News   Jul 18, 2024
 145     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 308     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 738     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

If you look at this video, it will show what the corridor looks like to do a grade separation at the junction.

You need to be 30' above Plains Rd as well York Blvd. You are 25'+ below them now. That a rise of 55'+ starting at Lemonville Rd.

The grade will be in the Royal Botanical Garden area.

It is possible that the bridge at Beth Jacob will have to be relocated or close 100% leaving no access to the Cemetery as well the garden.

You will have about 1.29 miles to get the rise of 55' starting at Lemonville Rd.

The other option is to drop the track under the existing tracks and that will have to start at Hidden Valley. This will have a real impact on the Garden at Plains Rd.

You will start to get near the water line level west of Plains line, but still in embankment area. A retaining wall will have to be built to support the existing 3 tracks in this area and surprised it wasn't done back in 2007 when they were adding the 3rd track. You will be at water line when you hit the channel and big $$ here to waterproof it

It will mean closing the valley Inn Rd as it will be at the same level as the new GO track. http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=43.28862,-79.891246&z=16&t=h&hl=en If you Google earth map, you can get a real close eye view.

My video will give you ground level view for part of the trip as the conductor keep getting in the way. It was no smooth ride either.

Going down has it's cost as a new plains Rd bridge will have to be built to get the track under it as there is no extra room for this new track. The Google Earth map only shows 2 tracks, not the 3 tracks that are there now.

If you go raise separation, no simple task to get it back down since you are on a S curb area as well you have an embankment to deal with. Can see why there $75m allow for this separation.

Valley Inn Road is set to close to cars this year, Hamilton council approved it last year. The City will build a new pedestrian bridge to replace the Valley Inn Road Bridge.

Drum!

Drum! You Rock!

Great Video.

I've never taken that trip by rail.

Gave me a whole new appreciation of the route that Google just doesn't offer!

(I've been as far Oakville by GO in the west, and Montreal by VIA in the East)

Your description of the grade separation sounds incredibly challenging.

Though, if the current GO trip is near as slow as the one you were on; it may be necessary anyway.

Anyone know how realistic connecting the CP and CN lines through Hamilton is?

IT really makes no sense to me to offer service to Niagara that skips downtown Hamilton.

I see Erindale is one of the stations on the list for a $30 million parking structure. I'm not sure if this is necessary. But I'd rather take that $30 million and get all-day trains to Erindale. Or at least, more than the 6 trains we get currently between 6:45 and 8:20.

Transit should reduce congestion and get people out their cars. GO does the opposite: reinforce people's car dependency and discourage them from using alternative methods of travel. Erindale is a good example. Despite being oen of the most pedestrian friendly stations, it causes a lot of congestion, slowing down the 38 Creditview bus, reducing its frequency, and therefore inconviencing transit riders. And now they planning to make it even worse by adding even more parking. Good job, GO.

Transit should reduce congestion and get people out their cars. GO does the opposite: reinforce people's car dependency and discourage them from using alternative methods of travel. Erindale is a good example. Despite being oen of the most pedestrian friendly stations, it causes a lot of congestion, slowing down the 38 Creditview bus, reducing its frequency, and therefore inconviencing transit riders. And now they planning to make it even worse by adding even more parking. Good job, GO.

Exactly how does Erindale "slow down" the 38 exactly? The 38 doesn't even go into Erindale!

Investment in the Future - Unlocking Land Potential

Can we all smarten up by a whole lot please?!

Let's think about this logically for a moment: structured parking garages take up less space and can accommodate more cars which are taken off our highway system. GREAT!

Now I can also confirm that GO will most certainly begin to start charging for parking in these garages once built, as they will offer a safer, guaranteed and weather protected environment for commuters to park their cars. EVEN BETTER! I can already imagine the massive annual cost savings for snow removal of surface parking lots alone.

Which leads me to brightest idea GO Transit is now embarking on: unlocking the land value surrounding its stations. With the surface parking lots replaced, we are left with this unlimited potential to develop mixed-used, high density, transit oriented developments within spitting distance of each station.

Erindale and especially Cooksville GO Stations are strategic investments in the future as they form the western and southern gateways into Mississauga City Centre. Plans are already in development to build vibrant new neighbourhoods on those lots that will strengthen and transform the urban growth zone. Other good examples are Oakville GO Station with the plan for a new midtown core, and Brampton GO Station where a new parking garage will be built in conjunction with a proposed new hotel and conference centre.

I want you all to seriously THINK twice and think LONG TERM before you go off shooting your mouths on a worthy construction program that not only creates jobs, but is building towards a more sustainable future for the entire GTA.

Louroz

Last edited:

Let's think about this logically for a moment: structured parking garages take up less space and can accommodate more cars which are taken off our highway system. GREAT!

Now I can also confirm that GO will most certainly begin to start charging for parking in these garages once built, as they will offer a safer, guaranteed and weather protected environment for commuters to park their cars. EVEN BETTER! I can already imagine the massive annual cost savings for snow removal of surface parking lots alone.

Which leads me to brightest idea GO Transit is now embarking on: unlocking the land value surrounding its stations. With the surface parking lots replaced, we are left with this unlimited potential to develop mixed-used, high density, transit oriented developments within spitting distance of each station.

Erindale and especially Cooksville GO Stations are strategic investments in the future as they form the western and southern gateways into Mississauga City Centre. Plans are already in development to build vibrant new neighbourhoods on those lots that will strengthen and transform the urban growth zone. Other good examples are Oakville GO Station with the plan for a new midtown core, and Brampton GO Station where a new parking garage will be built in conjunction with a proposed new hotel and conference centre.

I want you all to seriously THINK twice and think LONG TERM before you go off shooting your mouths on a worthy construction program that not only creates jobs, but is building towards a more sustainable future for the entire GTA.

Louroz

Woah attitude!
Shooting off mouths? Since when is voicing your opinion shooting one's mouth off? Very negative stance you have on this. I hope you never become mayor of my city if this is how you react to people voicing how they feel about their tax dollars being spent.
Unfortunately I didn't see anything about the parking structures being a replacement, but an addition to the existing parking.

As for the parking... I can only speak for the station I use, which is Cooksville.
Right now the parking lot is massive. If they are going to build a parking structure which will house 1000 spots, I would like to see the station itself moved closer to Hurontario. Then the station build behind it.

Try parking your car at the station, and then getting off of one of the rush hour evening trains. Then try getting out of the station in your car to go northbound on Hurontario. You will see the lineup of cars goes from Hurontario all the way west back to the entrance/exit of the station.
And don't even think of driving to the Liquor store or Beer store and Hasty Market while this is going on. You will be waiting about 10 minutes to get out of that parking lot to get to Hurontario.

"About $75 million will go toward upgrades at a rail junction in Hamilton that will improve GO train service into the city. The project will mean that GO trains heading into Hamilton will no longer need to wait for freight trains to pass, said GO spokesperson Vanessa Thomas.

The province will undertake an environmental assessment to find the best location for the improvement, Thomas said, which will take up to 10 months. But the assessment isn't slated to begin immediately and there is no completion date or timeline set for the project."

http://www.thespec.com/News/CanadaWorld/article/515464

Woah attitude!
Shooting off mouths? Since when is voicing your opinion shooting one's mouth off? Very negative stance you have on this. I hope you never become mayor of my city if this is how you react to people voicing how they feel about their tax dollars being spent.
Unfortunately I didn't see anything about the parking structures being a replacement, but an addition to the existing parking.

This is the key.....if they were planning (as they say) to create 6,800 new spots at these twelve stations and unlock land value/use at these stations.....this would cost a lot more than the $175 million shown....these are new spots plain and simple and people are reacting to that.

Also, it is a bit much to slag people off over what you perceive to be a wrong notion (which I don't think is wrong) and then, to prove your point, use a station (Brampton) as an example which is not even listed as part of the parking improvements! None of this $175 million is being used to create new spots at Brampton or to build some garage/hotel/convention centre.

My request of our future mayor?.....heed your own words.....

futuremayor said:

Let's think about this logically for a moment

I cannot believe that there are people who still insist on driving (by themselves no less) to downtown Toronto and pay for the parking, waste gasoline, pay for the wear and tear on their automobile, and hope they don't get into an accident. Hopefully, with the new parking structures and improvements to GO itself, people will leave their cars behind.
Of course, it would be even better if the local transit in the 905 were improved as well, so that they wouldn't even need a car to get to the GO station. But that can only change if development turns away from the automobile oriented development to transit oriented development.

I cannot believe that there are people who still insist on driving (by themselves no less) to downtown Toronto and pay for the parking, waste gasoline, pay for the wear and tear on their automobile, and hope they don't get into an accident. Hopefully, with the new parking structures and improvements to GO itself, people will leave their cars behind.
Of course, it would be even better if the local transit in the 905 were improved as well, so that they wouldn't even need a car to get to the GO station. But that can only change if development turns away from the automobile oriented development to transit oriented development.

100% Agree. The 905 transit agencies need to run more buses into neighbourhoods to give people the ability to step out their door and get a deeply discounted ride to the GO station. If they are unwilling to do it then GO should do it. Transit NIMBYs, especially in Caledon, seem to love GO. If the TTC has a "welfare bum" image in affluent communities, then why not exploit GO's positive image?

And I'm going to have to agree with Louroz here - on his point, but not necessarily his words. Unlocking land value at GO stations has been an underlying theme at the agency for some time, especially at Oakville station. It's unfortunate that this part of the message was lost in the announcement.

Back