News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.6K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 533     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Most bicycle riders would be coming from the north. There isn’t any cycling infrastructure yet along Bramalea Road.

There are opportunities, though, to make changes. I wrote this five years ago, before the plans were revealed for the construction underway now, which does include a better bus loop.

That's the route I used to get to Bramalea City Centre from Bramalea GO a few weeks ago. There are some really nice bike paths on the other side of Avondale if you use the illegitimate path to get there.

Metrolinx is moving away from P3s now from my understanding for a lot of projects. There is talk that even a project the size of the Hamilton LRT is expected to be procured in multiple smaller contracts instead of a signle mega-P3. They shifted away from it on GO expansion too, breaking it down from one massive package into a bunch of smaller packages and one (still very large) primary package of work.

^Unless a sale is in the works, CN will insist on doing the project management on this…. Their line after all….at their pace and for a good fee. I’m OK with that because the work is right up their alley. The question is how much attention they will devote to this relative to other non-freight projects eg Hamilton-Stoney Creek

- Paul

This is not CN's Main Line to the US, the Niagara is now? They should sell if this promise is actually kept.

Correct that this is not CN's mainline.

But its not Niagara, either.

The South Main Line (really, the main line) is Halton Sub - Dundas Sub (Burlington-Aldershot-Brantford-London)

They move some traffic via Niagara, but most crosses into Michigan.

I rode my bike from Bramalea to Claireville Reservoir on Steeles back in 2018 and I happily rode on the sidewalk. Riding in mixed traffic with trucks doing 80+ was suicide.

I biked from Kitchener to Guelph via Hwy 24 once and i was riding on the tight shoulder. I still felt more safe then compared to riding on steeles.

I just visited the new station. Though I hate the amount of money being spent on parking garages, the new station will be a big improvement. There will be two fully accessible tunnels, providing necessary redundancy in case there’s a problem with an elevator.

The washrooms are separate from the service counter and are barrier free, a big improvement over the single-use lavatories. The new bus loop is under construction, but it will be a big improvement once completed, with a fully sheltered path between bus and train.

View attachment 348901.

As for the retail area, it’s on the far west side of the building, just enough space for a small news stand or Tim Hortons kiosk.

I know there’s a lot of food and amenities at BCC and there’s a ton of buses that connect between the two hubs frequently but having even just a Tims at the station would go a long way with making the experience better.

Because brampton is so car dependent, that size of a parking garage is understandable.

I am willing to give this overbuilt project a pass, it’s technically the terminus of the metro style portion of the line and a “Union Part 2” to all trains as they all stop here on the corridor. The bus terminal better include Zum and the airport express bus as well espcially the former because Humber/Sheridan students really get robbed out of the time it takes to walk to Steeles/Bramalea with crossing at the intersection to hopefully catch the bus that Brampton transit drivers never takes a second to wait for passengers. The garage could also be used for both Zum and the Airport riders so it does have its use in that case.

Back