News   Apr 18, 2024
 616     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.4K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Not for long, this whole area is slated for development.

I'm amused that people think development is 20-30 years out here.

Lets put some clarity on this; a landowner/developer is prepared to donate this land to Mx; and pay for the GO Station.......now.

There is little chance in my mind that that is based on building out 20-30 years from now.

I imagine a firm looking at the laws/policies of the province surrounding TOD and thinking about how much more development they can pile on this land by building the station.

I don't have the inside scoop on this site, but I would imagine phase 1 of any prospective development probably being built in parallel to the GO Station with subsequent phases over perhaps a 10-15 year period.

^ I saw that too and wondered what the purpose is. I assume it's got GO trains to pull into the station and let a CP train pass by? Wouldn't that cause an unscheduled delay at times for the GO train?
Or (more likely imo) Metrolinx is trying to negotiate a limited service expansion with CP. They obviously want to and PV has mentioned in past townhalls etc that headway is being made. But if it had been this year maybe there was no point in announcing during the pandemic (for obvious reasons - Milton doesn't need hourly two way rn), better to bank the good PR for a rainy day in the future.

Or (more likely imo) Metrolinx is trying to negotiate a limited service expansion with CP. They obviously want to and PV has mentioned in past townhalls etc that headway is being made. But if it had been this year maybe there was no point in announcing during the pandemic (for obvious reasons - Milton doesn't need hourly two way rn), better to bank the good PR for a rainy day in the future.

They would have to do far, far more work done than this one station to get to 2WAD. GO would have little immediate use for the south side platform considering that trains have to use the north track at the stations to the east and west. I doubt expansion is imminent - although, as noted, it’s good prudent futureproofing towards that in the future.

Either the render was a bit speculative, or it’s attributable to some of the newer faces at ML who might expect this kind of detail as it’s what they are accustomed to in stations in other places they might have worked. Certainly, in the context of CP’s operation it’s not particularly helpful.... sidetracking a GO train to meet or be passed by a CP style freight train would imply a long wait in the siding, given North American style operations.

- Paul

Toronto Premium Outlets could run a shuttle service too. Especially as Halton Hills still has no transit service (last I checked).

This would be a better terminus for the 511 Zum Steeles than Lisgar GO, especially if Milton Transit runs here, also serving the outlet mall. A lot of the 11/511 ridership at Lisgar comes off the GO buses and trains from Milton.

I wish the station was on the north side or at least the parking lot was on the north under the power lines. Make some better use of that space. Also cant go to the east of trafalgar theres a some sort of CP yard.

I guess if someone is donating that land and willing to build the station we take what we can get cause its definitely better then nothing.

Maybe after a few decades the parking lots can be developed and new ones put to the north

How much money do you save running a 6 car BiLevel compared to a bus? The only thing I can think of is having to pay for 1 crewmember instead of 3(?) and maybe that train engineers are more expensive?
Umm let's see. Track time, track maintenance, fuel, dead head costs, wear and tear on the vehicles and cleaning and sanitizing.

Just the sanitizing of 8 Bi-levels is like 16 times the surface area of one bus.

I wish the station was on the north side or at least the parking lot was on the north under the power lines. Make some better use of that space. Also cant go to the east of trafalgar theres a some sort of CP yard.

I guess if someone is donating that land and willing to build the station we take what we can get cause its definitely better then nothing.

Maybe after a few decades the parking lots can be developed and new ones put to the north
The Milton bus and Waterloo bus pass bye there. It wouldn't be hard to create a bus loop in the parking lot. That would be a start.

I believe there was a shuttle to Toronto before the pandemic.

The Milton bus and Waterloo bus pass bye there. It wouldn't be hard to create a bus loop in the parking lot. That would be a start.

I believe there was a shuttle to Toronto before the pandemic.
I’m pretty sure people would take a rideshare option to the nearest go station (Lisgar, or if a more frequent station, Meadowvale), and then take a bus or train from there to union for the return instead of waiting all day just for this one bus to come back. If there was a Trafalgar/401 park and ride, and it was located more near to the outlet, then that could even be better and an effective way to allow riders and tourists to get to the outlet at ease as the buses run all day at 30-45 minutes combined or better.

You'd think that Hydro One could be persuaded to allow a simple parking lot on the ROW, but they are pretty rigid about these things it seems.

You'd think that Hydro One could be persuaded to allow a simple parking lot on the ROW, but they are pretty rigid about these things it seems.
Liability and access...it's not more complicated than that. All the major utility providors (Enbridge, Hydro One, Bell/Rogers/Telus, etc) are like this, especially Enbridge and Hydro One because there's so much danger with their utilities. ,

The CP yard east of Trafalgar was setup for the Iron Highway that was shut down in 2018 and giving up on the Roadrailer that was follow by CN as well. No idea what the yard is used for these days.

Hydro One has change its view as what will be built under their transmission corridors these days compare to the past. There is an liability issues having vehicles parked under their lines and it only take one line to fail to wipe out a lot of park vehicles as well lives.

Another case where Metrolinx needs to rethink land use as well putting cars underground and development over them. At the same time, it needs to look to transit on getting riders to/from stations, but there will be a X percent that you cannot get them onto transit as its will be to costly to do so. That first and last mile is a killer.

Until CP can buy into GO service in their corridor using 4 tracks in place of current 2, getting more longer sidings built will be an issue for new and existing stations. Electrification is the killer when talking to RR's when it is not in the first place. The sooner battery power or X is on the market to move 3-12 car GO trains, the sooner we can get the RR to buy in to allowing 1-3 tracks for GO.

With the RR moving longer train than the past, they require less trains on the line but see them again over time as more goods are move by rail in the coming decades. Even short lines are moving to longer trains. The big issue with longer trains are the grade crossing as they disrupt the traffic flow and one reason for more grade separation are needed.

So the new route 41 is 3 hours 10 minutes long, which is longer than Presto's trip window of 3 hours. How does that even work?

Back