News   May 03, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 686     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 311     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Someone remind me what's on this weekend that I forget to get tickets to!

So they didn't add all that service for Indy............but yet the following weekend merits this very substantial service increase? ?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favour............just genuinely curious.
Become a Jehovah Witness and find out

No disrespect to Jehovah Witnesses, but 45,000 is about the size of a sellout crowd at Skydome.

If that is the threshold ML uses to justify adding weekend service, then lots of other events in the city ought to receive the same treatment.

Of course, there will be a lot less need this weekend for GO fare enforcement and security than for, say, a Luke Bryant concert.

- Paul

No disrespect to Jehovah Witnesses, but 45,000 is about the size of a sellout crowd at Skydome.

If that is the threshold ML uses to justify adding weekend service, then lots of other events in the city ought to receive the same treatment.

Of course, there will be a lot less need this weekend for GO fare enforcement and security than for, say, a Luke Bryant concert.

- Paul
Don't some events in downtown attract 1,000,000 people, the Pride parade, Carabana? Do they get this extra service?

^ True re capacity at SkyDome but I would imagine there had to have been some kind of discussion with the organizers of this event to guartneee a certain amount of fares. Maybe the conference is including a GO fare in the ticket cost and paid Metrolinx upfront?

Service updates for the weekend here: https://www.gotransit.com/en/trip-planning/go-service-updates/train-schedule-changes

They run extra service when a homophobic cult has a conference? Pride, Caribana, TIFF and even Fan Expo and other big events should get weekend service too.

I believe this is the first time we are ever seeing weekend service at Kitchener GO.
I believe last year there was a weekend train for the Santa Claus parade bu it only went as far as Georgetown.

It's clear from the announcement that Metrolinx was paid money by this group to prepay for transit.

If Rogers or Maple Leaf Sports were to do the same, then I'm sure Metrolinx would happily do the same.

I believe this is the first time we are ever seeing weekend service at Kitchener GO.
I thought there was some for the CNE final weekend in ... 2017?

They run extra service when a homophobic cult has a conference? Pride, Caribana, TIFF and even Fan Expo and other big events should get weekend service too.
Perhaps those groups should put their money where there mouth is then!

^ True re capacity at SkyDome but I would imagine there had to have been some kind of discussion with the organizers of this event to guartneee a certain amount of fares. Maybe the conference is including a GO fare in the ticket cost and paid Metrolinx upfront?

In Metrolinx's own words, this is "to accommodate a significant number of advanced GO train ticket bookings that have been made".

It's clear from the announcement that Metrolinx was paid money by this group to prepay for transit.

Just for general interest I wonder what the numbers are. I assume it's enough to cover staff time, fuel, and the fees to CN? I wonder if it will be a six pack, ten or 12 pack train?

^Now I’m doubly curious. If there are advance sales - . Does that mean the trains are already mostly full? Are they in effect charters? In that case, why publicize them if they really aren’t for the travelling public? What is the minimum purchase before ML will run special trains? Is there a group discount applied?

- Paul

Possibly the advanced sales made the run financially viable and any additional pax is just gravy. If it was a charter, wouldn't it be a straight run from point to point? I wonder if there are any regulatory impediments that prevent GO from running an exclusive charter.

I wonder if the recent Stones concert organizers paid for the late-night Barrie service?

With all the games and special events that happen in Toronto, to do it on anything other than an occasional, paid for service might create operational problems.

Possibly the advanced sales made the run financially viable and any additional pax is just gravy. If it was a charter, wouldn't it be a straight run from point to point? I wonder if there are any regulatory impediments that prevent GO from running an exclusive charter.

I wonder if the recent Stones concert organizers paid for the late-night Barrie service?

With all the games and special events that happen in Toronto, to do it on anything other than an occasional, paid for service might create operational problems.

On the Metrolinx-owned ROWs there is no shortage of capacity for weekend service (subject to construction). (Barrie, Stouffvillle, LSE, LSW to Oakville, RH to Doncaster).

The same can more or less be said of late-night, though running rights mean there may be the odd freight at such hours, its nothing that would impede low levels of service in most cases.

Milton is a different matter, as are the non-owned (or beyond) portions of the KW and RH corridors.

The justification for weekends is clearly there in most, if not all corridors. Late nights may or may not be a different matter, where perhaps buses would suffice.

Back