News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 781     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Well they're not being used altogether, right? There are no consists consisting entirely of old cab cars. I'd think that they're being placed in the queue for coach refurbishment.
Yes, they have to spread them out, but that still creates a bunch of new consists.

They're now already using these cabs unmodified too (original thick reinforced gangway door, no bathroom). They can refurbish them as they go, but they're now already being used unrefurbished as the old cabs are already designed (right out of bat, Day 1, out of factory) to also double as temporary coaches.

The juggling is already done on a few trains -- I walked between coaches on a GO train and walked through what looked like an unmodified / not-yet-refurbhsed cab being used as a coach! The thick gangway door has a handle and swings open -- was grimy and pockmarked on the outside surface due to years of catching flying debris and bug splats (looked obviously unrefurbished) -- but you can still go between coaches. The driver cab was still there, with its entrance locked.

They can create extra consists right away with the cabs as-is, and run a queue of refurbishment (e.g. a few at a time), even to give them whatever extra stuff such as bathrooms and easier sliding doors, if those are planned.

Last edited:
Yes, they have to spread them out, but that still creates a bunch of new consists.

They're now already using these cabs unmodified too (original thick reinforced gangway door, no bathroom). They can refurbish them as they go, but they're now already being used unrefurbished as the old cabs are already designed (right out of bat, Day 1, out of factory) to also double as temporary coaches.

The juggling is already done on a few trains -- I walked between coaches on a GO train and walked through what looked like an unmodified / not-yet-refurbhsed cab being used as a coach! The thick gangway door has a handle and swings open -- was grimy and pockmarked on the outside surface due to years of catching flying debris and bug splats (looked obviously unrefurbished) -- but you can still go between coaches. The driver cab was still there, with its entrance locked.

They can create extra consists right away with the cabs as-is, and run a queue of refurbishment (e.g. a few at a time), even to give them whatever extra stuff such as bathrooms and easier sliding doors, if those are planned.
Excellent! You and DVR are right on beam. Is this going to be pretty? Hardly, the Benz is doing the heavy lifting elsewhere, these are the rusting Chevies that are perfectly fine for shuttling the shopping and going to work. Fully reliable? Not as reliable as new stock, but on a half hour interval, a failure is not going to be catastrophic like peak stock, and still a lot more reliable than the Sharyos!

What boggles me is that we've lost our sense of frugality making what we have work. The F59s were refurbished only five years ago. MD has hit the same nail on the head as I have: There's *more than enough stock* to make this work, even if it is dipping into the stock that is up for refurbishment. Cycle them in and out of the waiting queue as needed. No-one is pretending this is a fancy showcase operation, it's to *establish* the beginning of the RER, and will get replaced when the EMUs arrive...whenever that is, coz it ain't happening soon.

If John Tory wants his Smart Track stations, then they can be like Acton is: A bus shelter on a concrete platform for now. Just get the service running, build the palaces later if need be. And as soon as this is up and running, the clamour for it to be continued out through Union to the east side will start. Run out of locos? Ironically, GO is leasing three of them to another operator, and sold the rest to a leasing company. More are available if needed. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the F59s, save for emission levels, which can be addressed cheaply be retuning them for low emissions at the expense of max power (about 20% for effective results) which can easily be afforded dragging three car consists.

Is there a financial hit by running short trains with three man crews?Ask VIA, which runs many two car ones, or UPX, does ditto. The start-up costs for this are absolutely minimal. And it could start within six months or less.

Added Edit:
...They can create extra consists right away with the cabs as-is, and run a queue of refurbishment (e.g. a few at a time), even to give them whatever extra stuff such as bathrooms and easier sliding doors, if those are planned.
I think you just hit on the easiest solution for three car consist:

Old cab coaches are not only resurrected as driving coaches, but also the handicapped access coach with lower floor sliding door washroom, with an optional bike storage corral in the same area. Other two coaches can then be whatever surplus there is usable, cab cars or whatever works. It would halve the number of coaches needed to be overhauled for the consist.

Last edited:
What boggles me is that we've lost our sense of frugality making what we have work. The F59s were refurbished only five years ago. MD has hit the same nail on the head as I have: There's *more than enough stock* to make this work, even if it is dipping into the stock that is up for refurbishment. Cycle them in and out of the waiting queue as needed. No-one is pretending this is a fancy showcase operation, it's to *establish* the beginning of the RER, and will get replaced when the EMUs arrive...whenever that is, coz it ain't happening soon.

I would be happier about the coach refurbishment if they were the stock we were going to use for RER. I know EMUs are going to be better, but if we're going to refurbish more coaches than what's needed on still-diesel lines, are we really expecting to get enough of the refurbishment value back through a sale when the time comes? If we were being economically efficient, refurbishing these coaches into articulated consists to be push-pulled by electric locos would have been the way. The other risk not being managed here is the chance a different government is elected, and when Metrolinx asks for the funds to buy EMUs they get told no...

But I'm not going to defend this view to the hilt. Just a thought.

I would be happier about the coach refurbishment if they were the stock we were going to use for RER. I know EMUs are going to be better, but if we're going to refurbish more coaches than what's needed on still-diesel lines, are we really expecting to get enough of the refurbishment value back through a sale when the time comes? If we were being economically efficient, refurbishing these coaches into articulated consists to be push-pulled by electric locos would have been the way. The other risk not being managed here is the chance a different government is elected, and when Metrolinx asks for the funds to buy EMUs they get told no...

But I'm not going to defend this view to the hilt. Just a thought.

Im wondering if the "surplus"/extra bi-levels will be used for further network expansion beyond the RER core network. Maybe after RER is up and running, Metrolinx will begin expanding train service to places like Brantford, Cambridge, Peterborough, (Muskoka, Orangeville longshots?). But this is just pure speculation on my part.

ShonTron, Sep 21, 2007
Do you know if anything's happening with Georgetown (like the promised hourly Union Station buses when the trains aren't running?).

A lot of the trackwork is well underway or done (in one case) for triple-tracking up to Mount Pleasant. A lot of work to go, but that should be useful, and even more so once they figure out the Weston Sub.

Weekend service to Burlington has been such a no-brainer, and Aldershot makes it almost useful for Hamiltonians. Almost.
Opening the forum strings, one is always presented with the earliest posts, I got a glance of this and immediately thought: 'this quote has to be re-posted'...from *nine years ago!*
if we're going to refurbish more coaches than what's needed on still-diesel lines, are we really expecting to get enough of the refurbishment value back through a sale when the time comes?
Since those coachers are already up for refurbishment, how can there possibly be a loss to utilize them now? The way they're refurbished is open to discussion, as per my suggestion of combining an extant drive coach w/ disability access, as that's to move the project along as well as maximize flexibility of stock, but there's no way that even these four 'oddities' can't be used on other peripheral feeder lines later, no matter whether electric or diesel hauled.

The other risk not being managed here is the chance a different government is elected, and when Metrolinx asks for the funds to buy EMUs they get told no...
That's exactly my point made! That's a risk hedged. I estimate it will take somewhere in the region of six months to get four trainsets up and running, one being spare. And we're talking a total (until the service is extended if it proves to be a success, which it inevitably will) about 12 coaches.

This is so do-able it's obscene not to. I invite other readers to point out what could possibly complicate this, besides a "can't do" attitude. For the missing trackwork and signals, they're already on the drawing board. Track alignment into Bramalea is already planned, the second platform and structures almost finished.

This is an *absolute* vote getter for the present sad QP Libs too. For once, they can announce something that's an actual slice of the cake they've been promising for over a decade, as ShonTron's post proves. And let me repeat..."Cheap, cheap, cheap!". They already have all of the rolling stock. (tweaks besides)

There's even the possibility, CN permitting, of every other one extending up to Bramalea running through to Mt Pleasant. CN wouldn't allow that with EMU, no electric will run on CN's lines until sold to Metrolinx, and that won't happen until the Missing Link does: Translation: In the never-ending future.

In the case of limited peak hour platform access at Union, this 'PreRER' would be superseded by the longer trains. If there is space, then the peak trains can run express to Bramalea and then regular stops thereafter. The 'PreRER' can be the local service to Bramalea. Remember, being just three coaches on an even detuned F59 for reduced emissions can/will *still* accelerate faster than any other regular service on GO. This means it will not slow down express service on the same tracks.

A small point of interest, and some of the posters in this string are meticulous at figuring this out: Would there even need to be a second dedicated track into Bramalea to allow half-hourly service terminating there, or would a single from Etobicoke North be suffice if there are the two track bays functioning at Bramalea? An analog can be had by UPX running 15 min service into the single bay at Union.

Comments?

Re-reading some others' posts, missed this:
IIRC, about five 12-coach trainsets, or about a whopping ten six-coach transets -- I cannot remember exact number of old coaches now being replaced by 67 new cab cars.
Wow! There's a huge amount there to work with, even with them 'as is'. That leaves just one requirement to satisfy for complete trainsets: 4 handicap access w/ washroom sliding door lower floor cars.

Any thoughts on that? Are four 'as is' available?

Last edited:
During the mid-day, when the runs down to Union go express from Malton, the schedule shows the same time to do that segment as the stopping trains. That route, all the way from Kitchener, is heavily padded. It can be infuriating, especially for Kitchenettes (I couldn't resist) as often the train will sit for close to ten minutes at Guelph before crawling on its way to Kitchener. That's a dispatch issue more than anything I believe. The only thing worse than taking that train is taking the 33 bus!

After riding this train for that last few years, you learn a thing or two from talking to GO riders, Train drivers and CSA's. 10 minutes "sitting" seems a bit exaggerated...More like 5 minutes (if even that) and I found it is usually the latter of the 2 current trains that rarely sit longer.

In the old days (lol), the delay was indeed part dispatch issue (those trusty cellphones!) but also VIA Rail related as it needs to squeak in and be a certain distance before GO can proceed. With CTC, trains are able to travel closer so there shouldn't be long delays unless it's a signal issue.

Also, the train only slows down to a crawl between Downtown Guelph and the Hanlon before it picks up speed again. I hope people don't get the wrong impression that the entire length is slow.

After riding this train for that last few years, you learn a thing or two from talking to GO riders, Train drivers and CSA's. 10 minutes "sitting" seems a bit exaggerated...More like 5 minutes (if even that) and I found it is usually the latter of the 2 current trains that rarely sit longer.

Bored people have poor time judgement; elevators didn't get mirrors by accident.

In the old days (lol), the delay was indeed part dispatch issue (those trusty cellphones!) but also VIA Rail related as it needs to squeak in and be a certain distance before GO can proceed. With CTC, trains are able to travel closer so there shouldn't be long delays unless it's a signal issue.

Also, the train only slows down to a crawl between Downtown Guelph and the Hanlon before it picks up speed again. I hope people don't get the wrong impression that the entire length is slow.
Well I'm glad the time has been reduced, you might be right about the CTC (which ironically, VIA paid for, and now can't get the slots from CN to use what was intended) and I'm back in Guelph for four more days only a few blocks from the station. I'll check to see how much time the later train (at least until the 5th) sits. Not all were affected, but I remember getting off the train, going for a coffee at the corner, and seeing the train sit there for over five minutes some times. I wonder if the CTC now allows a tighter schedule? The express now is scheduled to do it from Kitchener in under 2 hours...just.

The Go Slow is of course, still in effect to Alma (not Hanlon, that's a bridge) and the new signals and control cabin are right in the middle of the RoW for Silver Creek Pkwy, where an underpass is planned. The left hand doesn't know what the right is doing.

What a sad "contest"

PRESTO Win What You Load Contest!

So they are giving away about ~$4,000.00 shared between 20 people over four months (generously assuming a $200 prize).
That's probably much less than the equivalent of refunds from a single 15 minute delay on any line at rush hour.

What a sad "contest"

PRESTO Win What You Load Contest!

So they are giving away about ~$4,000.00 shared between 20 people over four months (generously assuming a $200 prize).
That's probably much less than the equivalent of refunds from a single 15 minute delay on any line at rush hour.
Had to think about it for a few seconds, but that is sad. I'm no prude, but that's gambling of a sort, and really unfair if it's just based on random consumption.

Pay yours taxes, and win prizes!

At best, it's just really odd. And really tacky. By all means encourage ridership, but as you say, do it by guaranteeing results or your money back.

GO Transit service changes for the Fall of 2016

http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/updates/schedulechanges.aspx

I feel like a high school teacher.
This is an interesting reference:
Weston and Bloor customers may want to consider using UP Express, with convenient 15-minute service and the same fare as GO.
Indeed...albeit they should have included the needed reminder: (gist) "If you wish to continue on GO, use the GO Presto machines to tap on and tap off"

Last edited:
I hope people pick that up.

:) heh... minor changes again.
You got me to check that link again, and I'm going to have to go over it more later, but I missed this first glance:
ROUTE 29 (GUELPH/MISSISSAUGA):
Weekday service between Cooksville GO and Square One will be discontinued. Customers can take:

• GO Route 21 (Milton) – operates during the off-peak on weekdays and on weekends.
  • MiWay Route 19, which runs all day.
That complicates taking the Mi-Way 103 Express down to Port Credit Station and back on GO, as it doesn't loop at Square One, but does stop just outside Cooksville Station, if asked, a 29 driver will drop you at the corner to walk the few steps back to the stop.
Guess I'm forced to take the 21P now, all the way to Union, only to have to take GO back west again to Mimico.

Update: From accessing the Mi-Way website, another alternative is offered: Change from 29 at Erin Mills to Mi-Way 109, change to Mi-Way 103 at Hurontario, then change at Port Credit back onto GO.

They don't make it easy, do they? Hopefully the GO fare to Erin Mills is less than to Square One to at least partially placate the torture of poor connections now.

The 21 bus is punishment for living in Toronto.

Last edited:

Back