News   Jul 15, 2024
 407     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 563     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 566     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

A fair portion of it. The track is in horrible shape and speed restricted to 30mph all the way from Valley Inn Rd. until Woodward Ave, a distance of over 7miles(11km) and is actually just single main track from the Desjardins canal until John st. They will have to upgrade the current main track between Desjardin as well as built a new track south of the current one(noted in the ESR) for bi-directional service. Basically 5 miles of new main track with new crossovers at Hamilton Jct. and a controlled location at James st and a retaining wall for a significant portion of it.

IIRC, the reason for the PSO through Hamilton isn't due to surface conditions but rather the number of level crossings and the proximity to the neighbourhood. It's the same reason for the 35mph PSO through Weston or 10mph PSO on Guelph.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

IIRC, the reason for the PSO through Hamilton isn't due to surface conditions but rather the number of level crossings and the proximity to the neighbourhood. It's the same reason for the 35mph PSO through Weston or 10mph PSO on Guelph.

Yes I'd agree thats the case for the Grimsby sub portion of the PSO, but it would certainly not explain the Oakville sub portion. It's 3 miles from when the PSO's starts at mile 36.9 of the Oakville sub until the first level crossing at mile 43.14 of the Grimsby sub - Wellington st. FYI for those not aware, the Grimsby sub has different mileages than the Oakville sub.

I'm not sure why the 30 extends so far, when Hamilton yard was a busy location it probably made sense to have such a PSO in that area. Also horrible may be an overstatement, but having operated through that section that I can attest to the general poor condition of the track. In any case my point was that I don't believe the current track as is can support any kind of speed increase and I doubt they'd want all day service to the James st. Station to crawl through there at such a glacial pace.

Yes I'd agree thats the case for the Grimsby sub portion of the PSO, but it would certainly not explain the Oakville sub portion. It's 3 miles from when the PSO's starts at mile 36.9 of the Oakville sub until the first level crossing at mile 43.14 of the Grimsby sub - Wellington st. FYI for those not aware, the Grimsby sub has different mileages than the Oakville sub.

I'm not sure why the 30 extends so far, when Hamilton yard was a busy location it probably made sense to have such a PSO in that area. Also horrible may be an overstatement, but having operated through that section that I can attest to the general poor condition of the track. In any case my point was that I don't believe the current track as is can support any kind of speed increase and I doubt they'd want all day service to the James st. Station to crawl through there at such a glacial pace.

It doesn't explain the section on the Oakville Sub, you're right. But that PSO has been around for a very long time - I've got track maps from 1985 and 1986 that show it. I wonder if it is/was due to proximity to the yard, because the curvature through there alone doesn't justify it, and as you pointed out neither does the way that area is built up.

As for the condition, I can't help but wonder if one begat the other - that is, because of the PSO there is no need or impetus to improve the condition of the track beyond what is required and necessary for 30mph operation.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

As for the condition, I can't help but wonder if one begat the other - that is, because of the PSO there is no need or impetus to improve the condition of the track beyond what is required and necessary for 30mph operation.

Agreed that's most likely the case, CN deciding not to do anything other then the minimal amount of maintenance.

From the pictures above, seeing as how they removed the truck transfer facility it looks as though they'll be replicating what they did at Oakville yard when they shifted the mainline south of all yard tracks. Or perhaps they are creating a new set of GO-only mainline tracks from Hamilton Jct to the James st. station akin to the GO sub being separated from the Kingston at Durham jct. The ESR wasn't entirely clear on the plan.

From the pictures above, seeing as how they removed the truck transfer facility it looks as though they'll be replicating what they did at Oakville yard when they shifted the mainline south of all yard tracks. Or perhaps they are creating a new set of GO-only mainline tracks from Hamilton Jct to the James st. station akin to the GO sub being separated from the Kingston at Durham jct. The ESR wasn't entirely clear on the plan.

They will be shifting the mainline to the south immediately west of the Desjardins Canal, with the rule 105/Oakville-Grimsby Connecting Track requiring a switch off of the south main. Somewhere closer to the platform, there will be a switch off of the north main that will allow for access to the platforms.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Thanks for the info. Sound like it will be similar to the current set up they have at Aldershot. Which makes me wonder what they will do with the pocket track at Aldershot once all day service is extended to James st. Presumably they will extend it to snake and connect it to track 3 there.

Thanks for the info. Sound like it will be similar to the current set up they have at Aldershot. Which makes me wonder what they will do with the pocket track at Aldershot once all day service is extended to James st. Presumably they will extend it to snake and connect it to track 3 there.
The south side is setup to have future tracks and is to connect to the mainline on both ends. I think there was to be a 3rd track as well and need to do some digging to find the EA material box up at this time and to put a stub track.

There was a plan to have a fueling tank there, but not sure if it still on the books. With the fuel tucks doing that work today, it may continue doing it down the road than having a fueling place.

Does anyone have any info on the Midtown Toronto line that was talked about around this time a year ago? Seems like there was a lot of buzz about it last year but since then I haven't heard anything about it.

Looked like a great idea, especially with the talk of North Toronto station being renovated and brought back into service.

Does anyone have any info on the Midtown Toronto line that was talked about around this time a year ago? Seems like there was a lot of buzz about it last year but since then I haven't heard anything about it.

Looked like a great idea, especially with the talk of North Toronto station being renovated and brought back into service.

New info? No.

It will take a lot of work to happen because the corridor it runs in is owned by CPR and is their mainline.

So you will need at least a 3rd track the whole length.

Its also not a priority for Metrolinx, its on the 30 year plan.

http://transit.toronto.on.ca/regional/2106.shtml

which is the mainline portion of the Milton line, which does in fact have plans for an upgrade. Its the portion through central Toronto that currently has no train service which Metrolinx has no plans for anytime soon.

meanwhile in Mississauga, Bonnie Crombie has ambitious designs on CP Milton... http://bonniecrombie.ca/latest-news...ombie-announces-ambitious-rapid-transit-plan/
Bonnie is the only one of the two horse race who support transit and willing to invest in it if she becomes mayor.

Hard sell for an LRT on Derry Rd when ridership doesn't support a BRT, let alone a 100 service these days. You will get more from Bonnie than Steve on transit since a number of the group who help write the May Transit Report are part of her team, but I am not one of them.

Dundas will be an BRT since this is Metrolinx project as well not having a ridership west of Hurontario to support an LRT in the first place. The valley at Mississauga Road will require a bridge over it because of the steep grade.

The GO Crosstown line has to be a 4 track as its the only way CP will allow it. Grade separation are going to be a real issue along it. There is room for more than 4 tacks in most of the corridor. It has been an 25+ year project for a least 10 years already because of cost and CP.

Bonnie is the only one of the two horse race who support transit and willing to invest in it if she becomes mayor.

Hard sell for an LRT on Derry Rd when ridership doesn't support a BRT, let alone a 100 service these days. You will get more from Bonnie than Steve on transit since a number of the group who help write the May Transit Report are part of her team, but I am not one of them.

Dundas will be an BRT since this is Metrolinx project as well not having a ridership west of Hurontario to support an LRT in the first place. The valley at Mississauga Road will require a bridge over it because of the steep grade.

The GO Crosstown line has to be a 4 track as its the only way CP will allow it. Grade separation are going to be a real issue along it. There is room for more than 4 tacks in most of the corridor. It has been an 25+ year project for a least 10 years already because of cost and CP.

I know they are just lines on a map, but the Dundas LRT does seem a little redundant in the east with GO RER.

In a city of one million I just cant see the ridership being justified for an LRT and express rail in the same corridor. Maybe I am wrong though.

I know they are just lines on a map, but the Dundas LRT does seem a little redundant in the east with GO RER.

In a city of one million I just cant see the ridership being justified for an LRT and express rail in the same corridor. Maybe I am wrong though.
Servicing 2 different markets and needs.

The city still see this area as commercial and employment only with no vision for residential and maintaining The Car City Thinking.

I see some work has finally taken place at The Burlington GO Station. About 40% of the south roof has roofing material on it finally. They have also place some glazing on the canopy.

Depending on the weather, the bus loop sidewalks should be fully pour along with the curbs by the end of next week. Layover bus bays are on both side of the entrance/exit starting just north of the street sidewalk, as well around most of the loop that can be completed now until the existing station is removed. Mesh should start to be place for the new loop driveway next week or the coming weeks.

It possible that the new west entrance will be open before the end of the years so rest of the existing station can be remove to allow rest of the loop to be built.

Not much has happen at Clarkson and still a lot of work to completed it.

I see they built a new wide north platform at Mimico GO Station.

In 2016, a new east tunnel and platform elevators are to be built as well a snow melting system for the platforms. Now construction has started on the new condo and new station, one hope elevators will be added at the west end.

Back