News   Sep 26, 2024
 658     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 1.4K     4 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 736     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Not too interesting, but they have been surveying all the utilities at Appleby GO. Not sure if this is related to eventually station improvements, electrification, or for investigation work related to eventual level boarding.

PXL_20240906_213215176.jpg
PXL_20240906_213221141.jpg
PXL_20240906_213224802.jpg

^ I'm almost tempted to think it will be for the poles on the platform similar to what they did for that other station (can't remember which one). @crs1026 pointed it out.

I was reading through the upcoming Metrolinx board meeting. The November construction on Lakeshore East/Stouffville lines is to shift tracks in the east end.

Metrolinx continued to advance the SmartTrack stations program in the City of Toronto through various enabling works, including the critical East Harbour Transit Hub. There, recent work has focused on readying the railway corridor for a critical track shift planned in November that will move live GO traffic to the southern edge of the site and clear space for station construction to begin on the north. A key element is the replacement of the rail bridge over Eastern Avenue Bridge with a wider structure that can accommodate the future expanded joint corridor with four GO tracks and two Ontario Line tracks, each served by a platform face.

Niagara trains will terminate at Aldershot due to unspecified "track work" between Burlington and Niagara Falls September 10, 11, 17, 18, 19, 24, 25, 26. Does anyone know what this is for? Possibly West Harbour connection?
I'll pop over and take a look if they're installing the connector track sometime over the next couple weeks to check.

There is also the possibility of grading the west end of Confederation station where new tracks will have to be built and cut into the mainline as it has to happen at some point and a fair bit of work to do it.. Lots of trees and brushes have to be cut and remove before grading take place.

The station is not ready for trackwork at this time for the south track as well needing it. The north will go in first when it comes time to do so for trackwork that will see a swatch cut into the mainline in 2025
Aug 23
1725803122045.jpeg

1725803509313.jpeg

Niagara trains will terminate at Aldershot due to unspecified "track work" between Burlington and Niagara Falls September 10, 11, 17, 18, 19, 24, 25, 26. Does anyone know what this is for? Possibly West Harbour connection?

Via an email reply from Metrolinx.

The ongoing track work will help facilitate critical GO Expansion track work in addition to regular maintenance work that will bring faster, more frequent service across the entire GO network. While this work is not taking place specifically at West Harbour, some train service will be affected.

The ongoing track work near West Harbour will extend a dead-end track to help facilitate faster service between Aldershot and Niagara Falls. Currently, trains leaving West Harbour Station must back up toward Aldershot Station before they can continue to east Hamilton and Niagara region. Once the work is complete, this will no longer be necessary and as a result, it will save 20 minutes in commuter time. Thank you for contacting Metrolinx.

Thanks for contacting Metrolinx. Interesting that they say this work is not happening at West Harbour yet declined to answer the question of what track work will requires 8 days of closures.
It's "stuff". I love how they said "it's not for that" but didn't think it would be worth answering the reason. Like... Why so secretive?

Thanks for contacting Metrolinx. Interesting that they say this work is not happening at West Harbour yet declined to answer the question of what track work will requires 8 days of closures.
Maybe they are starting from the east and working their way towards West Harbour? Thoughts @crs1026?

Maybe they are starting from the east and working their way towards West Harbour? Thoughts @crs1026?

Splitting hairs, imho. The interception happened in the end zone, so it wasn't "on the field" - yeesh.

Clearly the work consists of extending track from the platform at West Harbour, with one or two switches installed into the interlocking plant at CN Hamilton. That requires severing the mainline track to install a switch, so the route is not usable at all until everything is commissioned and tested.

I wonder if they will install a turnout to expedite extension to Confederation, or leave that til later?

(side thought - I wonder if both West Harbour tracks are to be connected, or will one remain a stub track?)

- Paul

^ Thanks, Paul. I guess we'll see what pictures people may get during the closure days and if anything is unclear I'm happy to go back and ask for more specifics. #UrbanTorontoWantsToKnow

^ Thanks, Paul. I guess we'll see what pictures people may get during the closure days and if anything is unclear I'm happy to go back and ask for more specifics. #UrbanTorontoWantsToKnow

I think the work package is pretty obvious and hopefully will happen on the dates announced. What's puzzling is why ML tries so hard to be obtuse when a plain answer is neither difficult nor controversial.

- Paul

Back