News   Jul 18, 2024
 216     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 376     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 772     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

And I'm going to have to agree with Louroz here - on his point, but not necessarily his words. Unlocking land value at GO stations has been an underlying theme at the agency for some time, especially at Oakville station. It's unfortunate that this part of the message was lost in the announcement.

I guess those of us that don't use the Oakville station have not seen as much unlocking then? There certainly wasn't anything in that announcement yesterday about unlocking land value!

One of the stations mentioned in the announcement, Bramalea, actually has a parking arrangement which would lead you to think that they are actually trying to minimize land value.

They have a south parking lot in a recognized industrial zone (that may just e leased, I dunno) but probably the most valuable piece of land near the station is the north-east corner of the north parking lot (to be a bit clearer) the south-west corner of the intersection of Bramalea Road and Steeles Avenue.....this would be a good retail spot (probably without much re-zoning) and, with a bit of re-zoning, would be a great spot for a mid-hi rise apartment building (like the one Medallion built just north on Bramalea road from there)....how is GO "unlocking" that land value....they use that area to park buses all day and night!

So when those of us who don't hang out in Oakville read an announcement of $175 million to build new parking, with no mention of freeing up land and we see that in the context that we have seen little/no effort elsewhere for GO to "unlock land value".....well, then we don't like be chided or mocked on the subject.....I think that is what the other poster was saying when he said "Woah attitude!"

GO is building a new permanent garage on Van Kirk - near the new BT Sandalwood garage. At that point, the garage they have at Bramalea there will be demolished and cleared for even more parking.

This City Council presentation might be worth looking at. http://brampton.ca/council_highlights/20090128/GO-Transit.pdf

I agree that garages could be used to better use GO land, but Future Mayor was out of line with the way he said this, especially when only a very few people realize GO's long term plans (which aren't announced) and this particuar announcement was clearly about adding parking, not the long-term followup/second phase. How did you expect people to react?

Last edited:
GO is building a new permanent garage on Van Kirk - near the new BT Sandalwood garage. At that point, the garage they have at Bramalea there will be demolished and cleared for even more parking.

This City Council presentation might be worth looking at. http://brampton.ca/council_highlights/20090128/GO-Transit.pdf

I agree that garages could be used to better use GO land, but Future Mayor was competely out of line with the way he said this, especially when only a very few people realize GO's long term plans (which aren't announced) and this particuar announcement was clearly about adding parking, not the long-term followup/second phase. How did you expect people to react?

Thanks.....link wouldn't open but I presume it just gives details on what you say (ie. moving those buses to a better place and freeing up parking)....do you know if the new parking announced yesterday is just a re-announcing of what is in this document (that looks a few weeks old) or is "bus corner" getting freed up and new parking per the announcement yesterday?

I'll still take more frequent train service over a new parking structure.

And doady, I did read your post several times and I still can't figure out how the 38 is slowed down by Erindale GO. It makes zero sense. I've taken the 38 to Erindale and beyond many, many times. The only thing I've found to slow down the 38 is weather, and that applies to any bus route.

I agree that garages could be used to better use GO land, but Future Mayor was out of line with the way he said this, especially when only a very few people realize GO's long term plans (which aren't announced) and this particuar announcement was clearly about adding parking, not the long-term followup/second phase. How did you expect people to react?

There is no question that a better job could have been done at tying the near-term and long term messages together. That gets a wag of the finger. There's no question that flipping out isn't a good way to get the message across. That gets a wag of the finger.

But there is method to the madness...

And there's no question that the madness is extreme at times. But then again, the feds are involved. Are you really surprised they skipped over the long-term plans for short-term sound-bites?;)

And there's no question that the madness is extreme at times. But then again, the feds are involved. Are you really surprised they skipped over the long-term plans for short-term sound-bites?;)
I have no doubt whatsoever that they were looking for something concrete to announce, and the fact that it is an announcement that appeals to general construction trades doesn't hurt.

Of course, from what I've seen, these are all a couple of years out, meaning that little of the parking structure monies can truly be counted as stimulus.

I'll still take more frequent train service over a new parking structure.

And doady, I did read your post several times and I still can't figure out how the 38 is slowed down by Erindale GO.

Congestion, geez. The whole point of the post is congestion. Not sure how it could have been more clear.

Interestingly, there is now a small piece of evidence that this is more than just a parking expansion. The story in the Ajax News-Advertiser includes the following:

The parking garages will mean a smaller footprint for the transit provider. "While parking is necessary for GO, we're also looking at better land uses which is why we're looking to build upwards and not across", [GO Spokesperson Vanessa Thomas] said.
Note that the online version of the story is missing this text.

I recognize this is a small quote in a published story as opposed to an official news release from GO, but hopefully there is some meat behind this comment.

Interestingly, there is now a small piece of evidence that this is more than just a parking expansion. The story in the Ajax News-Advertiser includes the following:

Note that the online version of the story is missing this text.

I recognize this is a small quote in a published story as opposed to an official news release from GO, but hopefully there is some meat behind this comment.

It's quite possible. Spending 175 million on 6800 spots works out to over 25 000 a vehicle which is well above what decked structure normally cost per spot (usually around 15 000). There could be some consolidation of parking spaces going on where the new parking structures have as many spots as the old lots plus more.

It's quite possible. Spending 175 million on 6800 spots works out to over 25 000 a vehicle which is well above what decked structure normally cost per spot (usually around 15 000). There could be some consolidation of parking spaces going on where the new parking structures have as many spots as the old lots plus more.
Of course, it may just mean that the stations will have a smaller footprint than if GO had done a parking expansion by expanding the existing lots without a structure.

Of course, it may just mean that the stations will have a smaller footprint than if GO had done a parking expansion by expanding the existing lots without a structure.

I sincerely hope not.....cause that would be a serious overpayment. I need to buy stock in this contractor!

Think long term

Woah attitude!
Shooting off mouths? Since when is voicing your opinion shooting one's mouth off? Very negative stance you have on this. I hope you never become mayor of my city if this is how you react to people voicing how they feel about their tax dollars being spent.
Unfortunately I didn't see anything about the parking structures being a replacement, but an addition to the existing parking.

As for the parking... I can only speak for the station I use, which is Cooksville.
Right now the parking lot is massive. If they are going to build a parking structure which will house 1000 spots, I would like to see the station itself moved closer to Hurontario. Then the station build behind it.

Try parking your car at the station, and then getting off of one of the rush hour evening trains. Then try getting out of the station in your car to go northbound on Hurontario. You will see the lineup of cars goes from Hurontario all the way west back to the entrance/exit of the station.
And don't even think of driving to the Liquor store or Beer store and Hasty Market while this is going on. You will be waiting about 10 minutes to get out of that parking lot to get to Hurontario.

Since when is voicing your opinion considered negative.

I hope to never have your vote as you clearly can not see the bigger picture.

This announcement was only greeted by heavily negative responses on this thread until I came along to outline the positive benefits it will provide in the LONG TERM.

If you are really so passionate about voicing your opinion on the future of sustainable transportation and planning in the GTA, I would challenge you to attend public meetings, read and respond to reports and to lobby and support politicans.

I'm a taxpayer too and I actively participate in the civic engagement process that determines such proposals and future plans. A vast majority of people who choose to drive their cars to the GO Train Station strongly believe and support this as an excellent and strategic investment of public dollars. At the moment you and host of others on this fourm can't see beyond just a new parking structure which is extremely sad, yet thankfully GO Transit, government and like minded citizens can envision and plan for the future.

I live right next to Cooksville GO station almost my entire life and use it almost every single day. I'm well aware of the issues and have been involved in the public process to plan for its future. It will most certainly be developed into a major new urban transportation hub with Express Rail, Hurontario LRT and bus connections. This parking garage is the first step towards that planned future.

This is the key.....if they were planning (as they say) to create 6,800 new spots at these twelve stations and unlock land value/use at these stations.....this would cost a lot more than the $175 million shown....these are new spots plain and simple and people are reacting to that.

Also, it is a bit much to slag people off over what you perceive to be a wrong notion (which I don't think is wrong) and then, to prove your point, use a station (Brampton) as an example which is not even listed as part of the parking improvements! None of this $175 million is being used to create new spots at Brampton or to build some garage/hotel/convention centre.

My request of our future mayor?.....heed your own words.....

Of course its going to cost more than $175 million to transform those lands, that just seems pretty obvious to just about everyone.

Clearly I could see people were reacting to the creation of what they believe are just new parking spots in the 905. My objective was to help them to look LONG TERM and realize the cost saving and potential of this initial investment on the future of those lands.

Finally, I'm not sure what your ranting on about my example with Brampton, it seem rather pointless to me to argue on about it.

My request to you and others, think LONG TERM.

Louroz

Finally, I'm not sure what your ranting on about my example with Brampton, it seem rather pointless to me to argue on about it.

My request to you and others, think LONG TERM.

Louroz

Call it a rant if it suits your purpose.....someone voiced displeasure over this announcement....you mocked/made fun of them because they could not see in this announcement the LONG TERM that you could and, to give an example of your foresight, you use the example of a station that was not even part of the announcement that was the subject of the discussion.

If you can't see that, I guess we will just agree to see the world differently and move on.

Back