News   May 02, 2024
 757     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 214     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 291     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

People like this infuriate me -- we got places to go, pops!

Metrolinx 'out in left field' after train speed doubled in Markham: resident

M_trainspeed_052018_Super_Portrait.jpg

https://www.yorkregion.com/news-sto...fter-train-speed-doubled-in-markham-resident/

^^ LOL! Excellent.

1) It's illegal to trespass on the tracks, so that picture itself should get the gentleman a fine.
2) The reasoning is hilarious... There's a bend in the track.. Someone might trip and get run over.. Well that someone shouldn't be there in the first place. People have places to go.

“If someone is on the tracks, at 80 km/h they can’t move fast enough, or if they trip, the train is not going to be able to stop,” he said.

That's why you stay the F out of the railway corridor unless you are crossing it safely when you are supposed to?

^^ LOL! Excellent.

1) It's illegal to trespass on the tracks, so that picture itself should get the gentleman a fine.
2) The reasoning is hilarious... There's a bend in the track.. Someone might trip and get run over.. Well that someone shouldn't be there in the first place. People have places to go.

Nevermind him - the photographer is probably liable too.

AoD

Last edited:
^^ LOL! Excellent.

He needs to cross his arms.

That's why you stay the F out of the railway corridor unless you are crossing it safely when you are supposed to?

Nevermind him - the photographer is probably liable too.

AoD
He's even standing below the no-trespassing you'll get a fine sign or die sign.

It's like smoking underneath the no smoking sign. :D

When I was young (10-16 years old), my friends and I used to play on the LSW tracks, somewhere right before the Mimico creek bridge. We even built a fort in the bush next to the tracks. None of us were ever hurt. I really wonder how thick you have to be to get hit by a train - they're not particularly fast and if you pay attention... Well...

**How I know it's illegal to trespass on the tracks... PoPo came at one point, my only brush with the law.. At 11 years old... They let us go. :D

When I was young (10-16 years old), my friends and I used to play on the LSW tracks, somewhere right before the Mimico creek bridge. We even built a fort in the bush next to the tracks. None of us were ever hurt. I really wonder how thick you have to be to get hit by a train - they're not particularly fast and if you pay attention... Well...

**How I know it's illegal to trespass on the tracks... PoPo came at one point, my only brush with the law.. At 11 years old... They let us go. :D

The biggest potential for trouble is probably walking along the tracks in the direction of travel blasting music. Natural selection tends to work strongly in those cases.

AoD

The biggest potential for trouble is probably walking along the tracks in the direction of travel blasting music. Natural selection tends to work strongly in those cases.

AoD
That's just stupid. Our rule of thumb (at prepubescence) was to turn around every 5 seconds if we were walking on the tracks.

Its worth saying that outside the City there are sections of track where the Bruce Trail and/or other major hiking routes not only cross the tracks, but sometimes run along side them as well for a short distance, this is known to and permitted by the railways.

In the City, there are sadly, a quite a few suicides. (on purpose)

Apart from that there do seem to be a more inordinate number of stupid people.

In most corridors there is room to walk outside of the danger zone alongside the tracks. That may be illegal and/or inadvisable, but its not typically dangerous.

That people choose to walk between the rails (or right beside them), often in a distracted state, bizarre, if one is not intending self-harm.

I would further add, that if you do think you need to take a short jaunt (as in a few hundred metres at most) right on the tracks, you might want to put your hands or ear to the rail first.

The vibration of a train, travels well down the rail, and may give some guidance on risk. That said, kindly don't anyone take that as advice to do something stupid, I don't need the credit! LOL

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-possible-to-hear-a-train-coming-by-putting-an-ear-to-the-rail-track

My house in high school backed onto the Stouffville corridor in Uxbridge on the YDHR - I would walk on the tracks home from school a lot.

Mind you that train schedule was very predictable.. Saturday mid-day in the summer, and never any other time. The tracks were (and still are) more or less abandoned. Kids would go into the rail yard and hang out on the maintenance rail cars for the service after school.

Back