News   Apr 25, 2024
 363     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

For now, they should at least focus on improving Waterloo-Guelph travel. I can’t stress how frustrating it is seeing the bus schedules be so close to each other, but its still scheduled to be 5-10 minutes earlier or later so you miss that transfer entirely. This hits especially with the GO bus 25 route heading to square one being scheduled to get to Aberfoyle park and ride about 15-20 minutes later, missing both the 29 and 48 in the process, and therefore having to wait 45-60 minutes at a empty terminal. If they at least interlined the schedules so these transfers can actually be done, then transit going from Waterloo Region-Guelph and vice versa wouldn’t be so non existent after all.

I don't think anyone ever considered that people might be trying to travel from Guelph to Kitchener via Aberfoyle. Back when I lived in Kitchener, there was a direct bus service to Guelph (along with the less regular 5 VIA trains a day ... later cut to 3)..

Isn't there a direct bus anymore? Kind of shocking that Region of Waterloo and City of Guelph haven't established one.

Hmm, 20 buses a day according to this clearly non-official and probably not reliable site - https://www.busbud.com/en-ca/bus-guelph-kitchener/r/dpwzvb-dpwxpc

I don't think anyone ever considered that people might be trying to travel from Guelph to Kitchener via Aberfoyle. Back when I lived in Kitchener, there was a direct bus service to Guelph (along with the less regular 5 VIA trains a day ... later cut to 3)..

Isn't there a direct bus anymore? Kind of shocking that Region of Waterloo and City of Guelph haven't established one.

Hmm, 20 buses a day according to this clearly non-official and probably not reliable site - https://www.busbud.com/en-ca/bus-guelph-kitchener/r/dpwzvb-dpwxpc

Nope. Here’s a more reliable source:

After GO RER and electrification, what is the expected travel time for the Barrie-Union express?

IIRC barrie line isnt being electrified past a certain point somewhere in netmarket. So the 30% faster travel times that comes with electrification wouldnt apply from the barrie waterfront station. which i believe is close to 2 hours?

You may get many more trains per day or per hour, but its not going to go too much faster.

If someone wants to pipe in here cause i know they are also double-tracking basically all the way and im not sure if this also decreases travel time

IIRC barrie line isnt being electrified past a certain point somewhere in netmarket. So the 30% faster travel times that comes with electrification wouldnt apply from the barrie waterfront station. which i believe is close to 2 hours?
The Barrie line will be fully electrified all the way to Allandale Waterfront in Barrie. And according to the Barrie Line roll plans, Metrolinx wants to extend double-tracking from Aurora to Newmarket which could extend frequent 15 min service to Newmarket.

I think Barrie to Union is 1h43 or so. If the stops are so widely spaced, does it matter so much that the acceleration is better? Or is the line being upgraded to allow higher operating speeds?

I think Barrie to Union is 1h43 or so. If the stops are so widely spaced, does it matter so much that the acceleration is better? Or is the line being upgraded to allow higher operating speeds?
considering it takes more than a full minute for a current 12 car train to get to max speed (100~ kph) electrified locomotives should have at least a significant impact on travel times

Well, I was thinking a Hamilton style "super express" skipping all or most other stops could produce significant time savings.

Back