News   Dec 09, 2019
 541     2 
News   Dec 09, 2019
 896     2 
News   Dec 09, 2019
 738     5 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
I wonder if the VIA Trains that use this corridor could get a dual-mode loco and use the electrification to their benefit.

Not only talking about whether its technically possible or worth it for them, but I mean more along the lines of would Metrolinx allow them to?

Whats the protocol on overhead power sharing? It must be different than allowing trains to use your track
Lots of ways to do it. For the power - options vary from "reading the meter" on each locomotive/EMU to negotiating a per train or even annual set price for the electricity using some base assumptions about the likely energy consumption. for operating and maintaining the catenary, determining the relative share of maintenance and operating costs to be covered would be much like determining dispatching and MOW maintenance charges. I'm sure that provision would just find its way into the service agreement between VIA and ML.

Have we heard anything that states definitively that CN and ML have reached an agreement over the Halton Sub section? The recent service improvements appear to imply that, and ML must have some confidence in CN's comfort with their plans to proceed with this TPAP . But I haven't seen anything saying this for the record. The concept of dual mode is speculative (and not a bad idea) - but do we know anything as fact?

Certainly a good question for upcoming town halls.

- Paul

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
I wonder if the VIA Trains that use this corridor could get a dual-mode loco and use the electrification to their benefit.

Not only talking about whether its technically possible or worth it for them, but I mean more along the lines of would Metrolinx allow them to?

Whats the protocol on overhead power sharing? It must be different than allowing trains to use your track
I don't think that there is any modern precedence to this here in Canada. (Yes, I'm aware that CN towed VIA's trains through the Mount Royal Tunnel, but neither of those organizations own nor use that stretch of track now. I also don't know how those arrangements operated, and if they were simply holdovers to when CN operated all of the services through there.)

In the US, Amtrak owns the majority of the North East Corridor and the overhead above it. Apparently their rates take into account not just power usage, but also maintenance and replacement costs as well, and so many of the commuter lines balk at the pricing offered - and thus operate diesel-powered trains under the overhead.

Dan

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
A shot of activity today at Bayview - looks like the turnout for the new third track to West Harbour is ready to be installed. Then comes the tracklaying. So nice to see this coming together. I'm told they may straighten out the kink in the tracks while they are at it.

The earthmoving on the north side that was commented on previously simply appears to be easing of the slope of the bank. I wonder whether new fencing is about to appear.

- Paul

20191123 Progress at Bayview.jpg

Allandale25

Member Bio
Reaction score
^ Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't they try for something like this? I assume there's a civil engineering reason relating to switch angles? Maybe even signaling? It's just tempting to draw a straight line extending the soon to be built third track cc @smallspy

20191123_155858.jpg

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
^Without measuring clearances or curves, that alignment would be exactly what CN would not want. The whole idea of the crossovers is to keep GO on the south most track, and to minimise conflict between those movements and London-bound trains (whose route diverges to the right).

The track alignment at Burlington and Aldershot is all about keeping freight on the north and GO on the south. This aligns to that.

- Paul

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
^Just to illustrate my point - just a few seconds after I took the above picture, this happened. See how CN relies on having both of the two London tracks available much of the time. There is a route possible from the middle track towards Hamilton, and that's used regularly by GO and Amtrak, if CN traffic permits. But running GO on the northmost track, and having it cross over in front of that eastbound, would be undesirable. That's why GO crosses over to the south at Burlington West and stays there until clear of the Dundas Sub.

- Paul
20191123 CN 3008.jpg

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
^ Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't they try for something like this? I assume there's a civil engineering reason relating to switch angles? Maybe even signaling? It's just tempting to draw a straight line extending the soon to be built third track cc @smallspy

View attachment 216605
On top of what Paul wrote, there is also a geometric reason why they won't do that.

Doing so would require the second switch to be a curved wye switch, which is not something that CN normally keeps in stock. Because it is non-standard, maintenance will be a bit more of a pain. As an additional minus, it's geometry may not be ideal for the speeds that CN wishes to operate at.

Dan

alexanderglista

Member Bio
Reaction score
A shot of activity today at Bayview - looks like the turnout for the new third track to West Harbour is ready to be installed. Then comes the tracklaying. So nice to see this coming together. I'm told they may straighten out the kink in the tracks while they are at it.

The earthmoving on the north side that was commented on previously simply appears to be easing of the slope of the bank. I wonder whether new fencing is about to appear.

- Paul

View attachment 216604
I wonder if the new track will use concrete ties. That seems to be the new norm for Metrolinx.

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
I wonder if the new track will use concrete ties. That seems to be the new norm for Metrolinx.
Because it is owned by CN, and to be installed by their forces, they are likely to go with the bare minimum that they need to be able to meet the necessary standards. So, no, it's not going to use concrete ties.

Dan

raptor

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've also found this notice of public meeting (for zones 4+5), however it already took place on Nov 12:

It's a shame this project doesn't include the actual second track. Makes me wonder when they'll get to it, 2026?
I still remember Metrolinx promised 2WAD electrified service on the Barrie line by 2025.

Edit: on second thought, perhaps the actual second track is part of the OnCorr contract.

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Nov 26
You forgot the other end.

The switch has been cut in at Bayview Junction.

Those snake tracks over by Desjardins Channel are to be straighten out. Switches have or are about to be cut in

Not edited nor tag correctly