News   May 03, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 682     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 309     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Heh, you think people would dare ride a bike in that part of Brampton? that's suicide.
I rode my bike from Bramalea to Claireville Reservoir on Steeles back in 2018 and I happily rode on the sidewalk. Riding in mixed traffic with trucks doing 80+ was suicide.

Yeah - I’m all for biking, but Steeles is a ton of industrial traffic, and cars traveling at 80+. I really can’t see this station as one someone would bike to.

Most bicycle riders would be coming from the north. There isn’t any cycling infrastructure yet along Bramalea Road.

There are opportunities, though, to make changes. I wrote this five years ago, before the plans were revealed for the construction underway now, which does include a better bus loop.

Yeah - I’m all for biking, but Steeles is a ton of industrial traffic, and cars traveling at 80+. I really can’t see this station as one someone would bike to.

It needs to be said, this can, and should be fixed.

Steeles here has an ROW over 40M!

That's room for 2 car lanes each way, a BRT lane each way, a left-hand turn lane, cycle tracks, 3M wide sidewalks, and a large tree-lined boulevard down each side.

Bramalea at 30M is smaller, but that's still a decent width, if you keep the road area at the current cross-section for car lanes (5), you still have room at least basic bike lanes, plus sidewalks and a boulevard.

That said, most businesses along Bramalea are setback enough to easily allow taking another 1-2M which would afford ample room for full Cycle Tracks.

That said, most businesses along Bramalea are setback enough to easily allow taking another 1-2M which would afford ample room for full Cycle Tracks.

Traffic is so awful in that area, and so much of it heavy trucks, that any bicycle track should be fully protected from auto incursions. This is indeed a very risky place for cycling, and half measures could backfire, by encouraging more riders into a high risk area. Needs to be done with full measures.

- Paul

Traffic is so awful in that area, and so much of it heavy trucks, that any bicycle track should be fully protected from auto incursions. This is indeed a very risky place for cycling, and half measures could backfire, by encouraging more riders into a high risk area. Needs to be done with full measures.

- Paul
In the suburbs, they have the space to put in separate, segregated bicycle/motorized wheelchair/e-bike trails (even sidewalks, oh the horror) leading to ALL GO stations. They have the funds available for weather protecting garages for motor vehicles, but lack the funds for bicycles and pedestrians.

It needs to be said, this can, and should be fixed.

Steeles here has an ROW over 40M!

That's room for 2 car lanes each way, a BRT lane each way, a left-hand turn lane, cycle tracks, 3M wide sidewalks, and a large tree-lined boulevard down each side.

Bramalea at 30M is smaller, but that's still a decent width, if you keep the road area at the current cross-section for car lanes (5), you still have room at least basic bike lanes, plus sidewalks and a boulevard.

There was some sort of reimaging Bramalea road that they were taking feedback for. Putting in bike lanes for parts of Bramalea road were some of the options. I don't know where they are with that now.

Some photos from today's opening of Bramalea's parking garage
20210913_143748.jpg
20210913_143707.jpg
20210913_143810.jpg
20210913_143752.jpg
20210913_143617.jpg
20210913_143701.jpg
20210913_143653.jpg
20210913_143430.jpg
20210913_144206.jpg
20210913_143425.jpg
20210913_143844.jpg

Attachments

• 20210913_143707.jpg
    20210913_143707.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 20210913_143445.jpg
    20210913_143445.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 116
No retail, fine.............but really, where are the vending machines?

There’s supposed to be a space for retail, and the old station building had a Gateway kiosk. I figure retail at suburban stations won’t return until ridership comes back.

I’m hoping that once the station is finished - with the new bus terminal completed - there will be vending machines too.

There’s supposed to be a space for retail, and the old station building had a Gateway kiosk. I figure retail at suburban stations won’t return until ridership comes back.

I’m hoping that once the station is finished - with the new bus terminal completed - there will be vending machines too.

So be it, on the retail; but really, we completely under-utilize vending machines.

Drinking fountains for water (free)

Vending machines (especially for cold beverages, or snacks make immense sense.)

Near zero labour costs (just stocking); and otherwise self-serve.

With essentially non-perishable product (pop, bottled juice, chips, crackers etc.) this should be damned near universal.

I just visited the new station. Though I hate the amount of money being spent on parking garages, the new station will be a big improvement. There will be two fully accessible tunnels, providing necessary redundancy in case there’s a problem with an elevator.

The washrooms are separate from the service counter and are barrier free, a big improvement over the single-use lavatories. The new bus loop is under construction, but it will be a big improvement once completed, with a fully sheltered path between bus and train.

4F0FE929-95AF-4C05-B0FB-4AE1D07ABF27.jpeg

As for the retail area, it’s on the far west side of the building, just enough space for a small news stand or Tim Hortons kiosk.

I just visited the new station. Though I hate the amount of money being spent on parking garages, the new station will be a big improvement. There will be two fully accessible tunnels, providing necessary redundancy in case there’s a problem with an elevator.

The washrooms are separate from the service counter and are barrier free, a big improvement over the single-use lavatories. The new bus loop is under construction, but it will be a big improvement once completed, with a fully sheltered path between bus and train.

View attachment 348901.

As for the retail area, it’s on the far west side of the building, just enough space for a small news stand or Tim Hortons kiosk.
Because brampton is so car dependent, that size of a parking garage is understandable.

Back