News   Jul 15, 2024
 682     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 860     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 622     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Not to mention that the stations on the Lakeshore line had to be staffed anyways, so you're not incurring any additional costs there. But I digress...

Although the wording in the report is ambiguous, the 30% increase only represents off-peak service on the Lakeshore Lines. Which is still quite substantial considering the service change only happened 2 months ago, and it is generally regarded that service changes/improvements can take as long as three years to fully affect ridership.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I think the point is that we (the casual observer) will never be able to judge the success of this (or any service) as long as the press releases and available information we receive is so ambiguous.

When the 30 minute service was announced we were given two "facts"....one was that the average off peak train carried 350 people and the other was that this increase in service was estimated to cost $7 million annually.

So we are left wondering...is a 30% increase in usage with a 100% increase in service after this short time "acceptable"? Is it in line with their expectations? What level of usage was the $7 million based on? Was it based on maintaining an average train usage of 350 per train or is it assuming a drop in the average or does it require the additional service to attract enough riders to actually increase the average number of riders per train? We just don't know.

Not long after the introduction of the 30 minute service was it not announced at a Metrolinx board meeting that any future expansion to all day service levels like Lakeshore on other lines would only happen if demand/usage warranted....so the answers to these questions are important...what is the demand/usage level that is required to warrant expansion...isn't that answered, to some extent, by what is deemed acceptable on the Lakeshore?

In the past month, I'd seen a couple of double-decker (DD) GO buses on Simcoe St in Oshawa. Last Saturday, I rode from Durham College to Richmond Hill Centre on a DD, the 11:22 westbound departure for Route 52 from Oshawa to York U. It was one of the newer DDs with the smooth-looking curved front. This was the first time I'd ridden in a GO DD; I'd taken a Megabus DD coming back from Montréal this past summer. The ride up top was a little bouncier than I was used to, especially in the rough construction area near Highway 7 and Highway 12. But it was more comfortable than the Megabus DD; the seats were more padded. And the view was fantastic. I sat in the front row, staring out through that great window.

dd_go_bus.jpg

Attachments

• dd_go_bus.jpg
    dd_go_bus.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 535
Last edited:
I really want them to start operating on route 71 haha. They are needed, it is not uncommon to see the buses with the entire middle aisle filled with standing riders. My only worry is if they fit under the bridges on the DVP, as I have never seen one at the downtown bus terminal.

I really want them to start operating on route 71 haha. They are needed, it is not uncommon to see the buses with the entire middle aisle filled with standing riders. My only worry is if they fit under the bridges on the DVP, as I have never seen one at the downtown bus terminal.

I can't exactly see the need for running double deckers on route 71. If the buses are overcrowded run them more frequently. Route 21 especially to Square One is much busier.

I'm not too worried, 71 is scheduled to be replaced with all day train service so it is fine. I just want to operate on it so I can ride them..

I think the point is that we (the casual observer) will never be able to judge the success of this (or any service) as long as the press releases and available information we receive is so ambiguous.

One could argue that with the complete lack of actual numbers that either GO or Metrolinx put out for almost anything makes it almost impossible to judge the success or failure of any of its routes, save for anecdotal "there seem to be more people on this bus/train".

When the 30 minute service was announced we were given two "facts"....one was that the average off peak train carried 350 people and the other was that this increase in service was estimated to cost $7 million annually.

So we are left wondering...is a 30% increase in usage with a 100% increase in service after this short time "acceptable"? Is it in line with their expectations? What level of usage was the $7 million based on? Was it based on maintaining an average train usage of 350 per train or is it assuming a drop in the average or does it require the additional service to attract enough riders to actually increase the average number of riders per train? We just don't know.

My understanding is that the people at GO are very happy with the ridership gains that they have seen, but as to whether it has met their expectations, I can't tell you. I have never heard from anyone what the ridership projections of the improved service may be.

Not long after the introduction of the 30 minute service was it not announced at a Metrolinx board meeting that any future expansion to all day service levels like Lakeshore on other lines would only happen if demand/usage warranted....so the answers to these questions are important...what is the demand/usage level that is required to warrant expansion...isn't that answered, to some extent, by what is deemed acceptable on the Lakeshore?

Keep in mind that, once again, this improvement was made as a political decision. There is no evidence that I have ever seen that shows that the increase was "warranted" in any way at GO.

That said, you can actually extrapolate that kind of info yourself to a degree. GO has been adding trains to the rush hour "shoulder" periods for many years to replace heavily loaded buses (where they are capable of doing so, of course).

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I've seen Megabus DDs at the downtown bus terminal. I suspect they have to picky about exactly how they approach it.

probably a DVP specific problem, the DVP runs under several arch bridges and bridges that were constructed before the highway, while the Gardiner not only has fewer overpasses they all seem to be "up to code" and fairly new.

I thought the issue was the Yonge Street underpass under the rail tracks? I don't think that's tall enough for DD, whereas maybe the Mega Bus goes down to Spadina or somewhere else.

With the Barrie Line undergoing double-tracking, it looks like it could beat the Kitchener line to being the second line with all-day service. But in the meantime, we could actually introduce a few additional round trips using the existing infrastructure to capture some demand outside of the peak period.

I came up with this schedule, which shows how we could add three new round trips to the existing peak-direction peak-period trips within the constraints of the current track layout (single track line with a passing siding north of Maple):

25zl.png

While 3 additional round trips doesn't seem like much, I think they would actually go a long way toward making people consider GO transit as an option for general travel, not just commuting. Barrie and Toronto are 100 kilometres apart so there is likely a fair bit of inter-city travel demand, which is not restricted to peak periods. 8 daily trips per direction would already make the Toronto-Barrie corridor one of the highest traffic intercity rail corridors in the country. Even if we account for 5 of the trips being around the same time, it is still effectively 4 or 5 trips per day, which is fairly typical for inter-city train service in the Quebec City - Windsor corridor.

The midday trips skip stops which I wouldn't expect to have demand for off-peak travel. These are mainly isolated park-and-ride stations, which would already be full by that point anyway. This makes faster off-peak service which would be a competitive inter-city option.

Downtown commuters would also benefit from the new services. The midday trips would allow greater flexibility in hours, and would likely be particularly popular on Fridays when some people work half days. The new evening northbound trip could serve downtown workers who choose to stay downtown later, perhaps going out for supper.

Technical details about the schedule:

I made it using the travel times from the existing schedule, and assuming 2.5 minutes saved per stop skipped by express trains. This value is based on other GO express train schedules.

Maple delay accounts for the fact that trains using the siding are delayed by a few minutes according to the Barrie Line summer weekend schedule. Maple Gap is the time between when a northbound train leaves the (single-track) station and a southbound train arrives.

Padding refers to the time between when a train arrives at a terminus and a different train departs. I included it so that the arriving train will not delay the departing train if it is a bit late.

For the most part, the off-peak trips consist of a single train running back and forth down the line. The exception is trip F2, which pulls over into the Maple siding to let trip B2 past. The schedule does use 6 trainsets instead of 5, but trainset B is unoccupied between 7:40AM and 8:00PM, during which time it could run on other lines.

Last edited:
I can see a couple of reverse runs and a few off-peak runs added on the Barrie line but I would think that GO will stay away from any significant schedule on the route until the Davenport Diamond Grade Separation Project is restarted and funded.

Question: Could half hour service work?
Half hourly service would need a new siding in Aurora. You might be able to do hourly service from Union to Barrie South after Georgetown South is finished, provided the sidings at Bradford and York U still exist and the GTS track layout allows a meet between King and Lansdowne. Even then, Bradford could only be served every two hours unless it got a pedestrian tunnel.

Back