News   Mar 28, 2024
 640     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 453     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 776     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

^Financial close for the Oncorr RFP is shown as 2021 - that puts a timeline to some of the things that ML hasn't already advanced as separate projects. If there are major procurements to be made by the successful bidder, (electrification is just one example, switchgear is a long lead time item) these procurements won't be started until late 2021 at best.

- Paul

^ Interesting that $100M-$199M is estimated for the Milton Line but only $4M was shown in the June 2019 Metrolinx Capital Projects Group report. The September 2019 report changed the format for the chart. Also, I assume the Lakeshore East and West numbers are lower in this IO document compared to the June 2019 Metrolinx Capital Projects Group report because of things being taken out like the 4th track from the Don River to Guildwood and the 3rd track from Guildwood to Durham Junction? Steve Munro mentioned this in an August 22nd post here.

Major change taking place at Cooksville GO Station on Sept 16 and going to piss off a lot of people. See the Cooksville thread for full detail

Can someone please explain to me how they expect hurontario to be completed by 2022?
It would be the end of 2022 at the earliest, but most likely early 2023. Unless you are working 7/24/365, going to be hard to make 2022. Eglinton Ave between DVP and Kennedy Rd is a good example what will happen to Hurontario as well how long it will take.

You got one underground station to be built, an elevated section for Sq One Station that will take longer to built than the guideway. Then there is the maintenance complex that needs to be built. The big issue will be when testing of the LRV's can start, let alone operating on a plan schedule for opening day for a few weeks.

There's a 0% chance Hurontario will be complete by 2022. People underestimate how complex the Hurontario LRT will be. The earliest i see it being completed is late 2023 (if shovels are on the ground by early 2020). More realistically, I see it dragging into early 2024.

I expect Metrolinx will be busy announcing delays to both the Eglinton and Hurontario LRTs in the near future.

Just look at how long it's taking to build the Viva lanes in York Region. These are much simpler road expansions without any rail installations and it's taken them 3-4 years to complete each project once construction actually starts. I also agree that the Eglinton Crosstown will not be open for business by September 2021. I'd expect at least 1-2 year delay. Hoping it opens in 2022 (which is 3 years later than originally planned - it was supposed to open this year).

There's a 0% chance Hurontario will be complete by 2022. People underestimate how complex the Hurontario LRT will be. The earliest i see it being completed is late 2023 (if shovels are on the ground by early 2020). More realistically, I see it dragging into early 2024.

I expect Metrolinx will be busy announcing delays to both the Eglinton and Hurontario LRTs in the near future.
I maybe wrong, 36 intersections will be partly to full closure to build the tracks across them. Some intersections have to be partly close as they are major cross roads as well off ramp for QEW/403/401. This is on top of what I post. Then building tracks over the 401/407. South of the QEW has to be widen.

Until the contact is sign by both parties, only then will we know the real opening date since the contractor will be call the date, not ML Given how late it is in the 2019, 2023/2024 are real opening dates.

Some pictures of construction at bramalea go today.
20190911_183741.jpg
20190911_183958.jpg
20190911_182938.jpg
20190911_182936.jpg
20190911_183502.jpg
20190911_183456.jpg

Update on Bloomington GO station (with photos):
New GO station blooms from soggy ground in Richmond Hill
I usually try to see through some of the shenanigans ML does but this really is a massive waste and vanity project for a single track rush hour only service.
The size of this station rivals the terminus for LSE and W yet has little to no usage. At least back this thing up with double track and all day 2way service! hell it doesnt even have fully covered platforms!

Update on Bloomington GO station (with photos):
New GO station blooms from soggy ground in Richmond Hill

Located on the southwest section of Highway 404 and Bloomington Road, the station will boast a full slate of customer amenities: bus loop, more surface parking, accessible parking, pick-up and drop-off area, seamless integration with York Region Transit, platforms with shelters from the elements, customer ticket and waiting areas, and retail space.
What YRT routes will be using the bus terminal? Also, it’s funny they say this but don’t apply the same logic for Gormley GO.

I usually try to see through some of the shenanigans ML does but this really is a massive waste and vanity project for a single track rush hour only service.
The size of this station rivals the terminus for LSE and W yet has little to no usage. At least back this thing up with double track and all day 2way service! hell it doesnt even have fully covered platforms!
I wouldn't be so certain of that claim, Aldershot sees 2.5K boardings per day (*2) and Gormley sees 700 (*2), and Gormley doesn't have weekend service. Bloomington will certainly be a ghost town when the Richmond Hill trains aren't running, however, since it will likely have 2-3* the number of passengers as Gormley after maturation, the station will be very well used when it is used. Peak capacities count, and the unfortunate reality of stations on the Richmond Hill line is the fact that all passengers using it are concentrated to the few peak trains that run along it during the few peak hours when the line is running. Since a good portion of Aldershot's ridership comes from trains that don't run during peak hours, it doesn't need the capacity that a station like Bloomington might need.

More perspective: given the ridership numbers, and if we assume all departing passengers are on morning peak trains, the number of riders/train (and therefore, platform/station space required) is as follows:

(Passengers / # trains between 6:00 and 8:15)
Aldershot — 2,600 passengers / 9 trains = 288.88 passengers/train
Burlington — 3,000 / 11 = 272.72
Oshawa — 3,500 / 11= 318.18
Gormley — 705 / 5 = 141
Bloomington (Low) —1000 / 6 = 166.66
Bloomington (Likely) — 1500 / 6 = 250
Bloomington (High) — 2100 / 6 = 350

And these numbers are assuming Bloomington gets 6 trains (the current schedule has 5 trains to Gormley).

I'm not going to fully defend the PC's, but I think some of the re-evaluating that they are imposing on Metrolinx for new builds and station redevelopments is to eliminate some of these Taj Mahal stations that were being built under the previous administration.

Heavy equipment, piles of ballast on and around the Roger's Rd bridge on the Barrie corridor. Hopefully part of the Barrie corridor expansion contract that was awarded in April.
Also noticed some work beginning in front of the No Frills at Lansdowne, including some ballast.

Back