News   Apr 18, 2024
 279     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.9K     4 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Are they going to be any at-grade crossings in the GO network in 5 years?

The Stouffville Line north of Unionville will still cross many major arterials at grade. I read somewhere that a rail-under-road crossing could be considered for the very busy Highway 7 crossing, which I would assume would also include Main Street Unionville and Kennedy and minimize impact on the heritage area, and moving on there's a very busy McCowan crossing, another at Main Street Markham, and so on.

I'm sure the Kitchener line west of Georgetown will have them for a long time to come yet.
At a cost of $10-$30 Million each, not cheap and will take decades to do them.

I don't think anything is being done on the at-grade crossings north of Major Mack on the Barrie Line.
There's plans for McNaughton and Wellington, but besides that there's not much point in separating crossings with minimal traffic. Plus two-way service won't be any further north than Wellington, IIRC.

Would all this not be required to speed up and increase frequencies? I would think 2030 would be the goal....
No, as some of the cost is being pickup by Region, cities and RR, but not require for every crossing at this time with light traffic. 2030 is not achievable due to cost and man power, let alone 15 minute service. Some crossing will only see hourly service. So cities/regions don't have plans and funds in place to do the 2030 time frame and not even by 2040. Oakville Kerr St was to be grade separated a decade ago and believe it may start 2021 before COVID-19 Mess.

Grade separation will allow fast speed some what, but its all the infrastructure that will say X speed max. Guelph is a good example of slow speed once the system is fully rebuilt, as where it runs through. Other lines have weak spots as well.

Where do you put money into that benefit everyone over time?? You can take all funding for the next 10 and put it into infrastructure that will increase speed, but where is the funds for increasing service???

GO has something like 150 at grade crossings in it's network. I believe it's in the process of removing about 20 of them.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Niagara extension alone adds at least another 20 anyway.

Grade crossings aren't going anywhere, though they are becoming much less common on the high frequency portions of the network.

Hourly two-way service will go to Barrie, it's the 15-minute service that will terminate at Aurora.
In off-peak, there will be 30 mins service to/from Barrie, plus 15 mins service to/from Aurora.
20181206_BoardMtg_GO_Expansion_Full_Business_Case.PDF copy.jpg

Last edited:
Sure hope that car was tow and no reason for it been there since the lot is 95% empty other than stolen or the person was too drunk in the first place.

That 2nd track been there well over a year and need to look at my photos to see when it went in.

^ I meant that the 2nd track work continues because looking that the picture it's not complete for this portion yet.

Back