News   May 09, 2024
 614     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 486     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 818     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Here's another update on Guelph Go Station (with some really overexposed and backlit pictures). The first half of the tunnel is in place, and the elevator shaft is being formed up now. It's a shame it's so big as it gets in the way of the old station building a bit. Hopefully it's clad nicely to fit in, instead of being a giant concrete block infront of the station. Not holding my breath though.

IMG_20120928_122203.jpg

They're also working on putting in what looks to be a heated shelter. After all the improvements they're doing to the station I hope we get more than the measly five (soon to be four) trains each way a day we're getting now.

IMG_20120928_121553.jpg

Work is starting on an 18 story condo building across the street. It's going to be ugly and have too much parking, but the increased density will be good for downtown.

IMG_20120928_121623.jpg

And lastly a picture of the bus platforms, which have really come together now that some plants and the shelters are in.
IMG_20120928_122143.jpg

Thanks for the photos, RBG. The modernist bus station and the limestone row of buildings behind it makes your last photo look like it was out of Northern France, or somewhere like that. It's good to see Guelph build what seems like the only intermodal transportation station outside of the immediate GTA in Ontario, and in the middle of a historic downtown with tremendous potential to boot.

Thanks for the photos, RBG. The modernist bus station and the limestone row of buildings behind it makes your last photo look like it was out of Northern France, or somewhere like that. It's good to see Guelph build what seems like the only intermodal transportation station outside of the immediate GTA in Ontario, and in the middle of a historic downtown with tremendous potential to boot.

Hipster: absolutely. It reminds me a bit of the central bus station in Chartres.

Thanks for the update RBG.

Kitchener is well into the planning process for its own: (pretty pictures on page 12)

http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/gettingAround/resources/TransitHubInformationBoards.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks for that. The plans for Kitchener, plus the developments in Guelph and the increasing size of the downtown in Brampton just goes to show how much of a wasted opportunity the Georgetown line is right now. It goes through the downtowns of 4 cities of 100,000+ in 100 km! And not burned-out American downtowns, but relatively vibrant places that are generating growth and have plans to build local rapid transit through them.

I'm hopeful that when the Goderich-Exeter contract expires, someone in power (GO/CN/the government) will ensure that the next era of the North Mainline sees more improvements than this one. The development of the Kitchener intermodal terminal makes me wonder if the VIA service will remain unmanned for long; hope not.

And a couple of those cities are over 500k people! While GEXR has been a problem, at least we're finally getting CTC on the line, which is absolutely huge. I hope that, combined with the Georgetown south project, means that there's a good chance of increased service around 2015. Even if GO doesn't want to increase service, the communities along the north main line should get a few DMUs and run those, which they have talked about doing in the past.

The Kitchener inter-modal terminal looks fantastic. Once the current GO/VIA station moves there, is there a chance the Kitchener Layover will need to be built in order to release the lands around the old VIA station to development, and put Ahrens street through again? I'm hoping yes, as the layover seems to be one of the bigger barriers to increased service on the line.

Any more info on this condo?
Here's a link with some renderings of the condo. There's also the planing justification report if you're looking for more information. The city had a lot more online, but they seem to have removed most of it. This condo is the first in Guelph's new downtown plan to ring the historic downtown area with new development. Larger condos will be put on lower sites near the river, with the heights of buildings getting lower as the get close to the historic section of downtown.

Once the current GO/VIA station moves there, is there a chance the Kitchener Layover will need to be built in order to release the lands around the old VIA station to development, and put Ahrens street through again? I'm hoping yes, as the layover seems to be one of the bigger barriers to increased service on the line.

The original plan was to have a bigger GO layover site west of Kitchener, with the current site a cheaper temporary solution. Though the current site has nothing to do with the current VIA station - it's south/west of King Street (between it and Park Street).

Ahrens Street is closed not for the layover, but for the GO platform. However, this came up at the public meeting, and City of Kitchener staff were noncommittal about re-opening that street when the station is moved.

Ahrens Street is closed not for the layover, but for the GO platform. However, this came up at the public meeting, and City of Kitchener staff were noncommittal about re-opening that street when the station is moved.

But later when asked about the strengths of the site, they noted the grid pattern which makes for good pedestrian permeability. Hopefully they'll at least put in some kind of pedestrian crossing there at some point in the design process.

Ajax GO update: The parking garage construction continues, Lego-like. They now have most of the structure up but the southeast corner. Will need to be moving that crane soon.

Ajax GO update: The parking garage construction continues, Lego-like. They now have most of the structure up but the southeast corner. Will need to be moving that crane soon.

This is the parking garage at Ajax Go station. It was taken nearly 2 weeks ago, so the structure was 'half way' from completion by that time. I will try to take more pictures later on.
IMAG0004.jpg
IMAG0005.jpg
IMAG0006.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0004.jpg
    IMAG0004.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 325
  • IMAG0005.jpg
    IMAG0005.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 328
  • IMAG0006.jpg
    IMAG0006.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 333
Had a look at a number of GO projects on the Georgetown/Kitchener line on Monday after almost 5 months last visit.

Old Weston Rd is open until next year and haven't advance much for the flyunder south of CP tracks.

One pier still to be form and pour, but otherwise the rest of the supports will be finish end of the month for Black Creek. Not sure what the schedule is for bringing the steel in for the new bridges at this time.

It will be spring 2013 before CP can run trains over the new Denison Rd bridge.

Looking at the new Weston Station, not sure why an south entrance wasn't added off Hickory Tree Rd there, as it would make a short walk to the platform from the south. A ho hum layout.

Odd not seeing the old station.

From what I could see, CP is starting to install track #2 and it will be interesting to see what CP does for the curve off the main corridor since track #1 is where track #2 was and a smoother curve in the first place.

Some of the caissons for the flyunder tunnel are within 3' of CP track #2 at this time.

Back filling has taken place on the west side of Weston Rd for the new 3 tracks there with some back filling started on the east side. No retaining wall started for the new Weston Rd bridge at this time. All other work is completed from what I was seeing.

As for the new retaining wall north of Church St, it has been painted a light brown colour and waiting railing or fencing at this time.

For a holiday Monday, caught 5 trains on the line at Denison/Weston Station and Church St with one being a southbound CP with a new GO coach #2800 being the 2nd last car on the train.
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edit?ns=1&video_id=hU2qI2X8Ug8. This video shows part of the CP new bridge at Denison. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_AKR5vda5E

Could not get a look at the Humber bridge.

GO is supposed to tear up the bus terminal at Burlington South side so it can be in large to handle more GO buses as well BT.

BT is not sure at this time how to handle this redevelopment of the terminal and may move some routes over to the north terminal.

So heads up for riders going to Burlington starting about Dec 1 and it will be a number of months this work will take place.

As of January 1st, 2013, ""ALL" CNIB" riders will see the end to free transit rides and will have to pay transit fare from what I have heard. Have not seen this in writing yet. Section 38 will remain as is for free rides.

There are a number of new standards coming into effect on Jan 1st 2013 as well 2014 http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/source/regs/english/2011/elaws_src_regs_r11191_e.htm#BK53

Question: Are there still plans to add the luminous panels to the walkway from Pickering GO station over the 401?

And an actual construction update: The Ajax parking garage is now complete as far as the main structure itself. The cranes were removed about a month and a half ago. It looks like the concrete has now been coated and they're working on the interior finishing.

I happened by Pickering GO yesterday, and they are just beginning the process of assembling their garage--the stair towers are complete and it looks like maybe 1/8 of the panels are up.

Back