News   May 03, 2024
 958     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 589     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 281     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Hopefully Metrolinx is using this time to speed up much-needed rail maintenance & modifications for the era when GO service increases again. It is a rare opportunity that they might as well take advantage of, if possible.

20200606_231733.jpg

Great to see. Looks like the mini-double deckers can fit in there.

Anyone remember what the final word was for the Bay/Dundas bus terminal? Was it moving down here?
There hasn't been an official word but it is more or less expected. GO's bus trip count to Union is actually on decline because of the recent increases in rail service, a lot of mid-day trips have been cut. This gives a lot more space to inter-regional buses, especially in the next few years as GO bus service continues to decline.

That is if inter-regional bus services can survive COVID.

There hasn't been an official word but it is more or less expected. GO's bus trip count to Union is actually on decline because of the recent increases in rail service, a lot of mid-day trips have been cut. This gives a lot more space to inter-regional buses, especially in the next few years as GO bus service continues to decline.

That is if inter-regional bus services can survive COVID.

Pretty sure they can. There will always be demand for inter-regional travel, and VIA is in no state to be able to supply such demand

Anyone remember what the final word was for the Bay/Dundas bus terminal? Was it moving down here?

That would be dependent on what the TTC wants to do with it. And considering that they don't seem interested in selling the properties at this time, it would seem that they want to keep it around at least for the foreseeable future.

Dan

That would be dependent on what the TTC wants to do with it. And considering that they don't seem interested in selling the properties at this time, it would seem that they want to keep it around at least for the foreseeable future.

Dan
I believe I remember seeing the property on the phase 2 list of housing now sites.

The business case for Park Lawn says their ridership numbers are based on the fare integration with TTC that is no longer there. Either it's outdated or they know something we don't.

The business case for Park Lawn says their ridership numbers are based on the fare integration with TTC that is no longer there. Either it's outdated or they know something we don't.
Just because fate integration isn't currently on the radar that doesn't mean it won't happen. The government is spending many billions of dollars building what is essentially subways in the GO corridors. Fate integration is essential to get the most out of that investment.

Just because fate integration isn't currently on the radar that doesn't mean it won't happen. The government is spending many billions of dollars building what is essentially subways in the GO corridors. Fate integration is essential to get the most out of that investment.
I don't disagree, but it doesn't really answer my question. We all know it makes sense and should come back, do they (Metrolinx) know it's coming back for sure?!

I don't disagree, but it doesn't really answer my question. We all know it makes sense and should come back, do they (Metrolinx) know it's coming back for sure?!
The report is as of April of 2020. That's at least a few weeks after Ford cancelled the fare integration. It's possible Metrolinx knows something we don't but I wouldn't hold my breath yet.

2.4. Fare Integration Two scenarios related to the 2018 discounted double discounted fare program for trips using both GO and TTC have been considered. The business as usual scenario (BAU Fare) assumes the 2018 double discounted fare ($1.50) for users transferring between GO and TTC while the Integrated Fare scenario assumes a full discount for riders transferring between GO to TTC. The integrated fare scenario assumes a future state where customers move seamlessly between services and do not need to worry about the operator of the bus or train that gets them to where they need to go within the city; consistent with the vision of the Metrolinx 2041 Regional Transportation Plan (RTP).

It's mentioned in the IBC 2020 that fare integration is part of the Metrolinx 2041 plan. So Metrolinx probably believes(hopes?) that they will be able to implement it eventually. Note this is referring to complete fair integration, not the $1.50 discount.

Just because fate integration isn't currently on the radar that doesn't mean it won't happen.

Indeed. The concept of transferring off GO to the Union Relief line (aka Ontario Line) implies some type of strong fare integration is in their 10 year plan; even if only at a few locations.

Back