News   Apr 22, 2024
 789     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 267     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 672     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Here are some pictures of the bus loop and the 60 completed parking spots. It sounds like route 12 will start serving Confederation GO on November 2. This is great news if you travel between Burlington and Niagara because this should get rid of the painfully roundabout current routing.
new12.png

There does not necessarily have to be a tunnel if there is a bridge over the tracks.
There is already an adjacent underpass next to Confederation station. Theoretically, Metrolinx can add stairs to both sides of the underpass.

Purple = The bridge already has room for an island platform.
Yellow = Stairs can be installed to allow people to go to platform on opposite side

(Photo credit: me, taken from this post)

(The yellow rectangles would be on opposite side, but you get the alignment)

The low-cost method would be
(A) Pour concrete in the purple platform-reserved area (north platform, but further to the east of bridge rather than on bridge), as well as on the south side (south platform, south of southernmost track)
(B) Put a temporary sidewalk across unbuilt tracks towards the actual northernmost platform (since no tracks in the way will exist for now). For now.
(C) Install stairs in the equivalent yellow areas (but behind-the-photographer edge, not the pictured edge) for accessing south patlform.

In theory, only $1M-2M to build the barebones interim Confederation station. In theory.

Or only one platform may be needed -- e.g. north platform -- if CN can let GO trains mainly use the north track for both directions -- then no stairs would be needed.

Attachments

• 1568065826537.png
    1568065826537.png
    551.2 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:
Interesting to note that with the new ridership numbers (https://metrolinx.files.wordpress.com/2019/09/click-here-to-view-the-new-go-ridership-map.pdf), slightly more than half of Stouffville riders are now from stations north of Unionville and its future 15-minute service. I expect much of this is due to riders in "Markham proper" no longer driving to Unionville for mid-day trips to avoid the bus connections at their local stops. I hope this leads to express service sooner than later and eventual plans for 30-minute service for the entire line.

Interesting to note that with the new ridership numbers (https://metrolinx.files.wordpress.com/2019/09/click-here-to-view-the-new-go-ridership-map.pdf), slightly more than half of Stouffville riders are now from stations north of Unionville and its future 15-minute service. I expect much of this is due to riders in "Markham proper" no longer driving to Unionville for mid-day trips to avoid the bus connections at their local stops. I hope this leads to express service sooner than later and eventual plans for 30-minute service for the entire line.
You mean all stops from Linconville to Unionville and then Express to Union?

Milton, Oakville, and Burlington Transit should have merged years ago. Even without merging systems they can do more to integrate.

Milton to Sheridan is about the same distance as Bramalea City Centre to Dixie transitway station, served by 185 Dixie Express (currently temporarily operated partly by Brampton Transit due to MiWay's bus shortage). In 2016, GO route 20 got around 274 boardings per weekday, compared to 1472 for 185 Dixie Express.

I think that a connection between two local destinations would more successful as a local route with local fares. GO is for the region.

Yes, I'd definitely agree, Doady.

The Route 20 was cut in June, but probably wasn't noticed much as it wasn't during the school year.

The massive outlet mall at Trafalgar Road is also inaccessible by public transit. Not so much for shoppers, but for the low-wage retail workers there. Despite its proximity to Brampton, Mississauga, Milton and Oakville, it's in Halton Hills, meaning that municipality has to enter an agreement for service. (The BT 11/511 service comes closest to it, at WCB and Steeles). It has no public transit, apart from the GO trains and buses along Highway 7.

Are there any plans for development immediately around GO rail stations? I feel like it's a huge missed opportunity to not have higher density developments in those areas. It would aid with building out a true downtown or city centre and centralize business and entertainment.

I believe there are proposals for Burlington, Appleby and Aldershot?

Back