News   Jul 09, 2024
 772     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 607     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Use the half-mile bridge into the Don Valley.

I believe Metrolinx is reserving the corridor for if they ever upgrade the Richmond Hill Line to RER, but that's not exactly a priority.

You mean reserving Don Branch?

So far as I know the City of Toronto owns the Leaside spur on which there is now a trail.

On the Stouffville Line north of Kennedy Station at the crossing leading to Tara Ave. some kind of wall and box under the ties has been constructed. I was wondering if the pedestrian bridge will be replaced at some point and this is the pre-work. However, I didn’t find anything about it.
Can anyone give more details what is done here? Thank you very much.
1EFA9E81-3F05-4296-BB53-20FEB1EEB3A7.jpeg
1EFA9E81-3F05-4296-BB53-20FEB1EEB3A7.jpeg

It's unfortunate that Metrolinx is replacing the pedestrian bridges "like for like" considering that the Mooregate/Tara bridge currently represents the main missing link along the Gatineau Hydro Corridor bicycle route. With a bicycle-friendly crossing, it would become the first continuous safe bicycle route across Scarborough. Once currently-planned work is completed, it will form a continuous bike route from downtown to the zoo accessible to everyone regardless of age or ability, except for this bridge which will be a big trek up and down.

Blue is bicycle paths or multi-use trails,
Green is bike lanes
Turquoise is signed bike routes along quiet residential streets

Capture.JPG

Ride a Caltrain GO-style bilevel and you will never say a bad word about GO again.. Theirs are badly maintained and shabby. GO has refurbished its fleet in proper condition. Not everybody does that.

- Paul
Maintenance has nothing to do with colour scheme. Well maintained train will still look ugly if the colour scheme is ugly and the design of the trains is ugly.

The new rail they laid in this particular section was sinking, they ripped it out and tried to shore it up with steel beams to no avail. This is their latest idea to try and keep the rail and ballast from sinking.

On the Stouffville Line north of Kennedy Station at the crossing leading to Tara Ave. some kind of wall and box under the ties has been constructed. I was wondering if the pedestrian bridge will be replaced at some point and this is the pre-work. However, I didn’t find anything about it.
Can anyone give more details what is done here? Thank you very much.
View attachment 282617View attachment 282617

The new rail they laid in this particular section was sinking, they ripped it out and tried to shore it up with steel beams to no avail. This is their latest idea to try and keep the rail and ballast from sinking.

@smallspy any insight on this?

It's unfortunate that Metrolinx is replacing the pedestrian bridges "like for like" considering that the Mooregate/Tara bridge currently represents the main missing link along the Gatineau Hydro Corridor bicycle route. With a bicycle-friendly crossing, it would become the first continuous safe bicycle route across Scarborough. Once currently-planned work is completed, it will form a continuous bike route from downtown to the zoo accessible to everyone regardless of age or ability, except for this bridge which will be a big trek up and down.

Blue is bicycle paths or multi-use trails,
Green is bike lanes
Turquoise is signed bike routes along quiet residential streets

View attachment 282698

The TRCA's Meadoway plan shows a new alignment of the trail north of the current one, with a new bridge being constructed there. Not sure why this one is needed if that is going ahead...

Back