News   Apr 24, 2024
 208     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2.3K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 614     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

^I also wonder what rights GO has in its agreements with CN and CP. Do they have to ask the railways’ consent each time they run a weekend special? Is there a de minimus volume that they can run if they choose to? Is there an informal agreement.... we will run for the odd key special events if you ask us, but don’t push the envelope?
Over the years I do recall other such specials, even to Milton... my dusty memory thinks that the Santa Claus Parade was a common theme, and maybe some other kids’ events. Possibly the railways are reluctant to say no in some cases for PR reasons. Or commercial reasons..... Canadian Tire was a huge intermodal customer for CP for years, and they were a high profile Santa Claus Parade sponsor.....wonder if that’s the connection.

- Paul

Sometimes I wonder. We are seeing this increasingly here in Ottawa where big event tickets include prepaid transit tickets. I presume those prepaid tickets are heavily discounted since not everybody uses transit. However, some of these 'free' events are actually much bigger and anybody using transit for those events would be paying full fare. It seems to me if 1,000,000 people are anticipated, transit should be prepared with extra service. Canada Day events in Ottawa have supplemental transit service that is actually free so that large crowds can be moved quickly.

In Metrolinx's own words, this is "to accommodate a significant number of advanced GO train ticket bookings that have been made".

It's an international conference. I suspect they have booked out a whole hotel by the airport, and they made these arrangements with Metrolinx so the international attendees can have a an easy walk to Malton GO Station where they head downtown in the morning, and then head back at night. GO probably runs it as a regular only because the train will be coming from and going back to weekend storage at Kitchener anyway.

It's an international conference. I suspect they have booked out a whole hotel by the airport, and they made these arrangements with Metrolinx so the international attendees can have a an easy walk to Malton GO Station where they head downtown in the morning, and then head back at night. GO probably runs it as a regular only because the train will be coming from and going back to weekend storage at Kitchener anyway.
They have trains stored in Georgetown, why Kitchener?

^I also wonder what rights GO has in its agreements with CN and CP. Do they have to ask the railways’ consent each time they run a weekend special? Is there a de minimus volume that they can run if they choose to? Is there an informal agreement.... we will run for the odd key special events if you ask us, but don’t push the envelope?
Over the years I do recall other such specials, even to Milton... my dusty memory thinks that the Santa Claus Parade was a common theme, and maybe some other kids’ events. Possibly the railways are reluctant to say no in some cases for PR reasons. Or commercial reasons..... Canadian Tire was a huge intermodal customer for CP for years, and they were a high profile Santa Claus Parade sponsor.....wonder if that’s the connection.

- Paul

There are protocols in place for GO to ask CN and CP to run special trains. The long and the short of it is - yes, GO needs to ask permission. Sometimes, permission is given, sometimes it's not. It depends as well as how the different freight railroad's scheduling looks to be that particular weekend as well, and how the planned GO runs will interleave with how CN or CP projects to have their own trains run.

Dan

There are protocols in place for GO to ask CN and CP to run special trains. The long and the short of it is - yes, GO needs to ask permission. Sometimes, permission is given, sometimes it's not. It depends as well as how the different freight railroad's scheduling looks to be that particular weekend as well, and how the planned GO runs will interleave with how CN or CP projects to have their own trains run.

Dan

I assume this is why trains to Nigeria leave at such awkward times from Toronto and the falls?

On the Metrolinx-owned ROWs there is no shortage of capacity for weekend service (subject to construction). (Barrie, Stouffvillle, LSE, LSW to Oakville, RH to Doncaster).

The same can more or less be said of late-night, though running rights mean there may be the odd freight at such hours, its nothing that would impede low levels of service in most cases.

Milton is a different matter, as are the non-owned (or beyond) portions of the KW and RH corridors.

The justification for weekends is clearly there in most, if not all corridors. Late nights may or may not be a different matter, where perhaps buses would suffice.

We need to stop this special weekend train nonsense and just have predictable, consistent weekend train service on all the train lines. Even if its a train every 3 hours in each direction. The specials are underused because not everyone has Metrolinx in their twitter feed.

We need to stop this special weekend train nonsense and just have predictable, consistent weekend train service on all the train lines. Even if its a train every 3 hours in each direction. The specials are underused because not everyone has Metrolinx in their twitter feed.

It's coming with the next major rail schedule change.

Dan

Back