News   Jul 02, 2024
 492     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 1.9K     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 652     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

It applies to all railway tracks, especially welded rail - at higher temperature metal expands, and if that expansion happens along a very long piece of rail, the accumulated stress can create a kink in the rail. The track is designed and built to minimise this, but when the temperature reaches the 30's in bright sun, the risk is greater and it makes sense to play it safe. Lower speeds mean the stresses imposed by the train on the rail (which add to the thermal stresses) are less.
There were plenty of track patrols out there yesterday and this will no doubt continue as long as the weather holds.

- Paul

PS - it happens to other civil structures also - eg bridges are built with expansion joints as they expand and contract with temperature.
Oh, I know why it happens (but thank you for the explanation anyways), just wondered why we can't use expansion joints or something else so we don't have to worry about this. Lived in Japan for a bit & they get hotter than here (albeit not as cold), and they don't have this issue, so I thought it might be solvable, but it seems after ready all the comments likely not. 😞

Last edited:
Oh, I know why it happens (but thank you for the explanation anyways), just wondered why we can't use expansion joints or something else so we don't have to worry about this. Lived in Japan for a bit & they get hotter than here (albeit not as cold), and they don't have this issue, so I thought it might be solvable, but it seems after ready all the comments likely not. 😞
It's not a problem in Japan because the temperature range isn't as extreme. And all it takes is a couple of degrees to make the problem go away.

The railways here do use expansion joints. For instance, most switches are not welded in, they're bolted in for specifically those reasons. But because of the temperature swings the rate of expansion and contraction is still so substantial as to make it a problem here.

Dan

So does Metrolinx have 2 way running on the Barrie line? I'm currently heading north to Aurora and after we crossed over Langstaff, we just had a 6 coach GO train fly by us heading in the opposite direction.

So does Metrolinx have 2 way running on the Barrie line? I'm currently heading north to Aurora and after we crossed over Langstaff, we just had a 6 coach GO train fly by us heading in the opposite direction.

There are two sections of double track on the Barrie line - between Steeles and Concord, and between Teston and Kirby (just north of Maple). That is sufficient for hourly service off peak in both directions, but it's not enough for more than that.

Additional double track is being built all the way from Parkdale to Steeles, and between Concord and Maple.

- Paul

Anyone know what the Milton line updates for Pride are? I don’t see it on the GO website but saw it mentioned on the departure boards at Union.

Anyone know what the Milton line updates for Pride are? I don’t see it on the GO website but saw it mentioned on the departure boards at Union.

Heading to the Toronto Pride Parade on June 30?
We’ve added special trains on the Milton line to help you get to and from the parade.

If you’re travelling downtown the following trains will depart Milton GO:

9:28 a.m. train, arriving at Union Station at 10:33 a.m.
11:58 a.m. train, arriving at Union Station at 1:03 p.m.
12: 58 p.m. train, arriving at Union Station at 2:03 p.m.

If you’re travelling back towards Milton, the following trains will depart Union Station:

4:55 p.m. train, arriving at Milton GO at 5:57 p.m.
5:55 p.m. train, arriving at Milton GO at 6:57 p.m.
8:25 p.m. train, arriving at Milton GO at 9:27 p.m.

What is the long term plan for Hamilton GO Centre, with West Harbour frequency increasing along with completion of the Confederation GO Station. Will Hamilton GO Centre eventually be phased out of service? I personally hope not, as I live right near it.

Are there any recent stats to show an uptick in Lakeshore West train passengers during the Gardiner construction?
The last ridership update I'm aware of is this one that will be shared at Metrolinx's board meeting tomorrow. GO is seeing a ridership recovery rate of 132% on weekends (I guess 2019 fiscal year end vs 2023?). It will probably take a while before we see the impact of the Gardiner construction through stats but you get the point: the GTA is choosing the GO more than it did before

The last ridership update I'm aware of is this one that will be shared at Metrolinx's board meeting tomorrow. GO is seeing a ridership recovery rate of 132% on weekends (I guess 2019 fiscal year end vs 2023?). It will probably take a while before we see the impact of the Gardiner construction through stats but you get the point: the GTA is choosing the GO more than it did before

It was strange seeing Niagara-on-the-Lake there, as GO cancelled Route 11 several years ago. Also the Science Centre Presto perk.

How much of this is due to the $10 pass?

Back