News   Jun 17, 2024
 299     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 297     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 448     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Old news, but this article says the entire upgrade will be done in 2008.

A little ambitious are we? Every other document I've read said it would take years.

Here's the new system map with today's rail extension to Barrie added...

web_system_map.gif

And a picture fromt this morning's opening...

BarrieSouthevent1_web.jpg

I think that was yesterday's opening. To their credit - they gave a free ride to Bradford and back from Barrie.

I said it before and I'll say it again - the GO system map is a piece of cartographic puke.

A few bad errors - like the new Guelph U service, where there's a line that continues west along the 401 after the bus route cuts out. And the bus uses Brock/Gordon, not Highway 6 from the 401 to Guelph U.

What's the program that you used for your maps? I'd like to try to create a new GO system map. Is it Open Source?

From the Barrie Examiner

City eyes second GO station

Allandale property a possible site

Posted 1 day ago

Barrie could be getting a second GO train station sooner rather than later.

City councillors will discuss developing the Allandale Station property as a commuter train venue at Monday’s meeting.

A business plan could be ready as soon as May 31, and then sent to the province.

Couns. Jeff Lehman and Jerry Moore say that higher-than-expected ridership on Barrie’s GO trains, which leave and return from the St. Paul’s station on weekdays, means a second site should be investigated by city staff immediately.

Lehman says the current ridership could be increased.

“I think there are a lot of people in the north, east, and central parts of the city who have a 20- or 30-minute drive to get to the Barrie-south (St. Paul’s) station,†he said. “Once you’re in your car for half an hour, I’m guessing a lot of people just say, ‘to heck with it’, and drive all the way (to work, and don’t take the train).â€

Greg Ashbee, of GO Transit, said

St. Paul’s was chosen as the primary train station because most of its customers live in Barrie’s south end.

“But a secondary station serving the downtown area is certainly worth a look,†he said. “If the city is willing to put some money into it, certainly we would be interested.â€Lehman says Allandale Station is

also inside Barrie’s ‘City Centre’ area, which the province and the city have both designated for development intensification.

“This means there will be more people living in the area who can walk, bike, or take Barrie Transit to the (Allandale) station,†he said. “The presence of the station will also probably help us attract more development.â€

Lehman said stations in Oakville and Hamilton have helped attract development to those immediate areas.

“All of this I would expect to increase ridership — to attract people who aren’t taking GO today,†he said.

A GO Transit official said that while new Barrie ridership numbers won’t be released until next week, it’s estimated about 500 people are using St. Paul’s each weekday. In mid-January, that number was about 400 riders.

“I think the ridership is higher than anticipated already because conditions on the 400 (highway) are worse than they were in the past,†Lehman said. “It’s now faster to take the train,

not to mention safer, and much, much cheaper.â€

He says this wasn’t the case when Barrie had a GO train in the early 1990s. There are also four trains out in the morning now, four back in the evening.

Personal technology also makes commuting more attractive now.

“More people are working with laptops and BlackBerrys today — which means time on the train is useful time — so taking the train means you get three hours of your working life back, or allows you to read, relax, etc.,†Lehman said. “All of this means more people are choosing transit.â€

He says a second GO station is important to help spur revitalization of the Allandale area, provide further transit service to Barrie residents, reduce greenhouse gas emissions and give people an alternative to driving on the 400.

Lehman says since the original project to return GO trains to Barrie included federal and provincial funding, he would be looking for similar cost-sharing here.

“The nice thing about this project is that the capital costs should be very, very low — just a concrete platform, a ticket machine, and a parking facility,†he said.

While Allandale Station has always been planned as a second GO site, there was no definitive timetable. But city staff and GO did include the station in the Environmental Assessment (EA) for the St. Paul’s layover yard — so it’s already approved, Lehman said.

The motion councillors will be considering Monday will ask that the Allandale Station business plan include its capital and operating costs, ridership benefits and how it would fit into development plans for the area.

A meeting with GO officials and Barrie MPP Aileen Carroll would also be arranged. Barrie MP Patrick Brown would be kept in the loop, as well.

Contact the writer at bbruton@thebarrieexaminer.com

Also the stoufville line will see a new Lincolnville station extending the line.

I have a question.

The Milton line has 6 million riders a year compared to the almost 4 million riders on the georgetown line.

However the Milton line has fewer trains, why so???

^ It is because MT has much higher ridership than BT, and GO doesn't want local transit riders to use their service.

The Milton line has 6 million riders a year compared to the almost 4 million riders on the georgetown line.

However the Milton line has fewer trains, why so???
The Milton line is run on the heavily-used CP freight line. It's very difficult and very expensive to get more train slots. If there was no freight on this line, I'd think we'd be seeing all-day service on this line by now.

The Milton line is run on the heavily-used CP freight line. It's very difficult and very expensive to get more train slots. If there was no freight on this line, I'd think we'd be seeing all-day service on this line by now.

Also, CP doesn't like to play friendly with the government. It might go back to the days when CN was a crown corporation.

That's great news that the city of Barrie is looking to add a second station already. Not really surprising though!

Looking at the system map, isn't the new Barrie Stn actually located in Painswick, ON? If so, then by all means there needs to be another station in the downtown and soon.

Looking at the system map, isn't the new Barrie Stn actually located in Painswick, ON? If so, then by all means there needs to be another station in the downtown and soon.

No, it's on the Barrie side of the border, Painswick is now part of Innisfil. But that doesn't change your argument.

Barrie has a really nice plan for a little urban development around the historic Allandale station, with an office building and a plaza. It would be the most "urban" station in the entire GO system. I'm guessing that GO will extend service as soon as Barrie moves on the station project. I posted the plan and renderings on the forum somewhere.

GO to raise fares 15 cents
Toronto Star
Feb 07, 2008 04:30 AM

GO Transit is raising its fares by about 15 cents per ride on a single adult ticket effective March 15.

If approved by the board tomorrow, the increase will be the first for GO in two years. The higher cost, equal to about 2.7 per cent per ride, will also apply to most of GO's discounted fares and passes.

So a trip from Oakville to Union Station, will go from $5.85 to $6; a 10-ride pass will rise from $53.50 to $54.75 and a monthly pass will increase from $190 to $195.

About 40 per cent of riders buy monthly passes; 40 per cent buy 10-ride tickets. The remaining 20 per cent, who buy single fares and day passes, are mostly GO bus patrons.

"Although people don't like a fare increase I think most people would understand," said GO managing director Gary McNeil.

-Tess Kalinowski

Back