News   Sep 26, 2024
 769     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 833     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Via an email reply from Metrolinx.

Let's translate so we're clear that we're all spitballing here (whihc is fun and welcome and the purpose of this thread, no?):

Blah blah boilerplate promo sentence from Minister's Office blah blah blah. The work isn't directly related to West Harbour, it'll have impacts though.

Blah blah describing the work as you already know blah blah. Blah blah blah this is what the problem you already know is blah blah. Blah blah benefit of the work you already know blah blah. Here's a pat on the back for your time.

One skit from the Royal Canadian Air Farce I remember was when they parodied a speech from the throne in the Mulroney Era. It went thusly;

Good thing, good thing, good thing
Good thing, blarney, boast, bull sh*t
Greatest Government in the history of Canada!

Replace greatest government in the history of Canada, with greatest transit provider in Canada and you have public communication from Metrolinx!

^ try emailing Metrolinx to see what they'll say: TorontoEast@metrolinx.com
Good idea, thanks. Their response on Danforth plans and construction:
There is no plan in place yet for future construction at Danforth GO. This will be part of our next work phase, On-Corridor.

We will communicate with the community when this begins, and what the construction plans are.
I find this a bit hard to believe given there's track construction underway on both sides of the station already. We will see I guess 🤷‍♂️

Not too interesting, but they have been surveying all the utilities at Appleby GO. Not sure if this is related to eventually station improvements, electrification, or for investigation work related to eventual level boarding.

View attachment 594394View attachment 594395View attachment 594396
Definitely related to electrification. I confirmed with a Metrolinx employee a few weeks ago. It’s not just appleby, it’s at every station along Lakeshore West.

I’ve read on various websites that Metrolinx cancelled the weekend closures when Taylor Swift is in town in November. Is that true? If yes, is there any indication of what projects were delayed?

I haven’t been able to find the original construction schedule for fall 2024.

West Harbour pocket track upcoming work update from MX here.

Let me bring that forward for everyone:

1726674456556.png

1726674490256.png

1726674527169.png

That's the first I've seen confirming the length of the pocket track - basically just long enough to store an extra GO train past the platforms if needed, by the looks of it.

I read it differently - what is being called a “pocket track” is actually the platform trackage. The graphic appears to indicate a turnout immediately east of the platform, narrowing the two platform tracks to a single new track (a “connecting track” in other terms) which then joins the existing mainline at.a second new turnout to the east. I don’t see much value in using that connecting track as a layover track (although it looks long enough to serve that purpose) as that would demand more complicated signalling, and would remove the whole intent of eliminating a backup move for through trains.

- Paul

Back