News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 371     0 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

Bay platforms would likely be tracks 5 through 8. Those are the longest tracks/platforms in the station, and can each hold a pair of full-length GO trains.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

True. I just figured you would want the central 'split' (the platform area between the EB and WB tracks) to be at the north end of the station, accessible directly from the Great Hall (without having to go down to any of the concourses and then back up), as opposed to in the dead middle of the station, where it would only be accessible from the concourses below.

Also, if length is an issue, they can be extended slightly beyond the trainshed.

This project should have been awarded to a European group. North Americans simply do not have the vision to build anything grand when it comes to Public Transportation. Its a continent built for the car.

Calling a railway shed from the 1900s heritage is a crime. Only the glass roof is decent. They should have a replaced the whole structure with the glass roof and kept a small portion of the original shed.

@ninetykman

One of the very first posts in this string, from 2006:
Re: Union Train Shed Replacement & $600 million in GO up

Calatrava!

70003854_642803b3e3.jpg

This is what we could have wed, instead, we got the wicked witch of the what?

VIA Rail has no run through trains and should be able to unload and load faster than they do today.
VIA Train 69 runs weekdays and Sundays from Montreal to Aldershot. It runs through Union.

I've certainly been on other VIA trains arriving at Union, and there's been an announcement that those heading to Montreal (or Ottawa on other occasions) can stay on the train, as the same trainset would be carrying on.

VIA Train 69 runs weekdays and Sundays from Montreal to Aldershot. It runs through Union.

I've certainly been on other VIA trains arriving at Union, and there's been an announcement that those heading to Montreal (or Ottawa on other occasions) can stay on the train, as the same trainset would be carrying on.

With the current schedule, there are 6 trains daily that run through Union Station in service. There are also 3 others that run in and back out in service without first heading to the TMC, two from the east and one from the west.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I was walking today over the tracks en route to CN Tower and noticed that they are rebuilding one of the external platforms to west of the train shed (in the middle, maybe 9/10?). Are these external platforms ever actually used (now)?

@ninetykman

One of the very first posts in this string, from 2006:

This is what we could have wed, instead, we got the wicked witch of the what?

Sigh. That would have been a far nicer choice; ideally w/the platform situation resolved all at once as well.

I was walking today over the tracks en route to CN Tower and noticed that they are rebuilding one of the external platforms to west of the train shed (in the middle, maybe 9/10?). Are these external platforms ever actually used (now)?
VIA Rail uses them for trains that are longer than the 12 or so cars that fit inside the covered section.

Particularly for The Canadian in the summer, where I've spotted 3 or more cars sticking out of both ends of the station on occasion. Must have been 18 cars long!

Particularly for The Canadian in the summer, where I've spotted 3 or more cars sticking out of both ends of the station on occasion. Must have been 18 cars long!

The Canadian is, at times, the 2nd longest passenger train in the world (up to 33 cars apparently; I've seen it with 22 + 2 engines). I don't know if they still get that long or not.

Wiki indicates Australia holds records for longest passenger and freight trains.

I promised that I would not talk about the Victorian trainshed again. I lied.

Since Phil Verster said they are rebuilding the tracks to have wider platforms, I had a thought. Surely some of those annoying columns will be in the wrong place for the new wider platforms. What a great opportunity to deep six the entire dingy thing and create a piece of art with a light airy feel.

@Allandale25 ’s photos have all the charm and airiness of a Victorian workhouse. Would be great if the back end looked as great as the station will become.

Another angle of the signage boards on the platforms. Any chance that these will be electronic signs? The hanging units are quite substantial.
They look like electrical and other utility raceways to me, with peel off plastic protection for a buffed finish underneath. Looks like brushed stainless steel. Aluminum would be a poor choice due to the diesel exhaust being corrosive.
@Allandale25 ’s photos have all the charm and airiness of a Victorian workhouse.
I think you're far too kind. Victorian trainsheds are often wonders of light, grace and grandeur (although over the years, and through especially the last world war, much of the glass was damaged on some and never properly replaced).

Union looks more like a Soviet tractor factory.

Addendum: In all respect to @TransitBart he stated ""workhouse", and I mistakenly thought "trainshed" since reading up on so many of late, but to level the playing field, I'll add a proviso to my "Soviet tractor factory": 'After being bombed.' Even the Soviets weren't quite that glum and oppressive as the Moscow subway attests.

Last edited:
I’m usually only on the Union Station building thread, so a change in track configuration was not on my radar...

I see that the recent Star article on proposed major platform changes mentioned here: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...vel-boarding-for-go-trains.21140/post-1409516
...was previewed here: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...ment-track-upgrades-zeidler.3222/post-1400380

Is it just me, or are people going to go, ‘I thought they are just finishing a major refurbishing of Union!?’

Last edited:
Union Station Wide Platforms.jpg

This is a quick mock up for the west side of Union Station. 10 through tracks and two bay tracks. I haven't tried the east side yet. I assume the new west concourse would be under the bay platforms, on the other side of York. I am not an engineer, but this seems to be what they're after.

Back