News   Apr 22, 2024
 787     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 265     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 670     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I've always found this amusing, as while Metrolinx with all sorts of additional-cost "extras" - larger door windows, powered end doors, additional exterior lighting, etc. - the powered ramps are the one thing that they've not ticked the box on.

Just out of curiosity, how much bigger are the GO door windows compared to the other models?

I read the document as simply clarifying the scope of the previous cutback.

The station was probably oversize, per previous ML habit, but the description of the track work is the telling piece. There won’t be much service if the new track isn’t added. EDIT: The inference is that CN will (eventually) deliver two new tracks, so it’s just the station itself that is being descoped.

- Paul
I believe the previous de-scoping was the elimination of the transit station building, but this is the first I've heard of the south parking lot being eliminated. The Metrolinx website on the station states that it will add only 150 parking spaces, so that seems to indicate the south lot was cut a while ago as well however.

My interpretation of that procurement is that CN will install the two new tracks immediately following the completion of the GO station. So not cut, just not in the contractors scope.

For instance, there is a standard - colloquially known as the "Western Standard" - which allows for almost-floor level loading of the bottom level of a Superliner/California/Surfliner car. This standard is 15" above the top of rail. As well, the FRA allows for alternative heights to any of the standards in specific cases should certain criteria be met - and it is under this that Utah's Frontrunner has built ~22" high platforms that allow for level loading with the floor of their BiLevel coaches.

As for adjustable gap fillers on the equipment, most of the Bombardier BiLevel cars built for the US market in the past 10 or 15 years have been fitted with powered ramps/gap fillers to meet their accessibility requirements. (Most US properties running BiLevels use more-or-less the same accessible ramp design as was pioneered in Toronto.) I've always found this amusing, as while Metrolinx with all sorts of additional-cost "extras" - larger door windows, powered end doors, additional exterior lighting, etc. - the powered ramps are the one thing that they've not ticked the box on.
Do any of the existing powered ramps for the BiLevel accommodate both level boarding and a step?

I'm familiar with the level-only powered ramps. Here are some shots of gap fillers on local trains here in the Netherlands:
But these designs wouldn't support ground-level platforms.

Do any of the existing powered ramps for the BiLevel accommodate both level boarding and a step?

I'm familiar with the level-only powered ramps. Here are some shots of gap fillers on local trains here in the Netherlands:
But these designs wouldn't support ground-level platforms.
I have seen ground level gap slide out ramp in Europe for both single and double deck trains. There are photos up on my site of them back in 2012.

The more I see the trains from other countries, the more ugly GO trains appear.
Compared to the United States, our commuter trains look pretty good in comparison. For example, the newer Multi levels on NJ Transit look like trains from the 70s IMHO.

1605149577389.png

Can we order those bombardiers that they use in London?

Leave US aside. They are as bad as Canada.

Caltrain at least has better livery for the same trains.

Caltrain

Ride a Caltrain GO-style bilevel and you will never say a bad word about GO again.. Theirs are badly maintained and shabby. GO has refurbished its fleet in proper condition. Not everybody does that.

- Paul

I have seen ground level gap slide out ramp in Europe for both single and double deck trains. There are photos up on my site of them back in 2012.

Okay, but there are no Bombardier BiLevels in Europe. My question was whether or not Bombardier has a kit available for their BiLevel product line, or whether they still need to design one.

Okay, but there are no Bombardier BiLevels in Europe. My question was whether or not Bombardier has a kit available for their BiLevel product line, or whether they still need to design one.
I could be wrong but I don't think they have a kit and needed to design one. As noted, could be a waste of time and money based on a new fleet that could replace the current ones.

Back