have them. Just a little pass through to hand the driver money.

I was thinking the same thing too. In Cape Town the drivers are behind these huge shields, and these drivers tend to deal with wilder customers at times than the TTC.

100_6521.jpg

Now, granted they also allow customers to make change and that might not work on the TTC as we handle way more passengers. Point is that the driver is well protected.

I dont think it is related but a couple times lately (ie last night around 9ish) I was leaving at King station and the booth was empty. So it was kind of an honour system for those paying by cash or ticket because you could just walk through the turnstiles. It happened another time at St. Andrew, where the collector was just leaving with a buddy to go for a coffee when I arrived. It was kind of annoying b/c I had gone in to buy a metro pass and the attendant just told me to go somewhere else to buy one.

doady:

I have been riding on MT as a student for years now, and I have only been carded once. On the other hand, I have witnessed station collecters being strict with making sure the kids show their student ID. I am not sure where you got this impression of MT bus drivers being "Nazis".

On the issue of driver safety - I wonder if there is a subtle button that drivers can use to silently contact the police? I guess this sort of thing will have to wait for the use of GPS tracking on buses.

AoD

Back