News   Jul 16, 2024
 303     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 412     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.2K     3 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Metrolinx doesn't own that line that far west nor are bottlenecks (for the most part) between Stratford and Waterloo. Given Metrolinx's conservative growth strategy over the past several years I doubt that was even considered when serviced started to Kitchener. Same goes with the old proposal for the Baden layover facility.
Back when Kitchener service was being started, Metrolinx didn't own anything west of Silver Junction.

First time in a while that Platform 3 is being used by GO
They need to fix and unify the inconsistent labelling of Platform 3 access -- for York Concourse, the Great Hall, the Skywalk, and the Bay Teamway.

You can access Platform 3 directly from all four of them.

But currently, the labelling of Platform 3 is very inconsistent. It's a train platform used by both VIA and GO, and it's also the quick pedestrian route to the GO bus terminal. This creates huge amounts of wayfinding confusion. A good brainstorming is needed for consistent signage to indicate that it's simultaneously [Train Platform 3] and [Route to Bus Platform 41-47] -- at all 4 locations (even in the Bay Teamway; it's still quicker) -- but done in a way that doesn't confuse lost people.

• The access via York is prominently labelled with a bus logo "41-47" (treating platform as the pedestrian route to bus terminal). There is no train logo, confusing some passengers.

• The access via Bay Teamway is prominently labelled "3" (referencing the platform itself).

• The Platform 3 access in Skywalk isn't easily noticed as a platform access door -- that windowless door in the Skywalk almost looks like a secret door to the wizard in Wizard Of Oz. No screen, no train schedules, and it's not obvious displayed as the quickest route between UPX station and GO bus terminal, nor that your train is waiting at this platform.

Maybe unify all platform 3 entrance signs consistently both bus and train logos and numbers -- [TRAIN LOGO] 3 + [BUS LOGO] 41-47 .... And display "[BUS LOGO] 41-47 at end of platform -->" wayfinding signs all over Platform 3 (For on-platform signage, I think some of these signs exists, but will need to be put clearly visibly from the perspective of all entrances).

Or will this wait till being part of the "Great Union Wayfinding Reset Study" that probably needs to happen after they finish the Revitalization? To fix all the wayfinding crud/inconsistencies that has built up over time?

Long-term, they need to display electronic signage at ALL platform accesses -- like they do for Platform 25-27. So we know which trains (GO, VIA) are departing which platform.....Albiet unlike for Platform 25-27 (When no train is waiting) it will need to display modified graphics for Platform 3 -- you don't want "no entry" signage, since Platform 3 is the pedestrian route to the GO bus terminal.

Last edited:
  • The Platform 3 access in Skywalk isn't easily noticed as a platform access door -- that windowless door in the Skywalk almost looks like a secret door to the wizard in Wizard Of Oz. No screen, no train schedules, and it's not obvious displayed as the quickest route between UPX station and GO bus terminal, nor that your train is waiting at this platform.
I can't picture it, myself. Is it east or west the entrance to the York West teamway? A picture would help.

Is there any signage at all on it?

I can't picture it, myself. Is it east or west the entrance to the York West teamway? A picture would help.

Is there any signage at all on it?
It's in the metal-walled section of the south wall of the Skywalk, directly over York St. There's a decorative canopy with the GO logo over it, but the door matches the surrounding wall very closely, and is surprisingly-hard to see.

It's in the metal-walled section of the south wall of the Skywalk, directly over York St. There's a decorative canopy with the GO logo over it, but the door matches the surrounding wall very closely, and is surprisingly-hard to see.

There's also access from the York West Teamway but it is totally invisible because a wrap ad for Goodlife crosses the whole wall and doors. It's difficult to even notice there is a door there unless you squint and see the tiny "3" hidden among the ads on top of the door frame.

Is GO/Metrolinx looking at using the Canpa sub for future detours? I found the following on the tendering website MERX:

Metrolinx is accepting bids (“Requests”) for the design, construction supervision and contract administration to upgrade the existing Railway Infrastructure at the Canpa Control Location on the Oakville Subdivision, in order to accommodate future routing and speed requirements for the Lakeshore West Service, and detour routes via the GO Owned Canpa Spur, as more particularly described in this Tender Document as required by Metrolinx, which Services relates to the CANPA Switch Plant Renewal and Upgrade., which Services relates to CANPA Plant Renewal.

https://www.merx.com/English/SUPPLI...ORT=0&IS_SME=N&hcode=xTjmUCw6mWHwuozfH1Mqyw==

Is GO/Metrolinx looking at using the Canpa sub for future detours? I found the following on the tendering website MERX:

Metrolinx is accepting bids (“Requests”) for the design, construction supervision and contract administration to upgrade the existing Railway Infrastructure at the Canpa Control Location on the Oakville Subdivision, in order to accommodate future routing and speed requirements for the Lakeshore West Service, and detour routes via the GO Owned Canpa Spur, as more particularly described in this Tender Document as required by Metrolinx, which Services relates to the CANPA Switch Plant Renewal and Upgrade., which Services relates to CANPA Plant Renewal.

https://www.merx.com/English/SUPPLIER_Menu.asp?WCE=Show&TAB=3&PORTAL=MERX&State=7&id=PR377996&src=osr&FED_ONLY=0&ACTION=&rowcount=&lastpage=&MoreResults=&PUBSORT=2&CLOSESORT=0&IS_SME=N&hcode=xTjmUCw6mWHwuozfH1Mqyw==

I doubt that would be able to be used for disruptions of regular service, but in the mid-term future electrification work will probably benefit from total weekend shutdowns through Willowbrook with service rerouted this way.

https://www.merx.com/English/SUPPLIER_Menu.asp?WCE=Show&TAB=3&PORTAL=MERX&State=7&id=PR377996&src=osr&FED_ONLY=0&ACTION=&rowcount=&lastpage=&MoreResults=&PUBSORT=2&CLOSESORT=0&IS_SME=N&hcode=xTjmUCw6mWHwuozfH1Mqyw==

On page 233 is a diagram of the existing connection with LSW (warning...large file)
http://www.gotransit.com/electrification/en/docs/Conceptual Design/CDR_Part2_LakeshoreWest.pdf

with eventual 24/7 service on LSW it does make sense to allow for this routing off-peak so workers can close off the entire track structure for a weekend (or if power lines are down for some reason).

Does anyone have access to the detailed specs? Would be great for detours on the Milton line as well....but Willowbrook may be too close to Canpa to allow for any mainline connection so it may not happen

I wouldn't be surprised. There are a few structure replacements coming up between Mimico and Exhibition that may require some time to complete: Dufferin, Dunn and Dowling.

I wouldn't be surprised. There are a few structure replacements coming up between Mimico and Exhibition that may require some time to complete: Dufferin, Dunn and Dowling.

I have noticed in the past year when they reduce service to hourly for construction simultaneous to major events downtown, or at the Ex (TFC/Blue Jays/Rock/Raptors/Leafs/Marlies/CNE/Concerts,) there are some trips with almost rush-hour like crush loads. That is with 10 car trains, not 12 like during the week, so there is a bit of slack on Lakeshore West at "weekend-peak," but not much.

I have noticed in the past year when they reduce service to hourly for construction simultaneous to major events downtown, or at the Ex (TFC/Blue Jays/Leafs/Marlies/CNE,) there are some trips with almost rush-hour crush loads. That is with 10 car trains, not 12 like during the week, so there is a bit of slack on Lakeshore West at "weekend-peak," but not much.

Here is a question: Could half-hour service be maintained if trains were diverted over the Canpa sub? Would CP allow this on the Milton Sub just for the odd weekend if construction was occurring?

Back