News   Jul 09, 2024
 838     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 623     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Can you give some examples? I don't see much added details in the roll plans.

Double track from Aurora up to Newmarket! I am pumped.

newm.png

And a paradoxical redo of Halwest, where despite adding a third track, GO would still be limited to one train through it at a time, without impacting CN?

halw.png

And a paradoxical redo of Halwest, where despite adding a third track, GO would still be limited to one train through it at a time, without impacting CN?

View attachment 285536

It is amazing to me that GO - way back when - was the one who suggested to CN that paralleling crossovers can be used in placed to allow opposing maneuvers to pass each other without interfering. Most famously into the pocket track at Pickering and allowing freights to access the York Sub, of all places.

It's like they've forgotten their collective history. Oh wait....

Dan

View attachment 285536

It is amazing to me that GO - way back when - was the one who suggested to CN that paralleling crossovers can be used in placed to allow opposing maneuvers to pass each other without interfering. Most famously into the pocket track at Pickering and allowing freights to access the York Sub, of all places.

It's like they've forgotten their collective history. Oh wait....

Dan

@ack good point. I was wondering why they didn't just continue the third track through this short stretch. Then I zoomed in and noticed that there appears to be a key CN Rail siding for a customer on the south side for this location. I believe this siding is for airport jet fuel? So I guess CN wants quick access to the middle track that starts further to the east? Was "paralleling crossovers" the suggestion for this location @smallspy ?

1606578439207.png

1606578617780.png

Attachments

• 1606578455917.png
    1606578455917.png
    644.9 KB · Views: 185
Why won't the Milton & Richmond Hill Lines be fully electrified? And why are the Lakeshore West & Kitchener Lines partially electrified? Why would they cut costs if this is a >$10 billion project?
Reason 1) CN Rail
Reason 2) CP Rail

CN Rail owns the section of track beyond Bramalea, Old Cummer, and Burlington, and CP Rail owns basically the entirety of the Milton Line, and the sub leading to Hamilton GO Centre, and neither of those 2 companies want any wires dangling over their tracks. Electrifying these corridors would require building new tracks along these corridors in the limited space available as well as purchasing a ton of land from these companies, which while its hinted that its something Metrolinx is considering doing as shown by some of their regional maps, isn't something they're going to do in the initial GO Expansion project. Every section of every line that Metrolinx owns will be electrified however (except Richmond Hill but that's because Metrolinx thinks electrifying that section isn't worth it and rightfully so).

Why won't the Milton & Richmond Hill Lines be fully electrified? And why are the Lakeshore West & Kitchener Lines partially electrified? Why would they cut costs if this is a >$10 billion project?
That partial electrification was always the plan. Shame the missing link never panned out.

Reason 1) CN Rail
Reason 2) CP Rail

CN Rail owns the section of track beyond Bramalea, Old Cummer, and Burlington, and CP Rail owns basically the entirety of the Milton Line, and the sub leading to Hamilton GO Centre, and neither of those 2 companies want any wires dangling over their tracks. Electrifying these corridors would require building new tracks along these corridors in the limited space available as well as purchasing a ton of land from these companies, which while its hinted that its something Metrolinx is considering doing as shown by some of their regional maps, isn't something they're going to do in the initial GO Expansion project. Every section of every line that Metrolinx owns will be electrified however (except Richmond Hill but that's because Metrolinx thinks electrifying that section isn't worth it and rightfully so).
Thanks for the explanation! I was wondering why CN and CP doesn't like wires above their tracks. Is it really a safety issue or was it just a random decision?

Back