News   Jul 16, 2024
 177     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 316     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.1K     3 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

A train cost $600 an hour regardless of it size ...

So, if we built a giant loop track and a 200km long train (the 10,000 cars move from stop to stop but the train is just a giant circle) then the entire system would only cost $600 per hour to operate because it's a single train?

Do the math.

A train cost $600 an hour regardless of it size and can carry X riders. A train can do a round trip in x time depending which line its on and where its going.

A bus can carry 80 seated using DD buses at about $200 an hour. Its round trip could be 2-3 times longer than a train depending on the time of day it travels and where.

To find out the numbers of riders needed for each service, you need an average fare to cover the various stop to help you to arrive at an 85-100% cost recovery ratio. You divide that fare into the hourly cost to see what the numbers are needed.

In most cases, there isn't enough bus riders on various routes to justify the needs for a train in the first place.

From the few times I have travel to/from Kitchener, it is a hit and miss point to cover average cost ratio and that various from the time of day as well the day of the week.

All cost are based on a min of 4 hours of service.

That (the bold part) is what I assumed would be the result of analysis on trains at 3 a.m. in the morning....and since bus trip times are probably (at that time) pretty competitive with train trip times....it would seem silly to sap the system of resources by running trains that (by your numbers) cost 3 X as much as buses per hour to run.

Absolute chaos at Union. Train operator appears to not be aware of platform changes. Signs indicate Lakeshore West, train fills up, CSA announces train is going to Georgetown. Mass confusion for 5 minutes, then CSA confirms it will go to Georgetown. Everyone exits. Some Georgetown passengers trickle on. 5 minutes pass and an nouncement is made the train has "been changed" to Lakeshore. 515 departure and it's still sitting in Union at 535.

Last edited:
Absolute chaos at Union. Train operator appears to not be aware of platform changes. Signs indicate Lakeshore West, train fills up, CSA announces train is going to Georgetown. Mass confusion for 5 mimutrs, then CSA confirms it will go to Georgetown. Everyone exists. Some Georgetown passengers trickle on. 5minutes pass and announcement is made train has "been changed" to Lakeshore. 515 departure and it's still sitting in Union at 535.

I am on that train and it actually worked in my favour lol. Everyone got off and I ended up getting a seat. Absolute chaos.

Lakeshore West

Delayed
Lakeshore East Delayed
Kitchener Delayed
Stouffville Delayed
Richmond Hill On Time
Barrie Delayed
Milton Delayed
Last Update:
6:27:18 PM

Absolute chaos at Union. Train operator appears to not be aware of platform changes. Signs indicate Lakeshore West, train fills up, CSA announces train is going to Georgetown. Mass confusion for 5 minutes, then CSA confirms it will go to Georgetown. Everyone exits. Some Georgetown passengers trickle on. 5 minutes pass and an nouncement is made the train has "been changed" to Lakeshore. 515 departure and it's still sitting in Union at 535.

Yeah I was on the train - it was already late (who'd trust GO with 10 minutes train seperations?) and packed. Utter incompetence - and the already difficult to see platform display wasn't even updated. The emperor has no clothes.

Decided not to trust it at all and hopped over to 5/6 where I know at least I'd get LSW - and didn't even realize that their Georgetown announcement was wrong.

AoD

*warning. Inexperienced GO ride here*

Plenty of train experience in Europe. What on earth is so mind boggling about a platform change at Union Station? Are Toronto's commuters more challenged than other commuters around the globe? Isn't it a normal thing to check which platform your train is leaving from when you enter a train station?

What am I missing here?

Last edited:
Yeah I was on the train - it was already late (who'd trust GO with 10 minutes train seperations?) and packed. Utter incompetence - and the already difficult to see platform display wasn't even updated. The emperor has no clothes.

Decided not to trust it at all and hopped over to 5/6 where I know at least I'd get LSW - and didn't even realize that their Georgetown announcement was wrong.

AoD
So much for their "learning experience" last time this happened. My sympathies for those affected, and heads-up to those like myself who might choose to take a GO train (or knock-on affected bus) that time of day. I wonder how long this will take to sort out?

So much for their "learning experience" last time this happened. My sympathies for those affected, and heads-up to those like myself who might choose to take a GO train (or knock-on affected bus) that time of day. I wonder how long this will take to sort out?

I will be very, very suspicious about the 1715 LSWX - my inclination is to avoid it all together given the Barrie train at 1705 couldn't even vacate the platform in time - the LSWX train wasn't at the platform for loading at departure time - much less leaving the station itself.

As to sorting itself out - well, they couldn't even deal with consistently off nominal performance since the new schedule - and that was what, 2 months ago?

AoD

So everyone is saying that GO transit after 50 years, can't make a schedule change, sign it and get the right train to the right platform at Union Station? Something is fishy.

Back