News   Aug 30, 2024
 3.1K     2 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 2.9K     1 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 652     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I am loathe to defend Bloomington - it's an overbuilt station most certainly. But pushing the tracks that far up the line made sense, to try to draw cars off the 404. A much more modest station was all that was needed.

The Bloomington design actually predates the current government, btw. There was a period where the previous government was endorsing all sorts of grandiose stations, mostly because stations can be built faster than tracks and they simply wanted things for photo ops. Hamilton got its share in that era, as evidenced by the Pan Am games emphasis that made West Harbour a priority. (and yes, once the games were over, ML did seem to forget about completing the work, and both the station and the triple tracking from it over thru Bayview sat half-done for years thereafter).

More recently, Ford has not shown an interest in Hamilton mostly as it was NDP territory.... the cancellation of the LRT and Minister Mulroney's cowardly backout of that public meeting certainly speaks volumes......but to make the picture complete, Hamilton Council has sent all sorts of messages over the years that it didn't want that transit either.

The recent bit of track and signalling at Aldershot at least enables more frequent service than hourly when ML is ready to offer it. The Hunter Street tunnel is a some-day proposition. I would put extensions to the Grimsby line beyond Stoney Creek as more deserving of scarce funding. Confederation could certainly be advanced faster.

So while I can't say that Hamilton has escaped a few low blows, I would not say the city has been singled out. There is certainly an opportunity that is being missed - to intensify and upscale Hamilton as a cheaper and better way to add density in the GTA than trying to force it into a reluctant Toronto. I would support a concerted effort to drive growth in Hamilton. But - be careful what you ask for - where does Hamilton stand on the yellow belt issue? Is Hamilton ready to build 4-plexes as of right?

- Paul

For decades, it was Brampton that was left out of GO Transit service and infrastructure. I still remember when there was only a Union Station bus every three hours. Hamilton had it pretty good with the QEW bus in comparison.

Hmm toronto sun coming out with a useful article? colour me suprised

This is actually interesting, though, query in what time frame those 12 trains exist? 12 more at once? 12 more trains per hour?

I really wonder why this went to the racist, Conservative-embedded Brian Lilley though, and not a bonifide transportation or urban affairs journalist like Oliver Moore at the Globe or Ben Spurr at the Star.

Wait until the cab car enthusiasts find out that DB doesn't see any need to rush those recently refurbished cab cars into service after all.... ;-)
Oh man can’t wait to see that in the equipment thread, along with “theories” on why they aren’t in service yet

For decades, it was Brampton that was left out of GO Transit service and infrastructure. I still remember when there was only a Union Station bus every three hours. Hamilton had it pretty good with the QEW bus in comparison.
The Hamilton QEW bus was amazing, especially back in the off-peak and pre-speed limiter days where the bus drivers would floor it and hit 120+ kph down the QEW.
You could depart Union at 10:00 p.m. and reach the first stop in Hamilton at 10:45. If you instead waited for the 10:13 GO train west to Aldershot, by 10:45 you would still only be leaving Clarkson on approach to Oakville station.

Last edited:
The Hamilton QEW bus was amazing, especially back in the off-peak and pre-speed limiter days where the bus drivers would floor it and hit 120+ kph down the QEW.
You could depart Union at 10:00 p.m. and reach the first stop in Hamilton at 10:45. If you instead waited for the 10:13 GO train west to Aldershot, by 10:45 you would still only be leaving Clarkson on approach to Oakville station.

Yeah. GO had a few infamous leadfoot bus operators!

When you say "below the brow" can you be more specific for those of us less familiar? The topography in that area is pretty challenging, and the sprawl severs a lot of potential options. Also, how does CP access Hamilton's industrial area and where does its intermodal yard near McMaster go?

View attachment 592697
CPKC descends "down the (escarpment) brow" just northwest of where it says "Vinemount" on your map, that strip of green, and completes the grade change by Centennial (Road 56 on your map).

A CPKC connection for Hamilton Harbour is a good point, exclusive service by CN would not bode well for the harbour lands. This would need running rights, or some nighttime running arrangement like Waterloo Central Railway does along the ION tracks in Waterloo.

Again, this is pie in the sky thinking.

Back