News   May 02, 2024
 673     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 210     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 279     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

It's coming with the next major rail schedule change.

Dan
I have word that there will be 2 schedule changes coming in the Fall. Go Bus drivers have been told of 2 work sign ups, one that will start in late August, and one that will start in mid October. I suspect the Aug change will be mainly just bus schedule changes (re starting school extras etc.) and the Oct change will likely be those major rail changes if they are indeed coming.
Late August is an usual schedule change time, mid October is not.

I have word that there will be 2 schedule changes coming in the Fall. Go Bus drivers have been told of 2 work sign ups, one that will start in late August, and one that will start in mid October. I suspect the Aug change will be mainly just bus schedule changes (re starting school extras etc.) and the Oct change will likely be those major rail changes if they are indeed coming.
Late August is an usual schedule change time, mid October is not.

This is absolutely correct. There will be minor changes at the beginning of September which will be to reinstitute the school trips for the year, along with the odd minor adjustment.

The major ones will be a the end of October, and it sounds like they'll include changes on almost every rail corridor.

Dan

This is absolutely correct. There will be minor changes at the beginning of September which will be to reinstitute the school trips for the year, along with the odd minor adjustment.

The major ones will be a the end of October, and it sounds like they'll include changes on almost every rail corridor.

Dan

Why am I thinking there will be an elimination of weekday service to Niagara owing to low ridership..

According to this post by Steve Munro, it appears GO Bus service is about to be decimated!

I'll need further clarification on the entirely of these cuts (the wording is vague enough that it could mean a elimination of weekend bus service on the Kitchener corridor? - which is insanity).
But this is an attack on public transit of the highest order.

Reactions: rbt
The official denial of bus service decimation has arrived from Metrolinx on Steve Munro's website (appended to his article)

I am directly quoting below:

Updated 4:44 pm July 22: Metrolinx claims that the information posted on Facebook is not true.

The rumours are not accurate.
Buses form a vital connection between trains and communities not connected to train service or with limited train service.
Buses will always be an important part of our regional transportation plan. In fact, we are actively recruiting bus drivers to join our team.
We currently have a fleet of 532 buses and approximately 420 are used for service. We have more buses on the road today than we ever have and every year since our existence they have increased.
We are always monitoring our services to ensure we are making the best use of our resources.
We are embarking on the largest expansion of rail service in our history.
At times, when new train service is introduced it makes sense to redeploy bus services to other communities. Trains can carry far more passengers and shorten the trip.
It is difficult for us to comment on the presentation made to union members as we were not there. [Email from Fannie Sunshine 4:35 pm, July 22]

It's "not accurate," eh?

So is it 100% inaccurate, or 1% inaccurate? We will find out. The last bit "At times, when new train service is introduced it makes sense to redeploy bus services to other communities " is PR speak for "shit's gonan go down."

Back