News   Jun 18, 2024
 73     0 
News   Jun 18, 2024
 311     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 1.1K     4 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Riding LSW at late night yesterday - it was distinctively trashy. Riders sprawled (because there is no better way to put it) across multiple seats like it is a Triclinium; a washroom looking like it is a disaster and to add insult to injury - finding out there is no water after soaping up.

AoD
I've had that happen a few times with the soap.

I'm out of the loop, so I will ask - was there a country music concert downtown last night?

My experience is, that particular audience is far messier than most - death metal and hiphop fans go home peacefully, but the out of town country kids seem to expect to drink on the trains on the way downtown, and come home blind drunk afterwards.... leaving bottles and cans inntheir wake.

I don't usually single any one group out for judgement, and the music itself is within my tastes and I have been to such concerts ... but I won't deny having made this observation before.

- Paul
No idea. I met someone at Union coming in on VIA.

I'm out of the loop, so I will ask - was there a country music concert downtown last night?

My experience is, that particular audience is far messier than most - death metal and hiphop fans go home peacefully, but the out of town country kids seem to expect to drink on the trains on the way downtown, and come home blind drunk afterwards.... leaving bottles and cans inntheir wake.

I don't usually single any one group out for judgement, and the music itself is within my tastes and I have been to such concerts ... but I won't deny having made this observation before.

- Paul
Those folks and groups of rural teens.

I don't think I saw this posted here...

Looks like a near miss with DOW truck last week at the Manse Rd crossing (LSE) is going to slow trains to 50 and have them blow the whistle. Presumably until the safety assessment completes...

This is one of the spots residents complained about the whistles before... Now they're back.

View attachment 572521

Interestingly.. From the same late 2023 article:
View attachment 572536

And what work are they doing and why did they remove the whistles/speed restrictions?
View attachment 572537

Is this a big speed decrease from what the trains were previously doing? cc @smallspy @crs1026

Alvin, you're softening in your old age! LOL No caning?

Not really - I thought dropping them off at the end of the line on the last train of the night counter to the direction of their original trip might be more informative, but it might be a little too extra-judicial.

AoD

Last edited:
I've had that happen a few times with the soap.
Maybe I am just blessed with a strong bladder, but I try very hard to never have to use the restroom on vehicles. Intercontinental flights are usually the only time it becomes necessary for me.

Is this a big speed decrease from what the trains were previously doing? cc @smallspy @crs1026
Yes. But only kinda.

The speed limit through that section is 95mph. There has been an additional PSO through the curves just to the west of that level crossing of 90mph for LRC and 75mph for everything else, so any non-stop trains generally aren't running the full speed limit over the crossing anyways - they're either braking for the PSO, or accelerating out of it.

On top of that, due to the proximity to Guildwood Station along with the Guildwood plant about a mile to the west, and the pretty stiff grade for westbounds, any local GOs aren't really doing track speed anyways. Yes, they will have to slow down, but the reality of the situation is that slowing down to 50mph while occupying the crossing is only costing them seconds on each trip, not minutes.

There are immediate plans afoot for work to reduce or remove the speed limit - cutting back brush along the ROW, along with some reshaping of the berms/ditches on either side of the level crossing to improve sightlines - but I am curious to see what they propose to the roadway changes to prevent this from continuing to be a problem.

Dan

Back