News   May 17, 2024
 3K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Fixing that is not cheap, but I wonder why GO can't plan to do better in this respect.

- Paul

In a lot of cases, because it's not cheap and will likely require more work than its worth.

First off is property requirements - in a lot of cases, additional property will need to be purchased in order to allow for the corridor to be expanded.

As well, there may be geometry constraints as well. This is certainly the case at Long Branch, where there is a 60mph PSO on the south track because of the curve to the west as well as the reverse curves to the east of the station. And this will be the case with the new four-track version of Danforth Station, where they are planning on moving the platforms about 500 feet east in order to improve the geometry through the Main Street bridge.

After those two points, you then have to think about the construction staging and even staffing. Railroad construction away from active lines can easily be done by non-railway-qualified personnel - that's why they've put up the barriers along the tracks for the Davenport Diamond construction. But a platform widening will frequently be within the active corridor, and thus require more specialized staff - and with that staff comes a cost premium. It may just not be worth the cost for the several locations that need to be done.

Dan

In a lot of cases, because it's not cheap and will likely require more work than its worth.

All good points, and I don't argue that cost would be very very high, for the reasons you mention.

Pre-COVID, waiting for a LSW train at Long Branch during morning rush was pretty scary - not for my safety, I will be watching for trains - but the clearances and crowding generally do not encourage standing well back, it's hard to stand back from both tracks if the island is narrow. People instinctively stand back from the arriving train they intend to board, but if the express is simultaneously passing on the other side of the island, it may be neither seen nor heard.....

I don't have data on how many non-suicidal people have been struck on GO platforms by trains, but it strikes me the number is non-zero. There ought to be some consistency in approach between rail platform safety and Vision Zero road safety. Imagine saying in a Vision Zero forum "it's the pedestrian's problem if they don't stand behind the yellow line"..... that shouldn't be the party line for Metrolinx. That's an institutional mindset.

Yes, it's expensive, but not moreso than what is being spent to improve road/pedestrian/cyclist safety, and likely for similar risk/exposure math.

- Paul

Last edited:
All good points, and I don't argue that cost would be very very high, for the reasons you mention.

Pre-COVID, waiting for a LSW train at Long Branch during morning rush was pretty scary - not for my safety, I will be watching for trains - but the clearances and crowding generally do not encourage standing well back, it's hard to stand back from both tracks if the island is narrow. People instinctively stand back from the arriving train they intend to board, but if the express is simultaneously passing on the other side of the island, it may be neither seen nor heard.....

I don't have data on how many people have been struck on GO platforms by trains, but it strikes me the number is non-zero. There ought to be some consistency in approach between rail platform safety and Vision Zero road safety. Imagine saying in a Vision Zero forum "it's the pedestrian's problem if they don't stand behind the yellow line"..... that shouldn't be the party line for Metrolinx. That's an institutional mindset.

Yes, it's expensive, but not moreso than what is being spent to improve road/pedestrian/cyclist safety, and likely for similar risk/exposure math.

- Paul
What do you mean? How is not their fault for not standing behind the yellow line? Are they supposed to stand on the tracks? 😂😂😂

What do you mean? How is not their fault for not standing behind the yellow line? Are they supposed to stand on the tracks? 😂😂😂
Sure, it might be their fault, but not everyone is careful all the time. Besides, if the platform is crowded, there might not enough be enough space on a narrow platform. If the platform is narrow and there is a crowd, it's not too hard to imagine somebody standing closer to the platform edge to have some space. Or maybe someone has hearing issues and doesn't notice the train coming.

Blaming people is not a solution, taking steps to reduce the chance of death or injury is. imo, widening platforms at busier stations is probably a good idea, not just for safety but also to improve the passenger experience, have more space for seating, reduce dwell times, improve capacity, etc., though probably not worth it at very low ridership stations or stations that have special conditions (like lack of space) making widening platforms very expensive.

Some GO construction related updates here from a City staff report here: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2020.EX18.3

20201125_201326.jpg

Via Ana Bailao on Facebook.....

1319 Bloor Street West - Online Community Meeting
You’re invited to an Online Community Meeting about a proposed development at 1319 Bloor Street West. The site is currently occupied by a Value Village store and surface parking lot.

KingSett Capital is excited to hear your thoughts about our proposal to reimagine the site as a new mixed-use, transit-oriented development.

The proposed development will include:

The new planned Bloor-Lansdowne GO station entrance
A mixed-use building, consisting of two residential towers (31 and 33 storeys) and ground level retail space fronting onto Bloor Street West
A public park and POPS (privately owned publicly accessible space)
A pedestrian walkway linking St. Helen’s Avenue to the planned Bloor-Lansdowne GO Station platform and multi-use path
A planning application has not yet been submitted to the City of Toronto for their review, and we are looking forward to doing so in the coming weeks.

This online community meeting will include a presentation by members of the Project Team followed by a Question & Answer session. Deputy Mayor Ana Bailão and City Planning Staff will be in attendance.

We welcome you to send your questions in advance to consultation@bousfields.ca (Subject Line: 1319 Bloor St W).

View attachment 285195View attachment 285196

I’m wondering if the development at 1319 Bloor-Street West means that Bloor-Lansdowne GO on the Barrie Line will be moving forward soon?

Speaking specifically about Long Branch Station....

There was an incident last fall where someone was walking along the platform and had their purse removed by a VIA train passing through at speed. Amazingly, there were no injuries.

That is WAY too close for comfort, and only reinforces Paul's points.

Dan

Speaking specifically about Long Branch Station....

There was an incident last fall where someone was walking along the platform and had their purse removed by a VIA train passing through at speed. Amazingly, there were no injuries.

That is WAY too close for comfort, and only reinforces Paul's points.

Dan
Wow, that's a really shocking story. Also, Union Station is a big priority because the platforms are dangerously narrow. I'm glad that MX is moving forward with the enhancement project.

Back