News   Apr 19, 2024
 186     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 858     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 8.1K     2 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

First there is really no need for dedicated trains to Exhibition Place during the March Break.

Secondly, are they even running Niagara excursion trains right now?
There are people actually living in condos just north of Exhibition Place in Liberty Village. There's Hotel X to the south. There are events happening at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre, BMO field, Enercare Centre, Better Living Centre, etc..

The Lakeshore service is going to get some improvements in early April, but 15 minute service is not in the cards yet.

Dan

Early April?

It really sounds like Metrolinx is dragging its feet, waiting for the end of the fiscal year, or that the ministry is telling it to wait for a big pomp and circumstance media event.

There are people actually living in condos just north of Exhibition Place in Liberty Village. There's Hotel X to the south. There are events happening at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre, BMO field, Enercare Centre, Better Living Centre, etc..

I was referring to trains intentionally using the station as a terminus.

During larger events it makes sense to have trains stop at Exhibition from other lines but not in the off season. There is simply not enough demand given the proximity to Union Station and easy streetcar access.

The Lakeshore service is going to get some improvements in early April, but 15 minute service is not in the cards yet.

Dan
If 15-minute service isn't in the cards, then what is? Service was every 15 minutes in September 2021, and it's currently every 30 minutes.

There is an assumption in posts above that Metrolinx need only say "more service" and it will appear. A lot of people are needed to make Metrolinx service go - in track and vehicle maintenance, in dispatching, on-train crew, in Union Station, etc. etc. We are still seeing >1000 cases/day in incomplete PCR testing. I would rather MLX put on the service they can reasonably deliver than attempt a full schedule when they are only a small staffing speedbump away from cancellations.

[EDIT: the province can solve some of the capacity issues at present by reversing the recent mandate on Ont Gov employees to start coming into the office more - but doubtless commercial landlords are lobbying furiously for Ont Gov to "lead by example" and fill downtown Toronto towers again]

I wasn’t implying to run trains from other lines directly to Exhibition. The Lakeshore lines right now is currently at 30 min service and bringing back 15 min or better all day between Union-Oakville is all that’s needed. Niagara trains aren’t running at all besides the one rush hour trip per weekday per direction.
You know exhibition station has been under construction for over two years now and they haven't made much progress on making it an island platform. When is it actually supposed to be completed? They haven't even installed the North track yet.

You know exhibition station has been under construction for over two years now and they haven't made much progress on making it an island platform. When is it actually supposed to be completed? They haven't even installed the North track yet.
Exhibition hasn't had active construction since, IIRC, 2017. The contract was cancelled then prior to completion due to Metrolinx realizing the station would need a complete rethink for GO Expansion.

Demolition is underway next door right now for the OL.. which is a start of many years of construction there, likely running to 2030 at the earliest.

On the other side of the topic, why would they still run Omicron levels of service during March Break? Wouldn’t there be such a high demand for Exhibition, Niagara, Kitchener and Barrie travelers so more trains would be necessary? Kids are at school in class now so the time off would encourage more ridership with families and friends taking GO, especially with the fare discounts getting introduced.
students at Waterloo and Laurier had our break the week of Family Day -- so Go already missed that opportunity

I keep checking the Kitchener line schedule and being disappointed that we're *still* at peak-only train service. come onnnnn

• Sad
Reactions: anb
students at Waterloo and Laurier had our break the week of Family Day -- so Go already missed that opportunity

I keep checking the Kitchener line schedule and being disappointed that we're *still* at peak-only train service. come onnnnn
As much as I understand the complaints about crowding at peak hours on many Corridors, what exactly is the insufferable hardship here? That a few dozen students in Waterloo have to take the bus every hour to Bramalea to transfer into a train rather than having one of these connections every 4 hours replaced by extending one of these hourly trains to Kitchener, which would still take students traveling between Laurier University and any GO train station along the Kitchener corridor the same travel time (approx. 2h20) and the same number of transfers (i.e. 1)?

I habe no doubt that the service levels from last autumn (which, as we have already established, were the most frequent ever offered) will get permanently restored soon, but I don’t understand why restoring mid-day service to Kitchener would be such a high priority compared to much more glaring gaps across the network…

If 15-minute service isn't in the cards, then what is? Service was every 15 minutes in September 2021, and it's currently every 30 minutes.
It appears that first priority is restoring a lot of the service on the "branches", as well as extending the half-hourly service on the Lakeshore Line. There may also be the return of some limited expresses as well.

Dan

I've been forced to drive into the city a few times recently due to the lack of any weekend service on the Stouffville Line. It feels like it was restored a lot quicker after the last time lockdown restrictions were eased.

As much as I understand the complaints about crowding at peak hours on many Corridors, what exactly is the insufferable hardship here? That a few dozen students in Waterloo have to take the bus every hour to Bramalea to transfer into a train rather than having one of these connections every 4 hours replaced by extending one of these hourly trains to Kitchener, which would still take students traveling between Laurier University and any GO train station along the Kitchener corridor the same travel time (approx. 2h20) and the same number of transfers (i.e. 1)?

I habe no doubt that the service levels from last autumn (which, as we have already established, were the most frequent ever offered) will get permanently restored soon, but I don’t understand why restoring mid-day service to Kitchener would be such a high priority compared to much more glaring gaps across the network…
I mean I'm just commenting on something local to me lol. Ideally the system would be better across the board. A more noticeable gap for me would be the lack of route 30 buses on the weekends but AFAIK that's never been a thing

but it is really weird to see Metrolinx talking about all-day Union-Kitchener train service (article from yesterday: https://www.therecord.com/news/wate...oins-study-to-build-all-day-go-ridership.html) while simultaneously decreasing service on the same corridor. how does that work??

So for all the folks saying that service was obviously coming back, we’re now on to “well, what we had last year was probably excessive”.

And yes, I entirely agree that it is exceedingly weird how much more easily services were brought back after the first round of cuts.

I mean I'm just commenting on something local to me lol. Ideally the system would be better across the board. A more noticeable gap for me would be the lack of route 30 buses on the weekends but AFAIK that's never been a thing

but it is really weird to see Metrolinx talking about all-day Union-Kitchener train service (article from yesterday: https://www.therecord.com/news/wate...oins-study-to-build-all-day-go-ridership.html) while simultaneously decreasing service on the same corridor. how does that work??
Last October there were 3 counter peak roundtrip trains. One in the morning, Early afternoon and late evening. I would say the corridor is pretty much at capacity in that regard unless passing tracks were added West of Georgetown.

Back