News   Apr 18, 2024
 389     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.7K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2K     4 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

The current (ie new) station has one thing (and only one thing) going for it.... enormous tracts of parking next to the 401. It serves Oshawa poorly. That parking will be much less important once service is extended to Bowmanville (where many current parkers live).

If money were no object, I would revert to the original plan for the larger overpass further west and the GO station on the CP line closer to downtown Oshawa. I would add a bypass track out by the GM office facility, to bring VIA onto the GO/CP line so VIA could use the same "downtown" station. Retain the existing station as a stub facility for 5 or 6 peak trains to downtown, for those who don't want to park at the new Bowmanville segment stations. That way the GO/VIA station remains a hub, but in a more developable location.

Sadly, GO and the Province will never admit that the new station is a white elephant. Let's hope that the bus connections remain good.

And frankly, VIA could easily relocate its station to Whitby or Ajax, as that station serves all of Durham Region.

- Paul
So remind me why they need to cross the 401 to use the CP tracks? Why not just extend the GO sub past Oshawa beside the Kingston Sub?

So remind me why they need to cross the 401 to use the CP tracks? Why not just extend the GO sub past Oshawa beside the Kingston Sub?
Because the existing development where the customers are, and the most promising lications for further development, are almost totally north of the 401. The CN line offers lower marketability and less value provided.

- Paul

Because the existing development where the customers are, and the most promising lications for further development, are almost totally north of the 401. The CN line offers lower marketability and less value provided.

- Paul

I would hope that members of a forum called "urban Toronto" would understand the value of building a rail station close to ( approx 1 km) a city's central core rather than through low densities.

I had never considered via relocating to ritson station but both would be extremely helpful in rerevitalizing central oshawa.

Once GO RER is a thing, I think they should move York University station north to Ste
I would hope that members of a forum called "urban Toronto" would understand the value of building a rail station close to ( approx 1 km) a city's central core rather than through low densities.

I had never considered via relocating to ritson station but both would be extremely helpful in rerevitalizing central oshawa.

The problem is how do you get VIA back onto the CN line in the east.

Also, VIA doesnt use the GO tracks east of Pickering. It stays on CN tracks to the south.

Not that it wouldnt be feasible, but im not sure Metrolinx would want them using them, nor VIA want to since they are only double tracked. VIA would easily get stuck behind a GO-RER train making all stops.

Once GO RER is a thing, I think they should move York University station north to Ste

The problem is how do you get VIA back onto the CN line in the east.

Also, VIA doesnt use the GO tracks east of Pickering. It stays on CN tracks to the south.

Not that it wouldnt be feasible, but im not sure Metrolinx would want them using them, nor VIA want to since they are only double tracked. VIA would easily get stuck behind a GO-RER train making all stops.
The Bellville sub has a few places where they connect to the Kingston Sub, and one is near Cobourg.

You could also build one at Stevenson Rd in Newcastle.

The Bellville sub has a few places where they connect to the Kingston Sub, and one is near Cobourg.

You could also build one at Stevenson Rd in Newcastle.

That might be true, but the GO tracks for the Bowmanville extension will be separate from CPs and only exist in their corridor, they won't be using CP's tracks.

So then there would have to be another connection to the GO line, which is slated for single track initially.

I simply just don't see this happening, VIA will most likely continue to use the existing Oshawa GO station for quite some time.

I simply just don't see this happening, VIA will most likely continue to use the existing Oshawa GO station for quite some time.
Given the penny wise, pound poor way we plan rail passenger in this country, I agree with you. I raised the possibility in the context of “If I were running things”.

A Durham GO-VIA hub is right headed. Alas, we will be stuck with it being at the current Oshawa location, because otherwise the brand-new Oshawa depot will be seen as a white elephant. (which it is).

A CN-CP connecting track (with 401 overpass) out around Townline Road would not be expensive in the scheme of things. Nor would an interlocking to put VIA back on the Kingston Sub due west of the Oshawa platform. The operational constraints are no bigger than what VIA is proposing to do with HFR, putting it on the Stouffville line from Agincourt to Scarborough Jct.

Personally, I would still like to see that hub on the CP line, much closer to downtown Oshawa.

- Paul

Given the penny wise, pound poor way we plan rail passenger in this country, I agree with you. I raised the possibility in the context of “If I were running things”.

A Durham GO-VIA hub is right headed. Alas, we will be stuck with it being at the current Oshawa location, because otherwise the brand-new Oshawa depot will be seen as a white elephant. (which it is).

A CN-CP connecting track (with 401 overpass) out around Townline Road would not be expensive in the scheme of things. Nor would an interlocking to put VIA back on the Kingston Sub due west of the Oshawa platform. The operational constraints are no bigger than what VIA is proposing to do with HFR, putting it on the Stouffville line from Agincourt to Scarborough Jct.

Personally, I would still like to see that hub on the CP line, much closer to downtown Oshawa.

- Paul
By extending the GO train to Cobourg would allow people to transfer to VIA without having to go to Oshawa and then travel back east.
How hard is it to build a cross over track when the the tracks are right beside each other? You would need to integrate the CTC but you have to build it for the the new tracks anyways.

- Paul
But it would be helpful to have a way to get trains to and from that line in case there is a blockage or derailment. Which is why either have a cross over with the Belleville Sub or connect to the Kingston Sub at Cobourg.

That might be true, but the GO tracks for the Bowmanville extension will be separate from CPs and only exist in their corridor, they won't be using CP's tracks.

This is incorrect. Another track or pair of tracks will be added to CP's, but they will be linked at several interlockings along the way to maximize the capacity of the corridor.

Dan

What are the chances of a go bus route going from oakville to kitchener via Sheridan College, Trafalgar/407, Milton, 401/25, Aberfoyle, U of Guelph, Highway 7, Laurier and U of Waterloo. Serving 4 post secondary institutions and having better connectivity on Trafalgar and Halton as a whole is something ML would be down for right? I wish this would happen.

What are the chances of a go bus route going from oakville to kitchener via Sheridan College, Trafalgar/407, Milton, 401/25, Aberfoyle, U of Guelph, Highway 7, Laurier and U of Waterloo. Serving 4 post secondary institutions and having better connectivity on Trafalgar and Halton as a whole is something ML would be down for right? I wish this would happen.

Hmmm, I mapped out a route that would meet your specifications: The dots are of no significance, just spots I used to draw the line.

1613078970495.png

Back