News   Apr 22, 2024
 786     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 265     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 669     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

I find it so ironic that the bus that’s supposed to replace service on the *KITCHENER* line going directly there, does anything but its job replacing the train service on weekends. Instead we have another bus route so out of the way along the corridor that’s supposed to be it’s alternative service… If Metrolinx doesn’t see the problem in this then i don’t know if we’ll ever get the 30 on weekends especially if they do something like just increasing 25’s frequency and hoping for the best.
Yeah, in particular, not having the 30 on weekends feels like a legacy of the park-and-ride weekday commuter model, which was already out of step with reality even before COVID.

I’m going to add more evidence for metrolinx needing to increase service now: I’m on the 8am from Guelph - the last of the day - and over 50 people boarded. I’ve never seen the platform this crowded. I assume a lot of them are like me today where theyre not in a rush to get back to Toronto but they’d rather their journey doesn’t take an extra hour via bus. There’s definitely demand for mid day service and it can’t come soon enough.

I’m going to add more evidence for metrolinx needing to increase service now: I’m on the 8am from Guelph - the last of the day - and over 50 people boarded. I’ve never seen the platform this crowded. I assume a lot of them are like me today where theyre not in a rush to get back to Toronto but they’d rather their journey doesn’t take an extra hour via bus. There’s definitely demand for mid day service and it can’t come soon enough.

Be sure and tell Mx that; and if you can, publicly, via a medium like Twitter. Can't hurt.

Be sure and tell Mx that; and if you can, publicly, via a medium like Twitter. Can't hurt.
Seconding this. I'm a firm believer that increased train frequencies really only happened because of strong and consistent Waterloo Region lobbying. There needs to be more lobbying along the length of the line to build up frequencies so that Kitchener and Guelph can be the transfer hubs they're supposed to be and we can boost ridership. We need more short term improvements now, or else if/when whatever version of 2WADGO actually happens, the service launch will look like the London extension.

Reactions: dkt
Looks like the Milton Line riders could be using buses to get to/from Toronto.

CP issues 72-hour lockout notice to TCRC

Looks like nearby lines that are parallel to it like Lakeshore and Kitchener will be more than overcrowded today. This feels like a nice opportunity to use the unused bus bays at Kipling as that eliminates at least 30% of the traffic on the route.

Edit: looks like they might be running trains normally after all.

Seconding this. I'm a firm believer that increased train frequencies really only happened because of strong and consistent Waterloo Region lobbying. There needs to be more lobbying along the length of the line to build up frequencies so that Kitchener and Guelph can be the transfer hubs they're supposed to be and we can boost ridership. We need more short term improvements now, or else if/when whatever version of 2WADGO actually happens, the service launch will look like the London extension.
To be fair to the London extension, the ridership is quite decent on Monday mornings and Friday evenings.

The hourly weekend service is awful. There have been a few times where I wanted to run an errand using GO, but didn't bother because I could be waiting up to an hour for my train back home.

I've been checking here daily for the April 2 schedules. Hopefully they increase service on Lakeshore, and the Niagara train comes back as well. I'm planning on taking the GO train and then biking across the border on April 2 since the testing requirement will finally be gone.

Saw GO Train heading west on the Milton Line at Kipling on Sunday and assume GO will be running normal service on Monday

The hourly weekend service is awful. There have been a few times where I wanted to run an errand using GO, but didn't bother because I could be waiting up to an hour for my train back home.

I've been checking here daily for the April 2 schedules. Hopefully they increase service on Lakeshore, and the Niagara train comes back as well. I'm planning on taking the GO train and then biking across the border on April 2 since the testing requirement will finally be gone.

To add further, i was walking across the York concourse at Union and realized that the Barrie and Stouffville trains don’t run on weekends right now, and the concourse was jam packed just for the lakeshore trains. I could only imagine the stuffed feeling you would get being on these trains and knowing that its your only option as the frequency is only hourly.

I don’t think they should’ve waited until April to improve services. I know they know 100% that places opening up = more people traveling. It should’ve been done at least on the first week of March or the first day of March Break at the latest because this is more than ridiculous at this point.

Back