News   Aug 08, 2024
 316     0 
News   Aug 08, 2024
 372     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 2.1K     3 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

You guys keep talking about electrification as if it's right around the corner.
And is a station at Lakeview going to pop up overnight? No, obviously we expect it will be delivered in conjunction with electrification and corridor expansion.

What’s important to understand is in the long term, as we continually expand transit, this one corridor gets two birds stoned at once. It has some subway-like stop distances and frequencies as well as long haul express options.

There will be negligible losses to some trips for some period of ramp up time I’m sure. Overall it’s a huge win for what should be a pretty cheap infill station – considering lots of track work was already going to occur in this area.

And is a station at Lakeview going to pop up overnight? No, obviously we expect it will be delivered in conjunction with electrification and corridor expansion.

What’s important to understand is in the long term, as we continually expand transit, this one corridor gets two birds stoned at once. It has some subway-like stop distances and frequencies as well as long haul express options.

There will be negligible losses to some trips for some period of ramp up time I’m sure. Overall it’s a huge win for what should be a pretty cheap infill station – considering lots of track work was already going to occur in this area.
I guess I don't understand why we're trying to convert a regional, heavy rail system into a subway.

Instead of constantly adding new stations to exisisting lines, imo it would be better to improve bus connections to the exisisting stations.

It honestly seems like people, even those within the urbanist/ transit community, don't like taking the bus and would rather have a train station plopped down across the street from them.

This just seems to be another classic example of the GTA sacrificing speed for accessibility. And we've seen what that's done to the Toronto streetcars.

Express trains only run during peak/ rush hours. What about people who take the train during the middle of the day or late in the evening?

but the Lakeshore station is just around the corner?

By the time this station is built, service will look different than today. There will be all-day express services.

One of the two has a signed construction contract, and I can tell you that it's not the station.

Express trains only run during peak/ rush hours. What about people who take the train during the middle of the day or late in the evening?
REPEAT AFTER ME:

THERE WILL BE FREQUENT ALL-DAY EXPRESS SERVICE. How hard is this to understand???
Even if they put shovels in the ground immediately (which is unlikely given the lack of official press release), there would already be significantly improved all-day frequency by the time the station opened.

Last edited:
I guess I don't understand why we're trying to convert a regional, heavy rail system into a subway.
Because its a great way to improve our city's rapid transit that doesn't involve wasting billions of dollars on new subways, allowing us to expand connectivity, promote development for much needed housing, and improve travel times around the region? Like its not we're getting rid of fast express services, not all trains will stop at this station, and these express trains will probably be as frequent as every 15m on their own (based off the tidbits we've gotten over the years).
It honestly seems like people, even those within the urbanist/ transit community, don't like taking the bus and would rather have a train station plopped down across the street from them.

This just seems to be another classic example of the GTA sacrificing speed for accessibility. And we've seen what that's done to the Toronto streetcars.
Right but there is a rail corridor right there? Its not like we're spending billions of dollars building a light rail line that will barely be faster than existing busses on the same corridor, we're just plopping down stations alongside already existing rail corridors whilst not affecting existing express/fast services significantly. This isn't sacrificing speed for accessibility, this is just improving accessibility whilst maintaining speed.

Instead of constantly adding new stations to exisisting lines, imo it would be better to improve bus connections to the exisisting stations.

I don't know how you are managing to ignore all of the information provided to you.

We are not converting a regional service into a subway-like service. We are making the regional service FASTER by eliminating stops like Long Branch and Mimico from all-day diesel services to Aldershot, Hamilton, Niagara etc. And IN ADDITION we are creating a subway-like local service in western Toronto, Missisauga and Oakville.

Last edited:

Back