News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.9K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 656     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

They run midday trains now, there is enough passing capacity for hourly service. The double track will enable better headways than that. But they don’t need complete double tracking to get to say 30 minute 2 way service.

The big constraint at the moment is actually when the peak service is running, because there isn’t any capacity to run in the opposite direction against a fleet of closer-spaced trains. At present midday service can’t start until the last rush hour train has reached Scarboro, and it has to finish before the first rush hour train comes out of downtown. So there are gaps in the schedule. It will take the full double tracking to remedy this.

Even more important, rush hour trains can’t double back to make a second run at rush hour. They do their one trip to Lincolnville and park for the night. That is very expensive, because it takes twice as many trains (at say $40M a trainset) to operate the service. The double tracking will improve the fleet efficiency dramatically.

- Paul
Kennedy Jct has to be done for this right? And that's 2023/4ish now.

They specifically dont want to add any more service on Stouffville or Barrie or Kitchener right now until the current work is done. I guess construction crews (well their unions and the company heads) were complaining about safety and what not working while adding more service, especially weekend service.
Has GO/ML made that statement? If they have, I have missed it.....and if they came out and said that people might be a bit more understanding. As it is (using GO-Kitchener as an example) all we see is an ability to run trains during the day (when work is possibly occurring) but not at night when work is not likely occurring.

Article from Guelph.

Overnight track improvements to continue until the end of the year, says Metrolinx
Metrolinx recently held two open house sessions to hear concerns directly from residents affected by the construction
about 6 hours ago by: Kenneth Armstrong

A spokesperson for Metrolinx said incremental improvements being completed between now and 2024 will work toward its commitment for two-way, all-day GO service between Kitchener and Toronto, including Guelph. Kenneth Armstrong/GuelphToday

A spokesperson for Metrolinx says track improvements being made in Guelph will improve the speed GO Trains will be able to achieve between the downtown station and Kitchener, but that doesn’t necessarily mean two-way all-day service to Toronto is around the corner.

Faster and more frequent GO service on the Kitchener-Toronto transit corridor is a priority due to the demand for transit options and the development potential of the region, said Scott Money, media relations for Metrolinx.

Currently, the train tracks used by the GO Train from the Guelph train station to city limits on the way to Kitchener are safe to use, but only at slow speeds, said Money.

“Safety is our number one priority,” said Money. “Slow orders have been issued through that section of the corridor for the safety of all trains (passenger and freight) using the tracks.”

The improvements currently being completed include upgrading two level crossings, replacing ties and ballasts and adding fencing. Some work is done during the day, but Money said some work needs to be completed overnight when rail traffic is lighter.

“We are sensitive to the community and we have kept them updated with regular notice of the work occurring near their homes. We limit our use of machinery to essential work and mitigate light impacts by pointing them away from residential areas,” said Money.

The volume, frequency and pitch of beepers used on heavy equipment when backing up is regulated by law and can’t be altered, Metrolinx noted in a handout given to residents at a recent open house.

Metrolinx recently held two open house sessions to hear concerns directly from residents affected by the construction.

Before two-way, all-day service can commence, Money said an agreement has to be made with CN Rail, who own a section of the corridor between Bramelea and Georgetown.

Money said there is currently a tender in the market for a technical advisor to look at all feasible options to improve journey times between Kitchener and Union Station in Toronto. The tender is expected to be awarded in early 2019.

Work on the Kitchener GO expansion plans include incremental service level improvements being made up to the year 2024 to deliver on the two-way, all-day commitments, said Money.

Some of that work is already yielding results, he said, including the recent announcement that two additional passenger cars have been added between Kitchener and Toronto during rush hour service, which was made possible after improvements were made to the Acton and Georgetown stations.

As part of the work currently being completed in Guelph, safety fencing will be added near more portions of track.

“Metrolinx encourages everyone to stay behind the yellow line at all stations, only use designated railway crossings, and never use train tracks as a short cut,” said Money. Preventing fatalities on our tracks by transit safety patrols, deterrence by means of physical barriers and intervention is a priority.”

The current maintenance project is expected to be finished by the end of the year.

I'm curious how substantial this work is, whether its actual rail replacement and upgrade, to a higher class of rail allowing for significant speed up or them just moving ballast around and re-levelling things

This round of improvements is in preparation for a bigger round next year. The biggest part of it before the winter will be upgrading the signals and fencing along Kent St. to upgrade the PSO from 10 to 30mph.

Next year will involve (re)building the sidings and installing signalling on them, and hopefully upgrading the zone speed on the line to 90mph. This would involve a improvement in track class.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

^ Fascinating. I'm in some ways amazed this PSO wasn't dealt with in advance of launching the GO service to Kitchener but I suppose time/money were factors.

I'm curious how substantial this work is, whether its actual rail replacement and upgrade, to a higher class of rail allowing for significant speed up or them just moving ballast around and re-levelling things

Two pictures from this summer that may help

It's not "moving ballast around" - it's putting down a proper subgrade instead of cinder ballast that dates from steam engine days, in a location that is constrained by concrete curbs, vegetation, roads, etc. And replacing track materials. etc. And fixing sightlines.

- Paul

20180723 VIA 85.jpg
20180723 VIA 6407 Guelph 85.jpg

Attachments

• 20180723 VIA 85.jpg
    20180723 VIA 85.jpg
    449.4 KB · Views: 785
  • 20180723 VIA 6407 Guelph 85.jpg
    20180723 VIA 6407 Guelph 85.jpg
    440.1 KB · Views: 735
why would the MPP from Etobicoke Centre be there?

Maybe a case of "Hey, Billy, there will never be a GO announcement in my riding in the next 4 years so can I come along to your's?"
Lol , she is the Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Transportation, maybe that's why...
20181005_141641.jpg

I just drove by the station today. No sign of construction except this...

Attachments

• 20181005_141641.jpg
    20181005_141641.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 504
This round of improvements is in preparation for a bigger round next year. The biggest part of it before the winter will be upgrading the signals and fencing along Kent St. to upgrade the PSO from 10 to 30mph.

Next year will involve (re)building the sidings and installing signalling on them, and hopefully upgrading the zone speed on the line to 90mph. This would involve a improvement in track class.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
That's a big track speed upgrade.

All-day train service between Kitchener and Guelph would be useful with a double-track 90mph corridor. (With a Breslau stop in between). Either alone or as part of an all-day 2-way Kitchener-Toronto service.

All-day train service between Kitchener and Guelph would be useful with a double-track 90mph corridor. (With a Breslau stop in between). Either alone or as part of an all-day 2-way Kitchener-Toronto service.

I know the initial report (don't recall if it was a BCA or something else) on the Kitchener extension epected substantial Kitchener - Guelph traffic as soon as 2 way all day was in place. It definitely helps the case for full service all the way to Kitchener.

^ Fascinating. I'm in some ways amazed this PSO wasn't dealt with in advance of launching the GO service to Kitchener but I suppose time/money were factors.

Ownership was likely a factor too, service was launched in Dec 2011, Mx took ownership in Sept 2014.

Hear hear. How the hell is there no direct KW-Guelph service, even for buses?

But the speed is atrocious. The schedule allows 24 minutes between Kitchener and Guelph (avg. speed ~ 55 km/h). Guelph to Acton is 17 minutes (avg. speed ~ 75 km/h). The real crime is the slowness through Silver Junction and Georgetown GO still being a thing, even after all the work there. Where tf is that mainline platform?!

Back