News   Jul 02, 2024
 501     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 1.9K     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 656     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I dislike Metrolinx’ “good news only” comms strategy but I don’t see what difference it makes to their effectiveness. Unless we think they are scanning forums like these for ideas to get them out of holes they dug themselves?

Organizations that have this latitude to bury problemsand rewrite their commitments inevitably develop a disfunctional culture where problems are not candidly raised, discussed, analysed, and corrected.
Metrolinx is well down this road.
If the original version (take your pick) were documented as a "commitment", there would have been more accountability around scope and scope creep. Perhaps some of the iterations might not have been worked on. Perhaps more would have moved to execution. Perhaps wasteful redesign would have been avoided.
LSE is a good example of "ready, aim, aim, aim, aim....." paralysis - that's not indicative of an effective, results focussed organization.

- Paul

@Allandale25 posted this clip of the Mx Board Meeting elsewhere:

I'm not sure what's been reported out on timelines elsewhere and as a few are mentioned, I'm not going to search them all out.

But I made these notes:

1) Caledonia Station (Barrie GO) on target to start construction by year's end, with an in-service date of 3-4 years given.

2) Maple GO targeted for full-return of normal operations by Spring' 25

3) For Stouffville GO Line, there will be a major closure in July (this month) to upgrade signals at 5 at-grade crossings. New track near McNicoll has been commissioned.

There was a rather vague statement about a third and final commissioning phase for tracks works 'in the southern area, close to Scarborough Junction' (his words). That would be 'later this year'.

That would seem to suggest that the full twin track operation will be possible by late this year. @crs1026 may wish to listen to that bit at roughly 45:35 of the video.

^ There were also some remarks about the sidings at Guelph and Acton. Nothing on the 'hole in the donut' as the late and sometimes spicy TOAreaFan used to say, aka Bramalea-Georgetown.

@Allandale25 posted this clip of the Mx Board Meeting elsewhere:

1) Caledonia Station (Barrie GO) on target to start construction by year's end, with an in-service date of 3-4 years given.

Good to see this actually out to tender, as it was announced quite a while ago now.

2) Maple GO targeted for full-return of normal operations by Spring' 25

Normal operations meaning, the original main track platform restored to full operability, but..... what about the second platform and track that's new? Nothing said about progress towards double tracking the line.

3) For Stouffville GO Line, there will be a major closure in July (this month) to upgrade signals at 5 at-grade crossings.

Which again does not mean any new track has been placed in service.

New track near McNicoll has been commissioned.

This removed a diversion that was needed during construction of the two-platform layout at Milliken. So now the original platform and first track at Milliken is fully operational in its final alignment.....and the second platform has track.....but.....without the bridge at West Highland Creek, the second track remains inoperable, as are the second platforms at both Milliken and Agincourt.

There was a rather vague statement about a third and final commissioning phase for tracks works 'in the southern area, close to Scarborough Junction' (his words). That would be 'later this year'.

Possibly completing the crossovers at Progress Road that will allow the (built but long sitting idle) second track from there south to Kennedy to finally go into action. Last time I looked, there was absolutely no construction between Kennedy and Scarborough Jct.... that will be single track for a while yet.

In summary, while there is lots of construction happening out there, this is mostly stuff that's off critical path. Nice that it's all getting done but nothing to declare victory over just yet.

- Paul

Back