News   May 03, 2024
 154     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 884     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 253     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

The city still see this area as commercial and employment only with no vision for residential and maintaining The Car City Thinking.
I had my hopes high up when the draft Official Plan came out saying residential would be allowed in the Dixie district. It turned out that wasn't intended, though if the Dun-Dix Square developer hadn't tried to get the node boundary fixed the wording could have slipped through.

Not much has happen at Clarkson and still a lot of work to completed it.

Drum, as a regular user of Clarkson GO, why has it taken so damn long to build a parking structure? It's literally taken over 3 years at this point and it doesn't seem like the actual structure will be finished until next year, not to mention they've cordoned off large parts of the parking lot as well.

Drum, as a regular user of Clarkson GO, why has it taken so damn long to build a parking structure? It's literally taken over 3 years at this point and it doesn't seem like the actual structure will be finished until next year, not to mention they've cordoned off large parts of the parking lot as well.
I was talking to someone yesterday on this and I can't figure why this project as well Burlington are taking sooooo loooong to be completed. In all my years in construction, the goal was to complete a project on time or ahead of schedule as you have too much money being held up with the 10% hold back that includes your profit. All monthly invoices have a 10% hold back.

Every project I have follow for GO Transit over the last 10 years, very few have been completed on time. For a simple parking garage or station, it should have taken less time than it has. These are design & built contracts as P3's and one would think they would get the work done faster with all the funds and interested charges coming out of someone pocket to the point you are losing money.

In the time it has taken to build these projects, Sq One has completed the first expansion and well along on the 2nd. 210 Simcoe Condo has been built that is 20s tall.

They are starting to add the flashing at the roof that should have been done last year along with the roof itself.

I have asked Metrolinx as to why these delays and have never given me an answer as to why than the standard BS. Even TTC has the same issue.

If it was the platform, train time is the real time killer and more harder to work around to get things done on time than a parking structure. Burlington, Oakville and Erindale Station Parking structures took a long time to be built than they should, but not as long as this one.

It could be a cash flow from Metrolinx that slowing things down, otherwise I am lost as to why the delay.

Last edited:
I was talking to someone yesterday on this and I can't figure why this project as well Burlington are taking sooooo loooong to be completed. In all my years in construction, the goal was to complete a project on time or ahead of schedule as you have too much money being held up with the 10% hold back that includes your profit. All monthly invoices have a 10% hold back.

Every project I have follow for GO Transit over the last 10 years, very few have been completed on time. For a simple parking garage or station, it should have taken less time than it has. These are design & built contracts as P3's and one would think they would get the work done faster with all the funds and interested charges coming out of someone pocket to the point you are losing money.

In the time it has taken to build these projects, Sq One has completed the first expansion and well along on the 2nd. 210 Simcoe Condo has been built that is 20s tall.

They are starting to add the flashing at the roof that should have been done last year along with the roof itself.

I have asked Metrolinx as to why these delays and have never given me an answer as to why than the standard BS. Even TTC has the same issue.

If it was the platform, train time is the real time killer and more harder to work around to get things done on time than a parking structure. Burlington, Oakville and Erindale Station Parking structures took a long time to be built than they should, but not as long as this one.

It could be a cash flow from Metrolinx that slowing things down, otherwise I am lost as to why the delay.

Are they by chance the same contractor for both? And yes, I've worked with contractors as well (from a government perspective), and it's very strange that a contractor would delay a project that much. Usually it's the consultant process and the tendering that results in the schedule slip. If it is a funding issue, you have to wonder how much was put into the Change Orders in order to cause a funding crunch. Yikes.

I need to double check it to make sure, but was told on the weekend the same contractor is doing both Burlington and Clarkson. I don't think that is correct and why I need to double check.

If it is true, than some of my thinking are correct.

The contractor doing Clarkson is trying to complete it work on the Pan Am projects ASP and using manpower from Clarkson on these project and taking a risk in doing it. There will be less fall out from the Clarkson project than the Pan Am games ones. It also means the contractor has over extended their manpower and subs.

As of September, the contractor hadn't place an order for the mesh that is required for Clarkson that has to come from Germany.

Metrolinx finally put their foot down on some of this mess causes by the contractor trying to get change orders to substitute various material at a reduce cost to the contractor by saying no and get the work done ASP. I had a feeling something like this was taking place by how long something stood still.

This also show Metrolinx lack manpower and knowledgeable people to run these projects in the first place to allow these things to drag on. Any build/developer who is on the ball would have jump all over this mess along time ago to get the contractor to comply with the contractor or noted them in-default and got someone else to complete the project at the contractor cost.

James North

James North GO (Hamilton) as of today - Sun Oct 19 -

776A911B-A544-4306-B29E-5943507571F6_zps09fgje6h.jpg

F9348594-1BFF-4A87-ACB6-560414414E9B_zps4sgj8p9f.jpg

441477B6-79EC-4EF4-9813-FF3C70C3BFFF_zpsqruisnpd.jpg

taken by me

Thanks for sharing! I assume those structures are elevator shafts / stairwells?

That's right. Pictured was structure #1 of 2. The other will attach to the Bay St bridge, just as Structure #1 attaches to the McNab St bridge.

The tracks are not yet laid, but as mentioned will be directly below/between the pictured station structure.

Oct 23
What Can I say about Clarkson that I haven't said in the past as I pass it today going to Burlington. They are preparing the roof for flashing and see no changes since last. Will visit the site next week.

Burlington is a little better as the south roof is 60% done and being held up while concrete work take place for sidewalks, platforms and the driveway. 80% of all the concrete work is done and should be completed next week including the driveway from Plains Rd. The driveway is being pour in stagger section on a 45 angle as well the internal driveway.

Because the concrete work is stopping the roofing on the south side, nothing stopping them doing the ends or the north side.

I get the impression the land clearing and grading taking place on Paradigm Condo site next door, that Metrolinx is going to build a temporary parking lot for the current south one so it can be rebuilt and layout different than it is now. It well allowing the building the rest of the new station and bus terminal where the current one is once the new section open in the spring. Could be wrong, as I can't see any construction taking place on Phase 1 when it took years of sales to get other ones smaller than this one built. Couldn't get into the sales office as they are only open 4-8 pm and was taking the 1604 train. Will check next week when I am in Hamilton with wheels. They have concrete barriers all around the site now.

The 2nd bridge in KW is in place and they are still working on the retaining walls and piers for the 3rd bridge. 3rd bridge is not in the budget as noted.

They still have a lot of work to do as they are building the upper retaining pedestrian sidewall on the east side and have yet to start the west.

When I check out the temporary pedestrian walkway to the west of the construction, I notices there is a major issue getting the 3rd track in into the corridor that there is 2 options of doing it. One is to buy the building to the west so the parking and driveway is removed or it is torn down to maintain the straightness of the corridor which I don't support. Option 2 would see the corridor shift to the south and putting a bend into the current tracks to get the 3rd one in and not that big deal.

Not sure if current plans call for an access from the new sidewalk to the future station platform that will be on the north side of the new 3rd track as there isn't enough space to put the new platform between the current track and the new one.

The overpass to the east of the station is close and most likely due to building a new one that will support 3 tracks clearance compare to the current 2 only one.

The first bridge north girder is now the centre support one for both bridges and miss that when I saw it the first time.

They still have a lot of work to do as they are building the upper retaining pedestrian sidewall on the east side and have yet to start the west.

This is Kitchener, man! You mean the South and North sides, respectively!

Or as I call them: the "East" (South) side, and the "West" (North) side.

(Switching back to sane compass directions, not Kitchener's)

Not sure if current plans call for an access from the new sidewalk to the future station platform that will be on the north side of the new 3rd track as there isn't enough space to put the new platform between the current track and the new one.
There shouldn't be plans for a North side platform there. The medium term plan is to move the train station to King St, at which point, this whole section at Weber will be well east of the station. We won't need more than a single platform until the move, as I don't see anything resembling frequent service starting until 2020 at the earliest, which is the horizon at which the station will move to King.

The overpass to the east of the station is close and most likely due to building a new one that will support 3 tracks clearance compare to the current 2 only one.
Afraid not.
The Margaret St overpass was demolished when structural design deficiencies were found. They have recently approved funding and construction on the replacement, but have approved an overpass that will only support 2 tracks underneath. 3 tracks were considered, however without firm details of plans for highspeed, or even rapid service, Kitchener (which is footing the entire bill) could not justify the extra expense.

Fun fact: Construction on the replacement span starts today

(Switching back to sane compass directions, not Kitchener's)

There shouldn't be plans for a North side platform there. The medium term plan is to move the train station to King St, at which point, this whole section at Weber will be well east of the station. We won't need more than a single platform until the move, as I don't see anything resembling frequent service starting until 2020 at the earliest, which is the horizon at which the station will move to King.

Afraid not.
The Margaret St overpass was demolished when structural design deficiencies were found. They have recently approved funding and construction on the replacement, but have approved an overpass that will only support 2 tracks underneath. 3 tracks were considered, however without firm details of plans for highspeed, or even rapid service, Kitchener (which is footing the entire bill) could not justify the extra expense.

Fun fact: Construction on the replacement span starts today

Which direction is what in various cities can get you turn around at times when you don't visited them on a regular base. Windsor and Detroit were another for me this weekend considering I worked in both cities.

Just took a look at a long range shot of Margaret St and it looks like there is enough clearance for 3 tracks now, depending on the clearance height under the overpass for the 3rd track. Long shot and close looks can two different things. High speed only surface in the last 6 month and well after any plan was drawn up for the replacement bridge. It maybe cheaper to lower the tracks than replace the new bridge if there is enough room for 3 tracks in the first place.

Forgot about the move to King and you will only need what you have now until the new station is built at King. 2020 sounds right and in advance of the 10 year plan time frame set by the government.

Back