News   Jul 15, 2024
 684     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 863     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 623     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

So glad to hear it's going back to the drawing boards! This new livery was awful.
Are we sure that they are?

Personally, I prefer the new shade of dark green compared to the old one. Seems much richer in colour. I'm not sold on the lime ... but I'm not opposed either.

I quite like the new livery. I just think it looks bad when the locomotive has the new livery and all the cars still have the old.

I'm amazed that the Government of Ontario logo was removed from the new locomotive livery. When does a government not like to put its name on public goodies? Heck the provincial government puts in signs on TDSB buildings bragging about replacing windows and how they are "investing in the future." Like not allowing our kids to die of hypothermia? Wow, thanks government!

All GO and VIA train will be using the Newmarket/Barrie Line this weekend with longer travel time.

I was curious about this since VIA 84, 85 (Toronto-Kitchener-London) and GO 818 (Barrie Line SB) seemed to be scheduled to be on the (single) track at the same time. I went down to the Finch Hydro Corridor crossing today and was surprised to see that the GO Train actually went through ahead of schedule. I didn't think they were allowed to do that, but there were a fair number of people on the train, so maybe I misread the schedule, or there was a lot of advance notice.

I think the GO Train left York U at around 10:40, well ahead of its scheduled departure time of 10:54. The southbound VIA went through at 10:50 and the northbound one was at 11:40.

Video (Cross-posted with Bicycle Paths thread):
[video=youtube;q_VMgd9vIls]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_VMgd9vIls&feature=c4-overview&list=UUwAo-N1m-eTiiBzFXk8ornw[/video]

I was curious about this since VIA 84, 85 (Toronto-Kitchener-London) and GO 818 (Barrie Line SB) seemed to be scheduled to be on the (single) track at the same time. I went down to the Finch Hydro Corridor crossing today and was surprised to see that the GO Train actually went through ahead of schedule. I didn't think they were allowed to do that, but there were a fair number of people on the train, so maybe I misread the schedule, or there was a lot of advance notice.

I think the GO Train left York U at around 10:40, well ahead of its scheduled departure time of 10:54. The southbound VIA went through at 10:50 and the northbound one was at 11:40.

Video (Cross-posted with Bicycle Paths thread):

From what I was told, no GO trains were stopping on route in Toronto for this line. I have not looked at any schedules since my info was from the site project manager. Schedules were padded encase of delays along the route.

There are no sidings between the 2 junction point to have trains running in opposite direction on a single track line.

You will see the same thing on Sept 28-29 without GO trains when the next bridge (deck span) get move that weekend for the Old West Rd Crossing at this time.

Last edited:
Guess where the Major Mackenzie & 48 Land Owners Group want Metrolinx to build a new mobility hub?

I'm a little confused by this presentation as I thought the actual plan was still to have all-day, two-way service up to Mount Joy, even if the double-tracking is only to Unionville. The LRT proposals are interesting, but I'm sure if you polled anyone in Markham and Stouffville, they would tell you that GO service is 1000% more important than local service to Scarborough (heck -- express service that doesn't stop in Scarborough is what people really want!).

http://www2.markham.ca/markham/ccbs...Expansion Class Environmental Assessment.pdf

it is, but the study only extended to Unionville, which is what I think you confused. edit: nevermind

Last edited:
Seen no emails for the reasons, but the old hourly trains were running 5-10 late on the Lakeshore today well the new 30 minutes ones were on time. These were all westbound trains.

Even though my bus was late getting to PC today, still caught the Burlington train as it was late.

When we got to Burlington, the eastbound was still there with F59's and was late, yet the board show it on time.

Even when I went home hours later, trains were still the same for being late.

New signs up showing riders where things are, but riders still ask where the buses are. Daaaaaa!!!!

I saw some new signs for train crews at Burlington and thought it had to do with the duel F59's stopping position, but its the only station I saw these signs. Blue sign with a MR on it by 10 spot with another before 11 and it has a slash through the M. They are on all 3 tracks platforms. Maybe our GO friend tell us more about these signs.
9683359188_a96f003e42_b.jpg

9683362380_4d268a9521_b.jpg

I saw some new signs for train crews at Burlington and thought it had to do with the duel F59's stopping position, but its the only station I saw these signs. Blue sign with a MR on it by 10 spot with another before 11 and it has a slash through the M. They are on all 3 tracks platforms. Maybe our GO friend tell us more about these signs.
9683359188_a96f003e42_b.jpg

But of course :)

Those are the new spotting markers/system. Currently they are testing it at Burlington and Whitby, in both directions. If you go to the east end of the platform you'll see the same two signs on that side. Instead of aiming for a single point (the "10" or "12" marker for the cab and the black or white "L" for the locomotive) they are now experimenting with a spotting "zone". The MR stands for "Mini Ramp". As long as we stop in between the two signs we are properly spotted for the mini ramp. Stopping short of the 1st sign means we're short and will have to pull up. Stopping pasted the MR with the line across it means you've overshot the mini ramp. The problem with the single sign markers (the "10" "12" and "L") is that there is no consistency between stations. At some stops you could stop a 5 feet short of the marker and you would be spotted, at others stopping 5 feet away for the marker and you would be short of the ramp. Also this way there's no more guess work as to when your on or off the ramp, which we obviously can't see otherwise since its hundreds of feet away.

There are no spotting markers for the old F59 on the west end. We just guess/estimate when we're about 60ft(length of the old engines) past the 10 marker.

But of course :)

Those are the new spotting markers/system. Currently they are testing it at Burlington and Whitby, in both directions. If you go to the east end of the platform you'll see the same two signs on that side. Instead of aiming for a single point (the "10" or "12" marker for the cab and the black or white "L" for the locomotive) they are now experimenting with a spotting "zone". The MR stands for "Mini Ramp". As long as we stop in between the two signs we are properly spotted for the mini ramp. Stopping short of the 1st sign means we're short and will have to pull up. Stopping pasted the MR with the line across it means you've overshot the mini ramp. The problem with the single sign markers (the "10" "12" and "L") is that there is no consistency between stations. At some stops you could stop a 5 feet short of the marker and you would be spotted, at others stopping 5 feet away for the marker and you would be short of the ramp. Also this way there's no more guess work as to when your on or off the ramp, which we obviously can't see otherwise since its hundreds of feet away.

There are no spotting markers for the old F59 on the west end. We just guess/estimate when we're about 60ft(length of the old engines) past the 10 marker.

Thanks.

I saw them at both ends of all the platforms and was sure it was something being tested, but what and assume for the F59. It was clear to me what the slash meant.

I assume it was for F59 since they seam to have issues where to stop as well talking to a few of the crews.

When I didn't see them at other stations I assumed it had to do with something, but what.

Each stations has its own type of placement of the L, 10, 12, signs from being on poles, the sides of the station and moveable poles. Moveable poles can be an major issue for you and others by being in one place one day and another at other times caused by many reasons, but more so the folks that go in after hours and move things illegally.

Been on many trains where the train has miss the platform and crews have to walk to the other end to move the train back so it lines up with the platform. Nice delay.

As a periodic user of Lakeshore East at off peak times I've noticed more people at the stations between Pickering and Union. It seemed before that essentially no one ever got on or off at all the stations within Toronto (except Union obviously). Whether or not its actually the case I'm not sure but its something I've noticed.

Comment in Customer Service report for upcoming meeting - http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pd...30910_BoardMtg_Customer_Service_Report_EN.pdf

"The new 30 minute service on the Lakeshore lines has already attracted 30% more riders."

That's better than I'd have thought, so quickly! I wonder what they were expecting.

Would be interesting to know "30% of what"......I saw it reported on the news last night and the way that it was reported gave the impression that it represented a system wide increase in ridership of 30%....that can't be.

Is it an increase of 30% on lakeshore usage? Probably not....but it probably is a 30% increase in off peak usage on the lakeshore lines....so a 100% increase in service has produced a 30% increase is usage....is that what it is saying?

So are they saying that the average ridership on the off peak trains that was 350 is now 228?

Last edited:
As a periodic user of Lakeshore East at off peak times I've noticed more people at the stations between Pickering and Union. It seemed before that essentially no one ever got on or off at all the stations within Toronto (except Union obviously). Whether or not its actually the case I'm not sure but its something I've noticed.

I've started taking GO to Rouge Hill. Still typically take TTC home as by that time I've walked to the Zoo.

On TTC it is consistently a 90 minute trip for me. On GO, it was a 10 minute subway + 30 minute trip GO + 20 minute walk (to my destination) with the risk of a 1 hour wait if you missed the train; so somewhere between 1 hour and 2 hours. Paying extra for a longer trip sucks.

Now in the worst case it is the same as TTC and a more comfortable ride.

If frequencies were 10 minutes, I would consider additional trips to some of the closer stations.

Last edited:
Would be interesting to know "30% of what"......I saw it reported on the news last night and the way that it was reported gave the impression that it represented a system wide increase in ridership of 30%....that can't be.

Is it an increase of 30% on lakeshore usage? Probably not....but it probably is a 30% increase in off peak usage on the lakeshore lines....so a 100% increase in service has produced a 30% increase is usage....is that what it is saying?

So are they saying that the average ridership on the off peak trains that was 350 is now 228?

I saw that report too, I haven't been able to find any other press releases to corroborate that figure. Indeed it gave the impression of a 30% system wide increase, which would be unrealistic.

Although I wouldn't completely write off the possibility of a 30% increase in Lakeshore usage rather than just an increase in off peak Lakeshore usage. But what you have suggested is probably the most likely scenario.

Even so, I would suggest the more important comparison to be made is with cost. A 100% increase in service does not correlate to a 100% increase in cost. I don't know what but the exact figure would be but I can say this; For one the increase in long hauls and a reduction in split shifts has resulted in a more efficient utilization of crews since the average long haul does 50 to 100% more work than the average split shift. Also the trains previously ideally sat in the yard with the main engine running. Although this undoubtably used far less fuel it did use some meaning the cost wasn't zero for them to not be used on the mainline. And since they own all but 2 miles of the Lakeshore East and West lines there is almost no additional cost to run the trains other than crewing and fuel. As for maintenance they've taken a do more with the same approach(which is why people see so many bathrooms out of service these days). This may catch up to them eventually when it comes to mechanical maintenance issues but for now they seem to be managing relatively well.

Last edited:

Back