News   Apr 23, 2024
 519     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 393     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 637     0 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

I don’t think it means anything, but Metrolinx has recently been exclusively using images of bilevels running under concatenary.
It's stock renders from their consultants. They just throw whatever block they have in their library

A waiver isn't even required anymore.

EMUs would be great, but not sure we need them anytime soon.
Probably not immediately, but if they're going to realise their goal or 3.5min headways, honking huge bilevel trains can't get them there efficiently

It's stock renders from their consultants. They just throw whatever block they have in their library
Absolutely - but that IS what the Metrolinx marketing position has been lately. They haven't been showing EMUs, which is contrary to some of the statements earlier in this thread.

To be fair since the start of rer they've been marketing the Stadler kiss in all their promotional material. Unless it's some rookie error by an intern, theor preference towards multiple units has been clear all along
I think that it's a bit of a stretch to ascribe the use of clipart and stock images in public-facing documents as an actual corporate preference.

Dan

I wonder what current GO motive power will be retired as a result of electrification

It's obvious that the F59s will be retired, I wouldn't even be surprised if they get withdrawn before electrification.

But what about GO's fleet of MP40s and MP54s? How many of those will be retired?

I wonder what current GO motive power will be retired as a result of electrification

It's obvious that the F59s will be retired, I wouldn't even be surprised if they get withdrawn before electrification.

But what about GO's fleet of MP40s and MP54s? How many of those will be retired?
They will prob be retained for the rh line and non electrified portions. But the MP40s will probably be sold off to other agencies.

On the other hand, Exo just pulled their MR90 fleet prematurely. Maybe they can grab those sets for cheap

They will prob be retained for the rh line and non electrified portions. But the MP40s will probably be sold off to other agencies.

On the other hand, Exo just pulled their MR90 fleet prematurely. Maybe they can grab those sets for cheap
We don't need second hand equipment. What they need are real dual mode locomotives.

Would the Bombardier ALP-45DP be powerful enough to pull 12 car BI-level trainset to 90mph between stations?

Could Alstom make them?

We don't need second hand equipment. What they need are real dual mode locomotives.

Would the Bombardier ALP-45DP be powerful enough to pull 12 car BI-level trainset to 90mph between stations?

Could Alstom make them?
If they're looking for a cheaper quicker start to emus for the lakeshore, they essentially have one on a silver platter.

Metrolinx have stated publicly they they intend to run shorter trainsets more frequently. At 4 min headways there's no point in having behemoth 12 car cattle cars anymore

If they intend to run mixed, they'll might simply put an existing GO diesel locomotive on one end and a new electric locomotive on the other. A 4MW electric locomotive won't have any issue hauling a 6-car train + diesel locomotive around; acceleration might be slow but the longer end-of-line services were expected to be limited stop and have slow diesel driven acceleration.

Last edited:
If they're looking for a cheaper quicker start to emus for the lakeshore, they essentially have one on a silver platter.

Metrolinx have stated publicly they they intend to run shorter trainsets more frequently. At 4 min headways there's no point in having behemoth 12 car cattle cars anymore
Better start building those cab cars because they are going to need a lot of them.

Maybe that's why they're rebuilding all the old cab cars now
except that GO is actually converting cab cars 242-250 into regular coaches like originally intended for most of the old cab cars

I've even heard that GO's newest old cab cars have only been back brought into service recently so that GO can wear them out for parts, although I highly doubt that as most of them are only 8-14 years old.

Looks like some of GO’s old “flat face” cab cars are getting a second lease on life as cab cars (rather than being converted to regular coaches), as seen by the paint scheme here. Not sure who to credit the photo to as it was reposted a few times in various forums on other sites.

(pic removed)
You know, looking back on this, I have to wonder whether this was the first clue to the notion that GO was not going to get EMUs immediately for electrification.

I mean if GO were to expand service before electrification, a full rebuild of the cars that would take quite a while and cost millions of dollars would be nonsensical. It would have made more sense for GO to just reinstall all the removed cab car features and then scrap them once electrification begins.

Could Alstom make them?
Don't need to have 12 car trains as service levels increases using electrification. You MP40's for 12 car train beyond electrification points as service levels will be less and until CN/CP allow electrification in their corridor.

6-8 car trains is all you need for high quality of service with some lines being as low as 4 cars.

Never saw more than 8 cars trains in Europe doing GO style service, Even some trains doing intercity style service had only 8 DD cars.

Until a true expansion timetable comes into effect, the old cab cars can fill end until replacement starts to show up as well what equipment will look like.

Expansion will be on going before electrification starts and will take time to do it.

Don't need to have 12 car trains as service levels increases using electrification. You MP40's for 12 car train beyond electrification points as service levels will be less and until CN/CP allow electrification in their corridor.

6-8 car trains is all you need for high quality of service with some lines being as low as 4 cars.

Never saw more than 8 cars trains in Europe doing GO style service, Even some trains doing intercity style service had only 8 DD cars.

Until a true expansion timetable comes into effect, the old cab cars can fill end until replacement starts to show up as well what equipment will look like.

Expansion will be on going before electrification starts and will take time to do it.
I think 10 cars may be the max for GO as a whole.

I don't see the need for 12 car trains when you will have the electrified frequent service near the city core, and all the diesel services will be on the outskirts.

Back