News   Mar 28, 2024
 500     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 327     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 339     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

I can count on one hand how many times I've taken GO in my life, so I am certainly not a reliable source for passenger usage. Last week I needed to pick up a vehicle that was spitting distance to the Mt. Joy GO station so I figured taking the train would be better than getting a ride up there. Got to say, the 17:29 train from Union was a Ghost town. I knew the train would not be very busy because GO's market would probably be WFH and not commuting, but it was certainly a lot less busier than I expected.

This pandemic should give an opportunity for GO Transit to evaluate the kind of service it provides now and what it should be providing.

It should give opportunity to expedite capital works projects, now that weekend trains are out of the way.

They should be taking advantage of the quieter system to accelerate GO Expansion works.

It should give opportunity to expedite capital works projects, now that weekend trains are out of the way.

They should be taking advantage of the quieter system to accelerate GO Expansion works.

Yes they need to move away from being a commuter system and find a way to integrate service and fares with local transit. There is a reason the TTC hasn't suffered as big of a ridership drop compared to GO.

Got to say, the 17:29 train from Union was a Ghost town. I knew the train would not be very busy because GO's market would probably be WFH and not commuting, but it was certainly a lot less busier than I expected.
I've taken that train, or one next to it, from Kennedy. Standing room only during regular times.

Ridership is massively down.

So since I have a lot of free time, I made a route that benefits Humber College/Finch West riders, to the west end of the gta. This could also make more sense once the go station at woodbine racetrack also opens as well. Imagine if this actually becomes a thing, where this could connect the whole region together:

Yes they need to move away from being a commuter system and find a way to integrate service and fares with local transit. There is a reason the TTC hasn't suffered as big of a ridership drop compared to GO.

Totally happening, its part of the plan, but its happening at a glacial pace. Its been 6 years since GO-RER was announced and we have barely scratched the surface of the work to be done.

So since I have a lot of free time, I made a route that benefits Humber College/Finch West riders, to the west end of the gta. This could also make more sense once the go station at woodbine racetrack also opens as well. Imagine if this actually becomes a thing, where this could connect the whole region together:

The one branch that travels via the 403 is very similar to the existing route 40:

Reactions: anb

They are apparently accelerating works on Stouffville and Barrie.

Totally happening, its part of the plan, but its happening at a glacial pace. Its been 6 years since GO-RER was announced and we have barely scratched the surface of the work to be done.

To be fair I don't think this is really true. Most of the works to create a functional RER system have started, or are in late planning. Stouffville and Barrie are moving to two tracks with ongoing station upgrades and major grade separations where Metrolinx deems necessary either under construction or being planned. Kitchener corridor is moving to four tracks with 401/409 tunnel and new platforms either under construction or in planning. Planning for additional track and layovers as well as stations for the rest of the network is also happening. We should be able to run all day 30 or even 15 minute services on all lines within about 3 years which was really what the RER commitment hinged on. Electrification, better trains, and optimization at Union will come a few years after but they are really only necessary to push us beyond that base 15 minute level of service, and honestly Metrolinx has its work cut out for it as they need to start ramping service back up basically immediately after the pandemic (might be a great time to establish new travel patterns tbh).

I can count on one hand how many times I've taken GO in my life, so I am certainly not a reliable source for passenger usage. Last week I needed to pick up a vehicle that was spitting distance to the Mt. Joy GO station so I figured taking the train would be better than getting a ride up there. Got to say, the 17:29 train from Union was a Ghost town. I knew the train would not be very busy because GO's market would probably be WFH and not commuting, but it was certainly a lot less busier than I expected.

I can say that among all the other GO riders I know from the Stouffville Line, which is a mix of about 20 friends and neighbours, we've all been WFH since last March. This line is VERY white collar and university student dominated.

I can say that among all the other GO riders I know from the Stouffville Line, which is a mix of about 20 friends and neighbours, we've all been WFH since last March. This line is VERY white collar and university student dominated.

I only used the Stouffville late evening when I worked next to Union. Living between Warden and Kennedy Stations it saved me time on my commute.

The Niagara excursion service was surprisingly busy in the summer, but that's a whole different can of worms. In general, GO ridership is way down.

Niagara is very tourist driven though so with Stay at Home orders and lockdowns the ridership is way down no doubt.

Back