News   May 31, 2024
 979     6 
News   May 31, 2024
 3.4K     2 
News   May 31, 2024
 1K     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I actually drove by it today again and it appears as though the first bits of wrapping has begun to go up. it is on the south-western corner of the bridge, and there are currently 3 1ish foot wide metal looking (might be fritted glass, I couldn't tell) bands running up the facade. looks nice, but I didn't notice until it was too late to take photos.

Clarkson, Oakville, Burlington Update

Was out to Burlington today to catch up on a few projects I have not seen since Sept or never seen.

Clarkson Parking Structure has 2 stair towers up a few floors at the west end. Most of the footing that I could see are in place for the precast columns.

Oakville parking structure open in October and to go under major Redevelopment/Repairs starting January 7 to 28. Came upon a notice at Burlington station for the Oakville work which is odd considering I never saw one at Port Credit. It said that the panels on the 4th level are to be remove and replace. From what I saw from the train, it looks like the top 2 floors. Who is reasonable for this mess??

Riders are their own worse problems at Burlington station as they refused to read the notices and signs for the relocation of the station and the bus terminal. I was surprise to see that the main station office has been relocated to the north side. Have never seen any plans for the redevelopment of the bus terminal, but expect to see the same layout as Aldershot. I guess the current station will be expand and the reason for its relocation. I don't how many times we others were asked where the station and bus terminal was located as I sat in the old station or on the platform considering the various large signs on the platforms, in the station, outside the station.

I got tick off with a lady who asked me a number of times as well other how to get to the bus terminal. No matter how simple I could be, she could not get back up on the platform and walk to the other end by following the signs. Signs range from 8x14 to 24x36 including a mobile sign. Even if GO painted the platform with a route map, riders will be clueless how to follow painted line. Someone finally had to take this lady by the hand to get her to where she wanted to go. GO did a good job informing riders how to get to the new station and bus terminal.

Had my first look at the King Rd underpass today and the first section will not be open until the fall of 2013. I have before shot of the area when the new GO track was built. The bridge is for 4 tracks at this time and not sure if they plan for more, as that section is not completed from what I saw. This is a 2 lane underpass and it west of the current crossing. I expect the other 2 lanes will be built in 2014/15. I got a video of an westbound GO train crossing it as well a quick look around.
[video=youtube;Kp0X_p8-hQM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp0X_p8-hQM[/video]

Last edited:
Here is an eastbound shot of 615 crossing the bridge from the north side of King Rd Underpass.

The record light wasn't showing for my (sorry)comments at the end and look like I didn't record what I was shooting.
[video=youtube;0MC-lmS25yg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MC-lmS25yg[/video]

Was out to Burlington today to catch up on a few projects I have not seen since Sept or never seen.

Clarkson Parking Structure has 2 stair towers up a few floors at the west end. Most of the footing that I could see are in place for the precast columns.

Oakville parking structure open in October and to go under major Redevelopment/Repairs starting January 7 to 28. Came upon a notice at Burlington station for the Oakville work which is odd considering I never saw one at Port Credit. It said that the panels on the 4th level are to be remove and replace. From what I saw from the train, it looks like the top 2 floors. Who is reasonable for this mess??

Riders are their own worse problems at Burlington station as they refused to read the notices and signs for the relocation of the station and the bus terminal. I was surprise to see that the main station office has been relocated to the north side. Have never seen any plans for the redevelopment of the bus terminal, but expect to see the same layout as Aldershot. I guess the current station will be expand and the reason for its relocation. I don't how many times we others were asked where the station and bus terminal was located as I sat in the old station or on the platform considering the various large signs on the platforms, in the station, outside the station.

I used to use Burlington station frequently during the summer, but haven't been there recently. Are they ripping down the whole southern building and bus loop and redeveloping it?

Where did the office relocate to on the north side? I don't recall any office space there when I was there last. I may have to stop by and check it out.

I used to use Burlington station frequently during the summer, but haven't been there recently. Are they ripping down the whole southern building and bus loop and redeveloping it?

Where did the office relocate to on the north side? I don't recall any office space there when I was there last. I may have to stop by and check it out.

They have setup a temporary sales office and washrooms over in the north bus loop as well all the bus routes from the south side. They have built new loading bays over there also for BT routes.

I don't believe they plan on doing anything for the west entrance, as that is the only elevator location on the south side and it is non accessibly at this time.

As for the existing station, they need to put in a 2nd elevator there as well enlarge it, but have no info what is plan for it at this time. They can't tear it down now since its the only access to the platforms as well the washrooms and waiting area. The coffee place is gone also.

They have setup a temporary sales office and washrooms over in the north bus loop as well all the bus routes from the south side. They have built new loading bays over there also for BT routes.

I don't believe they plan on doing anything for the west entrance, as that is the only elevator location on the south side and it is non accessibly at this time.

As for the existing station, they need to put in a 2nd elevator there as well enlarge it, but have no info what is plan for it at this time. They can't tear it down now since its the only access to the platforms as well the washrooms and waiting area. The coffee place is gone also.

Hmm, interesting, thanks! I'll keep my eye on it, and whenever I happen to be there I'll snap a few pics.

apbFn.jpg

I remember reading that Exhibition station was going to a 5 track layout with one island platform on the north side and a south platform. Is that underway now? It is hard to see if there is movement on that front in the picture.

I remember reading that Exhibition station was going to a 5 track layout with one island platform on the north side and a south platform. Is that underway now? It is hard to see if there is movement on that front in the picture.

Yes it is and has been for months, but at a snail pace.

I was expecting to see a lot more in Nov from my June visit, but almost the same look.

They haven't started on the tunnel extension nor the elevator.

Maybe ready for Labour Day.

Just noticed today that the north pedestrian entrance (from Atlantic Ave) has been temporarily diverted. I assume for the tunnel entrance construction. That's the first sign of 5th track construction activity @ GO Exhibition in months.

Just noticed today that the north pedestrian entrance (from Atlantic Ave) has been temporarily diverted. I assume for the tunnel entrance construction. That's the first sign of 5th track construction activity @ GO Exhibition in months.

They were working on various things on my last visit on Dec 14. Never took any photos since there wasn't anything new to shoot from my June visit.

GO related somewhat: In June 2012 VIA, in cooperation with Goderich-Exeter Railway (GEXR), released a tender for major safety improvements and signal work on the Guelph Subdivision between Georgetown and London, Ontario. The work package includes Centralized Traffic Control (CTC) of approximately 90 miles (144 Km) of track as well as significant level crossing upgrades. Tenders have now closed and it is planned that the construction work will get underway this fall and will continue into 2013.

Sweet, about time too. Is the work related only to signals at the moment, or are there any plans for double-tracking or bridge widening like the bridge over the Credit west of Georgetown? I know it is pretty useless right now but the sooner the track is doubled to Kitchener, the sooner service can be increased (obviously there is fairly little demand atm but presumably there wouldn't be much more they could add with single track most of the way between Kitchener and Georgetown).

Back