News   Jun 27, 2024
 379     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 682     1 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 438     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Agree with you 100%. There are things we can do to improve the speed on the southern Richmond Hill Corridor, such as banking the curves.

Today, Oriole (roughly Sheppard) to Union is 34 mins on the RH GO Line. It’s about 26 mins from Sheppard-Yonge to Union via TTC Line 1, and 39 minutes from Line 4 Leslie station to Union via Line 1. Obviously speeding up GO service is important, but new stations at transit deserts like York Mills and Leslie could be served with better RH GO service.
While a faint hope, I still like the possibility of a station being added across the Don from East Harbour too.

Agree with you 100%. There are things we can do to improve the speed on the southern Richmond Hill Corridor, such as banking the curves.

Today, Oriole (roughly Sheppard) to Union is 34 mins on the RH GO Line. It’s about 26 mins from Sheppard-Yonge to Union via TTC Line 1, and 39 minutes from Line 4 Leslie station to Union via Line 1. Obviously speeding up GO service is important, but new stations at transit deserts like York Mills and Leslie could be served with better RH GO service.
Even with the current speeds, if they could up frequency I'd take the slower line every time! It's 1000x a better experience than switching trains and likely taking a bus and probably standing nearly the whole trip

Looks like the twin tracking of the Barrie line hasn't gone passed Aurora as of yet. Work has not yet started on any of the crossings north of the station.

June 24, 2024
20240624_133145.jpg

20240624_133115.jpg

20240624_133525.jpg

20240624_133540.jpg

20240624_133658.jpg

20240624_134021.jpg

Attachments

• 20240624_133648.jpg
    20240624_133648.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240624_134151.jpg
    20240624_134151.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 11
Looks like the twin tracking of the Barrie line hasn't gone passed Aurora as of yet. Work has not yet started on any of the crossings north of the station.

There won't be any double track north of Aurora. It won't be needed as the headways north of Aurora will be hourly - just passing sidings are needed for that..

- Paul

A bit of a paper promise imho
Speaking of...

Oh... I already asked (email)...

After some back and forth, I got a non-answer about the LSE Express trains; essentially, they don't have a schedule.

I find it quite frustrating the way they don't really read your messages (this message below after we discussed I wasn't looking for reasons why there is no express service, but looking for approximate return of service date); here is the response, the only important detail underlined in red:

1719402562129.png

Speaking of...

After some back and forth, I got a non-answer about the LSE Express trains; essentially, they don't have a schedule.

I find it quite frustrating the way they don't really read your messages (this message below after we discussed I wasn't looking for reasons why there is no express service, but looking for approximate return of service date); here is the response, the only important detail underlined in red:

View attachment 575688

I appreciate you taking the time to try to elicit meaningful information, and then sharing................ even if the result, in this case, was someone sending you this useless pablum.

Speaking of...

View attachment 575688
I mean they still havent rebuilt the southern half of the bridges. I dont see how they can get the 3rd track in before 2026 at least. Theyre at least a year and a half behind

I mean they still havent rebuilt the southern half of the bridges. I dont see how they can get the 3rd track in before 2026 at least. Theyre at least a year and a half behind
I don't see how they can be 18 months behind. I don't think the contract was even awarded that long ago! And in my opinion, the speed they've been moving with construction along the shared corridor is very impressive.

Speaking of...

View attachment 575688
In some cases it is impossible to give a timeframe when X will be ready as there a number of unknowns as well providing a timeframe that may slip a number of time. Crosstown is a good example of slipping timeframe to the point there isn't one now.

I cannot speak to the corridor from Queen to Pape since I haven't seen it first hand and do understand what is taking place there from my experiences been on railway sites in the work zone when work is taking place. I can speak to the area between Queen and the Don as I have seen it first had a number of time.

You will not see any express trains in this area until mid to late 2025 with safety being the number reason since it is more rigid than construction sites. All work next to a live track has to be shut down with equipment moved away from the track with workers been well clear of the tracks.

You have both the Stouffville Line and the Lakeshore E line running service through this area every 15 minutes per line that there is a train passing the area about every 4 minutes on one of the 2 tracks

A new east retaining wall is being built as well the rebuilding of the eastside bridge leaving only 2 steel bridges in place at this time, It looks like they are building a 2nd bridge next to Eastern one as it is too hard to get a real up close look at it. Once all the backfill with grading and installing 2 tracks, I expect the current 2 will be taken out of service to allow either the rebuilding of the 2 steel bridges or they will be replace to match the new bridge. The tracks will be upgraded if they haven been done already.

Work on the other bridges various from bridge to bridge with safety being #1 again.

End of the day, there is a schedule when things are to be completed, but things happen to the point ML has stop saying what that date things will be completed due to the backlash from the public and media when those dates don't happen. This is one case where I do support ML doing this which is rare.

In some cases it is impossible to give a timeframe when X will be ready as there a number of unknowns as well providing a timeframe that may slip a number of time.
As a former project manager, I'm well aware of unknowns (risks); but that is no excuse for not having estimates and communicating slippage to your customers (the public). Metrolinx has failed to do so on a few projects, and now all we get is silence. It leaves an impression of poor management, and thoughts of wasteful spending come to mind...Is there any accountability?

Crosstown is a good example of slipping timeframe to the point there isn't one now.
The project has gone so poorly the (project) managers have lost control and refuse to commit to any sort of completion (or at least this is the impression they are now giving).

End of the day, there is a schedule when things are to be completed, but things happen to the point ML has stop saying what that date things will be completed due to the backlash from the public and media when those dates don't happen. This is one case where I do support ML doing this which is rare.
Strong disagree. If Metrolinx cannot be held to account, then someone else should fill the role. Answering questions about why the project is overbudget/overtime is part of the job. I am fine with projects going over if it is communicated and explained within reason, and I would guess the public may accept too... Refusing to communicate is not a good look.

You stop communicating to your stakeholders, you loose faith and confidence from others. Metrolinx is certainly living up to that standard as of late.

As a former project manager, I'm well aware of unknowns (risks); but that is no excuse for not having estimates and communicating slippage to your customers (the public). Metrolinx has failed to do so on a few projects, and now all we get is silence. It leaves an impression of poor management, and thoughts of wasteful spending come to mind...Is there any accountability?

The project has gone so poorly the (project) managers have lost control and refuse to commit to any sort of completion (or at least this is the impression they are now giving).

Strong disagree. If Metrolinx cannot be held to account, then someone else should fill the role. Answering questions about why the project is overbudget/overtime is part of the job. I am fine with projects going over if it is communicated and explained within reason, and I would guess the public may accept too... Refusing to communicate is not a good look.

You stop communicating to your stakeholders, you loose faith and confidence from others. Metrolinx is certainly living up to that standard as of late.
Right now, ML lost faith with the public in 2010 starting with management and has gone hills more since then. It lost faith with me ML in 2007 on all fronts.

ML has lost control of most projects that they are afraid of their shadows giving dates these days why they have stop doing it. There been no update on the Hurontario Line that it is close to being delay 2 years today as well no word when the 2 extension will happen as well the cost to do them. Then there is Hamilton LRT still waiting for a go.

The RER project is well off schedule as it been control my Ford who most likely has told ML not to release timelines or dates to the public since there is an election coming and doesn't want those dates to be used against him.

Accountability is an unknown word within ML and the Ford Government along with lack of communications regardless if it is bad. What is a billion here and a few more billion there for overprice projects as well what should happen in the first place as there are shovels in the ground doing X project than the talk of doing it some day is Ford thinking.

Last edited:

Back