News   Jul 30, 2024
 82     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 353     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 477     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

First GO Transit needs to fix its fare-by-distance scheme.

The following trip-pairs should be exempt:

32-19 (Bramalea-York U, same fare as 20-19, almost double the distance)
32-02, 33-02 (Bramalea-Union, Brampton-Union) - higher fare than farther station pairs such as 44-02 (Aurora-Union).

As if. GO hasn't even delivered on its promise of improved Georgetown Corridor bus services.

GO should implement a percentage based increase rather than a price based increase. To an adult commuting from Barrie, this represents a 1.5% increase. To a student commuting from Oriole, it represents a 4.5% increase.

If GO decided to implement a flat 2.7% fare increase for all types of trips from all stations, the fare from Barrie would increase by 28 cents, while the student fare from Oriole would increase by 8 cents.

I also agree with you there. It's very disproportionate for 416 and inner 905 commuters. But again, this is GO Transit we're talking about. The cabbageheads don't think that way.

GO should implement a percentage based increase rather than a price based increase. To an adult commuting from Barrie, this represents a 1.5% increase. To a student commuting from Oriole, it represents a 4.5% increase.

If GO decided to implement a flat 2.7% fare increase for all types of trips from all stations, the fare from Barrie would increase by 28 cents, while the student fare from Oriole would increase by 8 cents.

IIRC, that was brought to the GO board during the last fare increase 2 years ago.

And I agree with you, Chuck. I also like your show.

I guess a percentage based increase would be next to impossible to calculate though, especially since they would have to look at every single possible fare combination and individually adjust it to ensure it was rounded off to the nearest nickle. That's one of the downsides of fare-by distance, and its one reason why I don't support it for local transit services - but that's prolly another thread.

I also agree with you there. It's very disproportionate for 416 and inner 905 commuters. But again, this is GO Transit we're talking about. The cabbageheads don't think that way.

It's also disproportionate on people who want to do shorter intra-905 commutes. I'm sure the management at GO couldn't comprehend that such a thing exists, but there are lots of people who could do this but are put off by the cost.

About five years ago, I lived near a GO station and my job was two stations away. It was a 10 minute train ride. The monthly pass was $110! I just checked the current fares and, after this fare increase, it will be $143!

Well really unless you go to UNion and back on the train, why else would anyone go on GO???

A colleague of mine has started coming on an earlier Barrie train - the car park is already full, months ahead of projections, and the city centre station is now back on the table.

Any New Service improvement news?

Drum; you always seem to have the inside scoop.

Are we likely to get any major service improvements this fall from GO?

I know they will finally be finished the new third track in the east end.

I'm hoping that means we finally get more service here!

Anyone else with news/insight feel free to jump in.

I wish they would just put the GO Transit board mtg agendas online :mad:

I was wondering they can always add a line to Bolton which would serve, Extreme end Northern of Toronto Vaughan, Brampton East and Bolton.

One station on Steeles, the other at Langstaff and one at Bolton.

It would be only a morning/evening service

4 trains in the mornings/4 in the late afternoon.

From GoTransit.com:

New 12-car trains on the Milton line

As we introduce our new, more powerful locomotives into service, we can now start lengthening Milton line GO Trains to 12 cars from the usual 10. This will make more seats available to our customers and help ease crowding on the trains.
All trains on the Milton line will eventually have 12 cars. Service with the extra passenger cars will be phased in starting Tuesday, April 8, with your afternoon homebound trip.

By Thursday, April 10, these trains will have 12 cars:

· The weekday eastbound train that arrives at Union Station at 7:42 a.m.

· The weekday eastbound train that arrives at Union Station at 8:32 a.m.

· The weekday westbound train that leaves Union Station at 4:30 p.m.

· The weekday westbound train that leaves Union Station at 5:10 p.m.

More info for Streetsville passengers
Until a longer platform is built, all trains will only open certain doors at Streetsville GO Station. Signs on the platform will show where the doors will open.
When heading home, please board the train at the very east end of the platform at Union Station, closest to the locomotive. Signs will be posted to help direct you.

More info for Meadowvale passengers
Until construction is finished, all trains will only open certain doors at Meadowvale GO Station. Signs on the platform will show where the doors will open.
When heading home, please board the train at the very west end of the platform at Union Station, at the opposite end from the locomotive. Signs will be posted to help direct you.

At all other stations on the line, all train doors will open.

http://www.gotransit.com/PUBLIC/en/news/bulletin/April 8_New 12 car trains on the Milton line.htm

My aunt (lives in pre-boom Milton) is ecstatic that they're bringing 12 car trains sooner than later. It's not the solution to our problems, but it'll help until more trains can be added.

In other news, a GO bus has been spotted with a bike rack on the front. Some say its been around for a few months, some a few days. Either way, its a good sign.

12-car trains are a necessary evil for now. Until Milton can get more frequent service, we'll just have to keep adding cars. Just wait until Milton trains are 20-cars! lol. Although having to deal with CP, we may have to wait that long.

I think demand warrants for all day service to Brampton station and it to be increased to every hour at least

like there should be a trains going to Union from 9am-2pm every hour and there will be people using the train.

Also they should also run a last late train close to 8pm instead of 6:45...

However it appears the all day service will go to Brampton station soon it appears as they are widening the overpasses for more rail lines. Also a Station could be added near Woodbine if there are more developments there...

There would be a lot of use as many people take the TTC in that area to go downtown. Lots of people from Brampton East and Rexdale and really Etibcoke north is in the middle of nowhere. They could close that station really, its useless!!

not really but it covers a large area and imo woodbine would cover many more people.....

Back