News   Jul 15, 2024
 485     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 591     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2.1K     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Why would there be? There is no sign of their political masters and funders in Queens Park committing to it.
During campaign I asked my PC candidate whether they support the Stouffville RER and he said that they fully supported it. Guess that doesn't mean anything?

I was desperately hoping for more concrete information and progress on RER.

Firstly, the term "RER" is dead, but the project isn't (yet). RER is now being called "GO Expansion". We can all guess why, but I suspect it was too much tied to the old government.

Secondly, the recent board docs had a big tidbit on RER, and where we will see in a clear cut manner if the Ford government supports it. From the Capital Projects Report, page 9-10:
On-Corridor:
The RFQ for the Design-Build-Finance-Operate-Maintain (DBFOM) contract is anticipated to close in September 2018. The project team is preparing to submit the stage 2 application to Treasury Board as the next step prior to the release of the RFP. The stage 2 Treasury Board submission will include revised cost estimates based on a refined Reference Concept Design that includes a train service plan, fleet strategy and infrastructure configuration. The Reference Concept Design proves that at least one solution exists and bidding teams will be required to develop their own solution to meet the defined service requirements.

This is uber important. The Treasury Board at Queen's Park must rubber stamp the massive On Corridor Package before it can be released as an RFP. This really is the make or break moment for the project.

^ "revised cost estimates based on a refined Reference Concept Design" - wonder what was "revised" and "refined".

"The Reference Concept Design proves that at least one solution exists" - wonder what the sokusolu is that's being referenced.

Firstly, the term "RER" is dead, but the project isn't (yet). RER is now being called "GO Expansion". We can all guess why, but I suspect it was too much tied to the old government.

Secondly, the recent board docs had a big tidbit on RER, and where we will see in a clear cut manner if the Ford government supports it. From the Capital Projects Report, page 9-10:

This is uber important. The Treasury Board at Queen's Park must rubber stamp the massive On Corridor Package before it can be released as an RFP. This really is the make or break moment for the project.
That's exactly my point. For a multi billion dollar project such as RER (or whatever you want to call it), a one liner update is not acceptable.

I find the claim that (gist) "RER is a term that is dead" (as a result of the election) puzzling. The previous Admin was already morphing the lines and application of the term, for whatever reason. It was plastic then:
Here's from April 3 of this year:
Request for Qualifications Issued for Transformational GO Rail Project
April 03, 2018
TORONTO - Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and Metrolinx have issued a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) for interested parties to design build, finance, operate and maintain the GO Rail expansion project.

The RFQ outlines the scope of work required, which includes:

• Operation of train services including train driving
  • Timetable planning, train control and dispatch for all operators across the GO-owned network
  • Design, build, finance, integration, maintenance of the railway corridor (civil infrastructure, tracks, electrification, signaling)
  • Refurbishment, maintenance, servicing and cleaning of all rolling stock and procurement of new rolling stock
  • Construction of new maintenance and train storage and/or layover facilities
  • Reconstruction of Union Station track and platforms
  • Compliance with Metrolinx safety, security and emergency management policies
This project is part of the province's GO Expansion (RER) program. GO RER will provide faster and more frequent service on the GO Transit Rail network with electrification on core segments, including the Union Pearson Express. The program will provide new travel choices for commuters, significantly increase transit ridership, cut journey times and help manage congestion across the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area.

The RFQ is the first step in the procurement process to select a team to deliver the project. IO and Metrolinx will evaluate submissions to prequalify project teams with the relevant design, construction, rail operations, maintenance, system integration experience and financial capacity to undertake a project of this size and complexity. Interested companies must register with www.merx.com to download the RFQ.

Quick Facts:

• The province is investing $21.3 billion to transform the GO rail network from a commuter transit system to a regional rapid transit system.
  • The project is being delivered as a Design Build Finance Operate Maintain (DBFOM) contract using Infrastructure Ontario's Alternative Financing and Procurement (AFP) model, which transfers risks associated with the design, construction, maintenance, operations and financing of the project to the private sector.
http://www.infrastructureontario.ca...Issued-RER-GO-Regional-Express-Rail-Corridor/

The above was the "announcement" for this:
Regional Express Rail - GO Regional Express Rail on Corridor
[...]
About the Project:
The DBFOM project includes a system-wide plan to improve GO Transit service.
[...]
http://www.infrastructureontario.ca/RER-GO-Regional-Express-Rail-Corridor/

Last edited:
That's exactly my point. For a multi billion dollar project such as RER (or whatever you want to call it), a one liner update is not acceptable.

New government. Happens every four years. Similar situation to other infrastructure projects. And the government is doing the line by line review. Obviously not ideal but not usual given our system of gov.

I find the claim that (gist) "RER is a term that is dead" (as a result of the election) puzzling. The previous Admin was already morphing the lines and application of the term, for whatever reason. It was plastic then:
Here's from April 3 of this year:

http://www.infrastructureontario.ca...Issued-RER-GO-Regional-Express-Rail-Corridor/

The above was the "announcement" for this:
Regional Express Rail - GO Regional Express Rail on Corridor
[...]
About the Project:
The DBFOM project includes a system-wide plan to improve GO Transit service.
[...]
http://www.infrastructureontario.ca/RER-GO-Regional-Express-Rail-Corridor/

Regardless of when it died it’s dead now, and “GO Expansion” has taken its place. I have this on good authority.

New government. Happens every four years. Similar situation to other infrastructure projects. And the government is doing the line by line review. Obviously not ideal but not usual given our system of gov.
For the record, it's been the same with the liberals. Always went into great details on how their customer service is so great, and piles of useless studies, but one liner updates on the big stuff.

During campaign I asked my PC candidate whether they support the Stouffville RER and he said that they fully supported it. Guess that doesn't mean anything?
It is time now to contact the candidate-become-MPP and remind them of said conversation and inquire about the current status of the project.

^I’m technology limited this week, so I can’t crosscheck that table with budgeted dollars againt the values in previous versions, but working from memory, it appears to have restated values. That says to me that the projects, by whatever name, have seen some political reality checking, but nothing much has been chopped. That’s very good news.

The Finch LRT is mentioned as proceeding, without any qualifiers suggesting it is being rethought. That’s good news.

The commentary on the 401 tunnel contains the words “after electrification”........interesting choice of words.

The Kitchener Bypass is mentioned, with no mention of CN at all. I wonder what that means.

- Paul

^I’m technology limited this week, so I can’t crosscheck that table with budgeted dollars againt the values in previous versions, but working from memory, it appears to have restated values.

Good observation. I'm going to double check.

It is time now to contact the candidate-become-MPP and remind them of said conversation and inquire about the current status of the project.
likely response:
”I have spoken to the Premier’s office and have been told that I misspoke”

I would rather make the inquiry than assume.
I wouldn’t stand in your way, and it would be delightful if you got an answer that was honest and reflected government intentions. But Ontarian/Canadian politics in the 2000s has succumbed to dreadful levels of central control.

Have a look at Jennifer Gray’s presentation to the Board on Key Performance indicators.... has a scoreboard indicator for Capital Project Milestones which shows that there are 124 project milestones to be completed in FY 2018. As of June, 30 have been completed versus a traget of 35.
The burning question is..... what are these 124 milestones?
One would hope that this is a sign that ML is moving to greater transparency, and would divulge these on requests.... but just in case:
To anyone out there who has the funding to file FOI requests: hint, hint....

- Paul

Back