News   Apr 26, 2024
 461     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 358     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 556     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Alma Street crossing in Guelph this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_4516.JPG
    IMG_4516.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 274
Major Mackenzie and Highway 404 Park and Ride:
IMG_3387.jpg IMG_3388.jpg IMG_3391.jpg IMG_3393.jpg IMG_3394.jpg IMG_3397.jpg IMG_3399.jpg IMG_3401.jpg IMG_3403.jpg IMG_3404.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3387.jpg
    IMG_3387.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_3388.jpg
    IMG_3388.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_3391.jpg
    IMG_3391.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_3393.jpg
    IMG_3393.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_3394.jpg
    IMG_3394.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_3397.jpg
    IMG_3397.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_3399.jpg
    IMG_3399.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_3401.jpg
    IMG_3401.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_3403.jpg
    IMG_3403.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_3404.jpg
    IMG_3404.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 382
This is oddly encouraging since he is calling it effective.

I don't think he's calling GO effective, but saying that the platform is to build effective transit (effective being undefined, of course.)

^ I believe they are planning to test it first at the platforms on the new Union Station Platform.

There is a developer trying to build out some condos next door right now, the first phase launched sales recently. There isn't much of an apartment market in Durham though so it's a tough sell. The GO station is just to the left of the site plan, about a 5 minute walk. There is also the "San Fransisco By the Bay" project under construction about a 5 minute walk in the other direction from the station.

Universal-City-Preview-Brochure_Page_05.jpg

Going to try to get a look at the work at Humber on Sunday for the lakeshore line.

Anyone who wants to try to get videos and photos of the action for Canpa Sub at the Galt Sub, trains show up in both direction around 5 after the hour. As for VIA, thats a hard guess, but left the bridge today and walking up TTC east ramp when an eastbound pass me as I looked out the window about 10:15 am

Westbound use the very south track and #1 on the Canpa Sub. The eastbound used Canpa #2 and connected to track 2 and then to 1. An eastbound train was using the very north track.

I was going to wait to see if an westbound VIA train was on track 2 behind the GO train, but the wind had eat at me while waiting for the trains. Just miss a meet as I was heading that way.

Looks like windows being put back in place for Kipling and the west end would be a great place to catch the action, but not this year.

Did catch a couple trains last weekend, but turn out they were going to Milton after I was parking the car and getting into it to go home.

The Lake Shore East expansion project EA report is now with the Ministry for approval. (Union Station Rail Corridor (USRC) East Enhancements Project and the Environmental Project Report (EPR) from the Transit Project Assessment Process (TPAP) The West Don lands Committee (a consortium of local groups) has sent in strong objections. Full document not (yet?) on www but outline is:

The West Don Lands Committee wishes to register Objections to the USRC East Enhancement Project and the conclusions of the TPAP EPR. Our Objections spring from an inadequate resolution of three matters of great concern to local community members that have been raised during the public consultation process:

1. Noise & vibration mitigation for residential properties immediately adjacent to the USRC East, 2. Mitigation of the worsening of unsafe, inadequate and aesthetically unpleasant conditions for pedestrians and cyclists using the four rail underpasses at Jarvis, Sherbourne, Parliament and Cherry Streets 3. Justification of the decision to impose profound and permanent impacts on residents of the St. Lawrence and West Don Lands communities by adding a new rail line (E0) inside what would normally be required by Metrolinx to be a buffer zone to protect residential residents from the effects of rail operation.

Much of the failure to resolve the issues arises directly from the decision to start the TPAP process on April 19, 2018 knowing that, because of the Provincial election scheduled for June 7, Metrolinx would be unavailable for public engagement during much of the study period. In fact, public engagement was suspended from May 4 until August 14, 2018, making it impossible for issues raised by the public and the Community Advisory Committee (CAC) to be fully explored and resolved before the Notice of Completion was issued. Metrolinx rejected the request of members of the CAC to extend the study period to make up for the election related suspension of engagement."

If you choose to live next to a major rail line, you should expect expansion. I do not feel sorry for these people.
They are not opposing expansion and like the idea of better transit but want it done properly with proper noise abatement measures taken and more thought given to the four 'bridges' (Jarvis, Sherbourne, Parliament and Cherry) which will be made much 'wider'. They are also objecting to the fact that Metrolinx managed to avoid a lot of public consultation by starting the process just before the election was called and stopping it not long after.

^ There's a very high bar for the Ministry to reject an Environmental Project Report or impose conditions and I'm not sure if any of the issues identified meet those tests.

Also, Tory will want this expansion for Smart Track and the PC MPPs will want it for the GO expansion for Barrie (these tracks are necessary for that service even though it's on the east side according to a page in one of the presentations). So there will be a desire focus on keeping expansion on time.

Last edited:
The Lake Shore East expansion project EA report is now with the Ministry for approval. (Union Station Rail Corridor (USRC) East Enhancements Project and the Environmental Project Report (EPR) from the Transit Project Assessment Process (TPAP) The West Don lands Committee (a consortium of local groups) has sent in strong objections. Full document not (yet?) on www but outline is:

The West Don Lands Committee wishes to register Objections to the USRC East Enhancement Project and the conclusions of the TPAP EPR. Our Objections spring from an inadequate resolution of three matters of great concern to local community members that have been raised during the public consultation process:

1. Noise & vibration mitigation for residential properties immediately adjacent to the USRC East, 2. Mitigation of the worsening of unsafe, inadequate and aesthetically unpleasant conditions for pedestrians and cyclists using the four rail underpasses at Jarvis, Sherbourne, Parliament and Cherry Streets 3. Justification of the decision to impose profound and permanent impacts on residents of the St. Lawrence and West Don Lands communities by adding a new rail line (E0) inside what would normally be required by Metrolinx to be a buffer zone to protect residential residents from the effects of rail operation.

Much of the failure to resolve the issues arises directly from the decision to start the TPAP process on April 19, 2018 knowing that, because of the Provincial election scheduled for June 7, Metrolinx would be unavailable for public engagement during much of the study period. In fact, public engagement was suspended from May 4 until August 14, 2018, making it impossible for issues raised by the public and the Community Advisory Committee (CAC) to be fully explored and resolved before the Notice of Completion was issued. Metrolinx rejected the request of members of the CAC to extend the study period to make up for the election related suspension of engagement."
Well!! what new for this group since it has opposed a lot of things related to Transit on the Waterfront since 2007, even though they supported the Cherry St ROW.

Then, you got a new group of residents who only being living here a few years now. With the opening of new building for use, you got people who never look at what existed long before they bought or rent there without looking at the area. All expansion plans have never been seen by these clueless even thought they been around since 2008+ and could have been seen during their visit before buying or rent.

Metrolinx now has a Lakeshore West bridges page on their Greater Region website. Includes a handy map.
Gosh, I had wrongly assumed that the missing bridge at Dowling and the temporary bridges at Dunn and Dufferin over the Metrolinx corridor were three of these bridges. But I hadn't been paying much attention.

So that's another project (or more) to come I assume.

This is correct. An issue must be 'of provincial significance', or impacts to an Aboriginal or treaty right.
Or simply something that's missing or deficient. I've never seen one which skipped much of the required consultation before - but I'd think it's a simple procedure to request an amendment with additional consultation. Particularly when there's no rush - as there likely isn't with the new government looking for ways to spend much less capital than it's predecessor.

Or simply something that's missing or deficient. I've never seen one which skipped much of the required consultation before - but I'd think it's a simple procedure to request an amendment with additional consultation. Particularly when there's no rush - as there likely isn't with the new government looking for ways to spend much less capital than it's predecessor.

What kind or extent of consultation was missed in your mind?

Back