News   Apr 23, 2024
 287     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 871     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 488     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

It is better, but there is definitely a price limit. Whether that limit is closer to $1Trillion than $1Billion is up to the reader.

You often offer very sensible posts; this one, not so much.

There is no variation of this proposal that comes into the hundreds of billions/trillion mark; nor a material fraction thereof.

There are plenty of alternative choices to lower costs ranging from scaled-back stations; to greater efficiency in signalling, to, honestly buying up land in certain areas to simply make a new corridor (not the whole route, but being tied to the exact location of the existing corridor can be cost-inflating); along with a gradual build out.

There is no variation of this proposal that comes into the hundreds of billions/trillion mark; nor a material fraction thereof.

There are plenty of alternative choices to lower costs ranging from scaled-back stations; to greater efficiency in signalling, to, honestly buying up land in certain areas to simply make a new corridor (not the whole route, but being tied to the exact location of the existing corridor can be cost-inflating); along with a gradual build out.

In his defense you did say irrespective of cost. Which is something I see floated around here.

We don't live in a utopia. Sure greedy people do take more than their fair share, but this isn't a forum on class economics structures.

There simply is only so much in the pot to go around. We should spend it wisely. A certain subway extension is being built "irrespective of cost" and its a complete and utter unnecessary boondoggle thats sucking funds from other important projects.

It is better, but there is definitely a cost limit. Whether that limit is closer to $1Trillion than $1Billion is up to the reader.
What I find interesting is that has been some significant land costs already spent on this project. Metrolinx currently owns lands at the proposed Bowmanville and Courtice stations as well as the whole expensive process they undertook to expropriate the former Knob Hill Farms property in downtown Oshawa. In my opinion that would be a lot of money spent to just abandon that route.

NOTE to readers: Beamsville is between Grimsby and St. Catharines/Niagara Falls

I would not be surprised if Beamsville gets a GO station before Grimsby.

Why? I know the guy, met him a few times.

The guy behind this used to work in Hamilton, and he helped flip a few transit dominoes. Lincoln poached him away from Hamilton.

Beamsville now has local transit service, and Grimsby does not! Michael is working to deploying transit expansion there! In that small unknown place between Grimsby and St.Cat, essentially a suburb in middle of nowhere! Kudos to Michael Kirkopoulos for pushing a GO station instead of screaming about 403 widening. Would prefer to see more upgrades to the Grimsby subdivision instead of QEW width expansions, all the way through eventual electrification (especially if/when Empire Corridor electrifies in tomorrow's climate-change pressures).

I met Mike for the purposes of the LRT Advocacy endeavours, he helped some of the initial initiatives long before Metrolinx had local staff. Mike used to work for City of Hamilton (LinkedIn - Director of Corporate Communications and Intergovernmental Affairs) and I met him a few times for community-relations purposes. We talked over many things (including the theoretical Gage Road GO station) and he's pretty well-informed about GO. Mike is also more of an urbanist and pro-transit (LRT/GO) than the average suburban councillor.

Though some there are inspired by the Innisfil Uber Experiment, and other controversial “creative solutions”, they at least deployed a minibus transit service that now appears in transit apps and Google Transit — something you can’t do in Grimsby. And ridership was a third beyond predictions.

Note: Hamilton LRT Advocacy, which I founded in 2015, has historically been an instrumental contribution in several initiatives -- many delegations to City Hall -- and our advocacy's successful Gage Park LRT Station initiative that succeeded (original spark, CBC amplification, TheSpec amplification, resulting success, since people overwhelmingly asked for the station at the PIC). The successor to the Hamilton LRT Advocacy is now #yesLRT.

Importantly, I hope Beamsville GO is more TOD than average (than a parking lot), but it does fill a gap between Grimsby and St. Catharines. Zone the area around it at higher-than-suburban density.

Kirkopoulos can easily out-pace Grimsby to the point where Beamsville GO beats Grimsby GO in becoming an active stop on the Niagara line. It would just simply take a 1-to-2-year delay to Grimsby -- and an accelerated Beamsville TOD development plan (nondetached+walkable+uLinc+GO) in 38 acres owned by a Beamsville developer currently willing to cover a significant chunk of Beamsville GO station cost (in line with the new Metrolinx focus) -- and Beamsville might be seeing service first. The beginnings of amenities are next to there (a Sobey's supermarket and strip mall, plus also the 403 highway stop amenities is within a walking distance too) so that little patch is ripe for densifying beyond detached home density if you bring walkable+uLinc+GO together in that 38 acre location. The Beamsville Secondary Plan PIC slides has diagrams of 4 to 7 storey buildings. They appear to be planning-this-out on this faster than Grimsby is including the recent introduction of Beamsville's first permanent transit system. They are preparing to zone for urbanization-densification. Streetviewing the area shows the surrounding area appears clearly easily ready for urban-towns and lowrises (4 to 7 storey) apartment/condo blocks to initially begin with, and doesn't steal any existing Niagara vineyards. There's already a developer willing to help build Beamsville GO station and already owns that 38 acres next to the rail corridor -- a developer that Grimsby doesn't seem to yet have (as far as I know).

In the new TOD+developer focus of Metrolinx, non-taxpayer money will easily leapfrog Beamsville ahead of Grimsby, especially I know Mike Kirkopolous is friendly to transit+densification, and he has a way of diplomatically baby stepping the suburb community towards sensible TOD inclusion in the town.

Therefore, I rate Beamsville 50% chance of getting a real GO station before Grimsby.

Who knows?

Last edited:
The more northerly route that services downtown Oshawa is the better choice, irrespective of cost.

I do wish, as I've discussed with subway expansions that instead of debating endlessly the cost of doing something large all at once, they'd simply adopt the best plan but build out incrementally.

Let's just extend the line by one station towards downtown Oshawa over 5 years, rather than going to Bowmanville right away. Then slowly roll out to Courtice by year 8 and Bomanville by year 10/11.

Predictable, consistent, best project plan, affordable.

I do hold out hope that the project gets us away from turning the existing Oshawa GO into a branch... As much as they don't want to have to rebuild the station there, it's a one time cost while splitting the service will be a problem basically forever, and breaks the GO/VIA connection... As much as I'd like the route through central Oshawa I suspect Bowmanville is actually more useful closer to the 401, and given a choice between split service to Oshawa or the southern route I am left thinking the southern route might be preferable.

In the back of my head for Oshawa service is also that even discounting the importance of connection to VIA, Oshawa Station is probably better placed for connections to Simcoe St rapid transit than a station actually AT Simcoe, sharing the King/Bond pair with Hwy 2 service through downtown and serving commercial spots on Stevension south of Hwy 2 rather than the entirely residential Simcoe south. As nice a downtown(ish) station is, sidelining the existing Oshawa station would make a mess of network connectivity.

NOTE to readers: Beamsville is between Grimsby and St. Catharines/Niagara Falls

I would not be surprised if Beamsville gets a GO station before Grimsby.

Why? I know the guy, met him a few times.

The guy behind this used to work in Hamilton, and he helped flip a few transit dominoes. Lincoln poached him away from Hamilton.

Beamsville now has local transit service, and Grimsby does not! Michael is working to deploying transit expansion there! In that small unknown place between Grimsby and St.Cat, essentially a suburb in middle of nowhere! Kudos to Michael Kirkopoulos for pushing a GO station instead of screaming about 403 widening. Would prefer to see more upgrades to the Grimsby subdivision instead of QEW width expansions, all the way through eventual electrification (especially if/when Empire Corridor electrifies in tomorrow's climate-change pressures).

I met Mike for the purposes of the LRT Advocacy endeavours, he helped some of the initial initiatives long before Metrolinx had local staff. Mike used to work for City of Hamilton (LinkedIn - Director of Corporate Communications and Intergovernmental Affairs) and I met him a few times for community-relations purposes. We talked over many things (including the theoretical Gage Road GO station) and he's pretty well-informed about GO. Mike is also more of an urbanist and pro-transit (LRT/GO) than the average suburban councillor.

Though some there are inspired by the Innisfil Uber Experiment, and other controversial “creative solutions”, they at least deployed a minibus transit service that now appears in transit apps and Google Transit — something you can’t do in Grimsby. And ridership was a third beyond predictions.

Note: Hamilton LRT Advocacy, which I founded in 2015, has historically been an instrumental contribution in several initiatives -- many delegations to City Hall -- and our advocacy's successful Gage Park LRT Station initiative that succeeded (original spark, CBC amplification, TheSpec amplification, resulting success, since people overwhelmingly asked for the station at the PIC). The successor to the Hamilton LRT Advocacy is now #yesLRT.

Importantly, I hope Beamsville GO is more TOD than average (than a parking lot), but it does fill a gap between Grimsby and St. Catharines. Zone the area around it at higher-than-suburban density.

Kirkopoulos can easily out-pace Grimsby to the point where Beamsville GO beats Grimsby GO in becoming an active stop on the Niagara line. It would just simply take a 1-to-2-year delay to Grimsby -- and an accelerated Beamsville TOD development plan (nondetached+walkable+uLinc+GO) in 38 acres owned by a Beamsville developer currently willing to cover a significant chunk of Beamsville GO station cost (in line with the new Metrolinx focus) -- and Beamsville might be seeing service first. The beginnings of amenities are next to there (a Sobey's supermarket and strip mall, plus also the 403 highway stop amenities is within a walking distance too) so that little patch is ripe for densifying beyond detached home density if you bring walkable+uLinc+GO together in that 38 acre location. The Beamsville Secondary Plan PIC slides has diagrams of 4 to 7 storey buildings. They appear to be planning-this-out on this faster than Grimsby is including the recent introduction of Beamsville's first permanent transit system. They are preparing to zone for urbanization-densification. Streetviewing the area shows the surrounding area appears clearly easily ready for urban-towns and lowrises (4 to 7 storey) apartment/condo blocks to initially begin with, and doesn't steal any existing Niagara vineyards. There's already a developer willing to help build Beamsville GO station and already owns that 38 acres next to the rail corridor -- a developer that Grimsby doesn't seem to yet have (as far as I know).

In the new TOD+developer focus of Metrolinx, non-taxpayer money will easily leapfrog Beamsville ahead of Grimsby, especially I know Mike Kirkopolous is friendly to transit+densification, and he has a way of diplomatically baby stepping the suburb community towards sensible TOD inclusion in the town.

Therefore, I rate Beamsville 50% chance of getting a real GO station before Grimsby.

Who knows?

Interesting! I accidentally discovered Beamsville this summer when passing through on the way to NOTL. I'd never heard of it before, but it's a cute, quaint little town with some historic character in the centre. Very cool that the councilor there is pushing for a GO station to be built. Normally that's not what gets advocated in those kinds of places.

Sorry, you're right; it wasn't helpful.

"... at any cost" is a pet peeve of mine as I've gone to significant effort to prepare an estimate for well funded people unwilling to compromise on their technical requirements and had them freak out at what was a reasonable price for an unnecessarily complicated request. On other occassions (no free estimates without a stipulated cost cap) I've found professionally that "at any cost" means "I don't understand the problem well enough to know realize it may go well past my accepted limit".

Last edited:
As a daily ST rider I have lots of thoughts on this . . .

1) Stouffville Line RER actually is primarily serving Toronto, only 1 of 4-5-6 stations is in York. The transit service to Danforth, Kennedy, Agincourt AND Milliken is actually excellent so I think especially with the nicer stations you will see more and more riders from within Toronto, especially avoiding congestion on Line 1.

2) In the case that stations are getting frequent service and don't have a ton of residential right near them (industrial areas or what have you), I do think that's where GO should be considering parkades, especially if it means a shorter walk across a desolate parking lot and protection from the elements.

3) The connection to Downtown Markham for Unionville right now is a total joke, you need to walk a quite circuitous route to get to the platform. A better pedestrian connection with/after the station upgrade could cut the walk by 1/3 and make it much more attractive.

4) The service isn't that well used in the true middle of the day but, theres a decent number using the service after events and on the shoulders of the peak. I imagine its simply a matter of time until more riders are utilizing the midday trains.

5) I'm still surprised the number of people going from the TTC to GO at Kennedy, if similar levels start happening with those upgrade stations to the North I think ridership is looking pretty good. Lots of development as was mentioned including (eventually) a big new Chinese mall by Pmall at Milliken.

6) Hearing that people are using the services to avoid work on the Yonge Line is relatable, I really think GO ought to consider better advertising itself as an alternative in these cases. For people in the cities Northeast sector it can actually provide alternatives to both Line 1 and Line 2. Perhaps even see if the TTC would be willing to present it as an alternative to the subway when they are doing early closures.

7) The real concern from these people in the articel near the tracks are about noise and not actually that they are empty trains. I'm sure that they are empty AND making noise is an extra punch in the gut, but its because they find them a sound annoyance is why they complained in the first place. With electrification for GO RER, you will have far fewer diesel trains and the extra trains will be very quiet, and these complaints will go awat.

No Lakeshore East Train Service on the Weekend of October 26-27​

Lakeshore East trains will not be operating on the weekend of October 26 and 27. Lakeshore West and Niagara train service will not be affected and will continue to stop at Union Station.
However, there will be changes if you continue travelling east.
If you’re heading to Pickering, Ajax, Whitby or Oshawa GO Stations, you will need get off the train at Union Station and take a GO Transit Route 90B bus from Union Station Bus Terminal.
If you’re heading to Danforth, Scarborough, Eglinton, Guildwood or Rouge Hill GO Station, you can take the TTC. Visit triplinx.ca to plan your trip.
Regular train service will resume Monday, October 28. Learn more at gotransit.com.

^ Are they doing some track maintenance?

Per the GO website:

When we’re finished, there will be several benefits to Lakeshore East passengers including:
  • repairs to the Danforth Avenue bridge that will ensure your safety;
  • repairs of two railroad crossings in Pickering and Scarborough that will help minimize delays and help ensure you get to your destination on time;
  • track maintenance so we can continue to provide you with a comfortable commute;
  • upgrade of our signals equipment, which will improve train performance and prevent delays; and
  • installation of tactile yellow tiles on the platform at Ajax GO to remind passengers how far back to stand for their safety.

- Paul

Someone had tweeted to GO transit asking to extend the 7:47-9:51 train from 6 to 10 cars. The go transit Twitter said schedule changes are coming late October?. Anyone know what these schedule changes might have?
Screenshot_20191007-123036_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Someone had tweeted to GO transit asking to extend the 7:47-9:51 train from 6 to 10 cars. The go transit Twitter said schedule changes are coming late October?. Anyone know what these schedule changes might have?
Weekend service??

Back