News   Jul 22, 2024
 168     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 282     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1K     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

If the operator sees that the doors aren't clear to close, they shouldn't be trying again until they are clear. Just as clients shouldn't hold the door, operators shouldn't be using the doors as a weapon to stop half of group of people from boarding.
The doors automatically cycle through closing when a block is detected, 3 attempts each one with more force than the last to try and move debris from the door tracks, operator is completely unrelated. If it wasn’t like this half the trains would be delayed in the winter because salt got stuck in the door tracks.

The doors automatically cycle through closing when a block is detected, 3 attempts each one with more force than the last to try and move debris from the door tracks, operator is completely unrelated. If it wasn’t like this half the trains would be delayed in the winter because salt got stuck in the door tracks.
Surely there's a switch to stop the cycling.

And surely they shouldn't have a sole opportunity for closing the door without having to spend 5 minutes to reset everything.

It sounds like it's their design issue. But I'm sure it's more convenient for them to blame their clients.

The person could have well been a tourist from a place where train doors are as forgiving as elevator doors and trains don't leave a minute before the published schedule.

Where in the world are train doors as forgiving as elevator doors? This is a completely foreign concept to me.

I have seen people try to halt train doors across the pond - apart from the doors being much less user friendly, the act of blocking the door attracts a pretty official response from station staff and security personnell.

And yes, I watched someone have a meltdown on the platform when they were ten seconds too late to board. No sympathy shown.

GO train doors sound a chime before they close. The reality is, people continuously trickle onto the platform and there is often no point in the operator waiting in hopes that there will be a pause in the flow. When the chimes sound, you are too late. Sorry for your luck.

- Paul

Where in the world are train doors as forgiving as elevator doors? This is a completely foreign concept to me.
Doors on regional trains in Germany, Austria and Switzerland usually reopen with the slightest obstruction and cycle with no apparent limit (I've seen up to 8x). In practice after a few cycles the crew barks out an admonishment over the PA and people step back. Some long-distance equipment, such as WESTbahn's KISS, also has doors like this.

Back